Ovechkin vs Kucherov

Who is better right now?

• Total voters

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Did the Caps win the presidents by 20+ points? Did Ovi lead the league by 20+ points?

Kucherov and Tampa were head and shoulders over everyone in the league.

Kuch didn't lead the league by 20+ points don't try and lie. Ovi won the hart trophy that season. It might just be the worst playoffs by a hart trophy winner ever. Definitely a bigger choke than Kucherov. And that Capitals team definitely wasn't bad either.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Kuch didn't lead the league by 20+ points don't try and lie. Ovi won the hart trophy that season. It might just be the worst playoffs by a hart trophy winner ever. Definitely a bigger choke than Kucherov. And that Capitals team definitely wasn't bad either.
IIRC he had a hairline fracture broken foot in the Rangers series in which he had 2 points in 7 games.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
For me Ovi, he has the immense consistency in his game. Kucherov has an enormous skill range as well. But Ovi has the leadership skills.
I hope Ovi can entertain us a bit more in the playoffs althou the Canes would deserve it as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did the Caps win the presidents by 20+ points? Did Ovi lead the league by 20+ points?

Kucherov and Tampa were head and shoulders over everyone in the league.

You are right Kucherov led the league in scoring by a much higher margin than Ovechkin ever did so he must be better plain and simple.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You are right Kucherov led the league in scoring by a much higher margin than Ovechkin ever did so he must be better plain and simple.
Peak RS Ovie had 10 points in 7 games
Peak RS Kuch had 2 points in 3 games

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
In terms of an 82-game season and building for the foreseeable future, I'd obviously take Kucherov, but in terms of wanting to make a deep playoff run, I'd still take any of the big three (Sid, Ovi and Geno) over young studs like Kuch and McDavid due to what I've seen them accomplish already

This is a good take. Experience matters in the playoffs. Obviously the young guys make up for lack of experience by being good in the RS and getting a better seed, but it takes time and failures to become a playoff star.

No, i take Ovechkin becasue he is better. Even at his age the caps rely on him or they are ****ed. I have a hard time thinking TB relies on Kucherov the same way. There is no doubt Kucherov is a great player but Ovechkin he is not nor will he ever be.

I would argue this playoffs showed we need Kuch. He was bad this series and we got smacked. I would argue he and Hedman are far and away the most important players on the Bolts. Stamkos and Point are good and can drive a line but they are relied on more for scoring goals than actually running the offense. Kucherov makes his mark with his passing and OZone control, while Hedman is just a beast all around.

Regardless Ovi's peak of 65g 113p is better than 41g 128 considering eras, but right now i'd take 41/128 over 51/89 anyday

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
why are there so many OV votes? This makes no sense to me.

This is similar to the Crosby vs McDavid debate a few years ago. After 2017 - a 2017 a lot of people were calling McDavid the best in the world, and some were saying it's still Crosby. Crosby had just been runner up to Ross/Hart, won the rocket, won 2 smythes. McDavid had the Ross (100 points) and hart.
By the next year - McDavid had won another ross (108 points) and Crosby didn't have another smythe and almost everyone said McDavid > Crosby

To me the case for Kucherov > Ovechkin is even stronger.

Kucherov has outscored Ovechkin significantly for 3 straight years, not 2.
Ovechkin does have a smythe - but 1, not 2 in a row.
Kucherov scored 128 points!!! McDavid had only scored 100, and then 108. That's a huge gap.

Kucherov is the better player.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I voted Ovechkin, because yeah homer vote, but also because I think teams specifically gameplan against Ovechkin much more than they do Kucherov.

So while Ovechkin isn't scoring, I feel that he affects the game even when he does absolutely nothing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's clear OV saves himself for the playoffs. Why have the best regular season when you can repeat?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What does the above even mean?:huh:
Ovie's best season Caps lost to Habs in 7, but Ovie still had 10 points in 7 games
Kucherov's best season he has 2 points in 3 games and clean sweeped by #8 seeded team

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
yeah no. This is just all magic thinking, nobody takes any player over McDavid unless that person is insane. Even for a playoff run I take McDavid over anyone in a heartbeat.
Funny how a history of production in the playoffs is "magic thinking". Mcdavid hasn't proven anything in the playoffs. Which one of these is "magic thinking"?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Ovi choking in the playoffs again but what's new. He sure is lucky Kuznetsov carried him to a cup or he would've been known as a choker for the rest of his life.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ovi choking in the playoffs again but what's new. He sure is lucky Kuznetsov carried him to a cup or he would've been known as a choker for the rest of his life.

9pts in 7 games is choking? OV put up more pts in 1 game than Kucherov did in his series, not sure why you're still talking.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
At this moment and strictly going on a points basis it is Kuch. He is the better points producer. Ovi is no slouch and a phenomenal goal scorer but the last two seasons Kuch has been a better producer through the regular season. Ovi has the slight advantage in PPGin the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad