Ovechkin vs Kucherov

Who is better right now?

• Total voters

8isgreat

Feb 26, 2017
After a disappointing playoff for kuch, and a strong playoff start for ovi I feel this poll is appropriate.

Both are unbelievable but who is the better hockey player right now?

Personally I would say kuch but it is very very close imo.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
The guy who just scored 40 more points. And there really isn’t a big difference in the playoffs despite what you might think.

If you take away all of Kucherov’s goals Ovechkin has 2 more points than him.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
It's still clearly Ovechkin and the playoffs cement it. He's still as unstoppable out there as ever and he's been the Capitals best player in pretty much every game this postseason. He was clearly pacing himself over the final 15 or so games because he's driving play and he's faster in the playoffs.

Kucherov was incredible but he's been contained repeatedly by physicality in the playoffs, you still can't do that to Ovechkin.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The guy who just scored 40 more points. And there really isn’t a big difference in the playoffs despite what you might think.

If you take away all of Kucherov’s goals Ovechkin has 2 more points than him.
There's a clear divide in this postseason between the 2 players performance on the ice, like night and day difference.

Reactions: IvanMalison

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Kucherov by a mile. The regular season disparity is too much to overlook. If ovi has another solid deep po run then it's close

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV was better last regular season, last playoffs and this playoffs. Kucherov was better this regular season though. But since he's turned into Stamkos Jr, I'll take OV.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ovechkin is still great but Kucherov is a superstar in his prime. It's not fair to Kucherov to bring him down because of 1 playoff series where the whole team sucked. He's not the first and won't be the last great player to get shut down in 1 series. 4 games (well, he only played in 3) is a very small sample size. I mean, if Tampa completed the comeback in game 4, and get a spark as a team, Kucherov could just as easily have a 3 point game in the next one and end up with 5 pts in 5 games as he had 2 apples to begin with.

Overall i've thought Kucherov has been good in the playoffs throughout his career. Most of the time Tampas most dangerous forward. He's a skill player and when the opposing team succeeds in shutting him down, he doesn't bring a whole lot which makes it look like the classic "no show". But that's the way it usually goes for skill wingers who aren't physically dominant. When it's not working they look soft, when it's working feels like they can create magic out of nothing plays. Heck, there's been times in Ovechkin's career when he's almost looked like a black hole offensively 5v5 in the playoffs.

Anyway, i thought 16/17 was the season when Kucherov hit a new level. Numbers weren't as flashy since Tampa wasn't a playoff team that year, but since that season he has 313 points in 236 games. Also 120 goals. He's basically a 40 goal, 100+ point guy at this point in terms of expectations. Ovechkin is still the best goalscorer in the league, and does bring grit, but he hasn't hit 90 points in literally 10 years.

The way i see it i'd be almost disrespectful to Kucherov if i didn't give him the credit he deserves, he's the best winger in the game right now. Playoffs, if anything, is a team effort.

But it's close, stats from this season definitely don't reflect the difference between the two. Still, if 128 points isn't enough to give the mantle of best winger in the game then i don't know what is.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
It's still clearly Ovechkin and the playoffs cement it. He's still as unstoppable out there as ever and he's been the Capitals best player in pretty much every game this postseason. He was clearly pacing himself over the final 15 or so games because he's driving play and he's faster in the playoffs.

Kucherov was incredible but he's been contained repeatedly by physicality in the playoffs, you still can't do that to Ovechkin.

You value 4 games over 82 games? Ovechkin has never scored in his career 128 points, most was on his prime 113. Right now it's Kucherov and it's not close.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
And cant even finish ppg in playoffs, nor even get 1 win for team, nor score even one goal.

Tampa and Kucherov had an embarrassingly bad playoffs but doesnt mean they auto suck as players.

128 points is still a higher level than Ovechkin in 2019 and hence hes the better player today

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Tampa and Kucherov had an embarrassingly bad playoffs but doesnt mean they auto suck as players.

128 points is still a higher level than Ovechkin in 2019 and hence hes the better player today
Ya, but it has to be considered. Like Gaudreau had 99 pts and was trash in playoffs. Some people will say Gaudreau > Ovi because 99>89. But Ovi >>>>> Gaudreau, Kucherov in playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ya, but it has to be considered. Like Gaudreau had 99 pts and was trash in playoffs. Some people will say Gaudreau > Ovi because 99>89. But Ovi >>>>> Gaudreau, Kucherov in playoffs.

99 isnt 128.

No issue saying Ovechkin is better than Gaudreau - he is

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
There’s never been a point in their careers where I’ve ranked Kucherov over Ovie. Kucherov had a more productive regular season than Ovie, but Ovie’s at an age where historic players treat the regular season cavalierly irrespective of sport. You’ve seen Lebron doing that in the NBA (it’s the reason that LeBron hasn’t won an MVP award in half a decade despite the fact that he was universally considered the best player in the sport until this year). Regular season accolades mean virtually nothing to them, they are judged solely on postseason success, so they spend swaths of the season coasting (it’s a mark of their greatness that LeBron and Ovechkin still put up gaudy counting numbers despite this reality).

When the postseason comes around though, you can literally see the difference in them and other players. I don’t know how you watch Ovechkin’s impact on a postseason game and series, even beyond goals and assists and think that Kucherov is anywhere near as impactful as Ovie. Ovechkin is physically dominant at a time when the physicality of the game ramps up.

Think of it this way, if you needed to win a postseason series against a good team, which player would you pick first? That’s your answer on who the better player is.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
You value 4 games over 82 games? Ovechkin has never scored in his career 128 points, most was on his prime 113. Right now it's Kucherov and it's not close.

Ovechkin at his best was better than Kucherov is now. This was the highest scoring season since 2006, so you can't compare point totals from this season straight up with peak point totals for players who peaked in the late 2000s/early 2010s. Ovechkin also scored 65 goals (which Kucherov hasn't come close to doing) on a team that wasn't nearly as good as this year's Lightning.

With that said, yes, Kucherov is better now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad