Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I know you don’t realize this, but scoring becomes less the further you go in the playoffs. The fact that crosby and
Malkin have higher ppg averages in the playoffs than ovi is quite impressive considering they been to the conference finals 4 times and the conference finals 5 times I believe. I’m too lazy to look it up, but how many times has ovi made it out of the 2nd round? I know it’s way less then 5.

For reference re: Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Kane playoff scoring - Is catching Gretzky in goals enough for Ovechkin to surpass Crosby?

Short summary of that post: When comparing those 4 playoff resumes, their performances in aggregate in the 2nd round and beyond are very similar, with Crosby and Malkin having a larger sample. The gap in PPG is driven entirely by Crosby/Malkin's 1st round performance, which in turn is driven partially by them facing an easier set of goaltending matchups due to seeding randomness. If you look at common goaltending matchups between Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin, again their PPGs are similar (both faced Biron once, Lundqvist twice, Bobrovsky once). The gap gets created when Pittsburgh faces Martin Gerber in Ottawa, or Brian Elliott in Ottawa, or Evgeni Nabokov for the Islanders.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I know you don’t realize this, but scoring becomes less the further you go in the playoffs. The fact that crosby and
Malkin have higher ppg averages in the playoffs than ovi is quite impressive considering they been to the conference finals 4 times and the conference finals 5 times I believe. I’m too lazy to look it up, but how many times has ovi made it out of the 2nd round? I know it’s way less then 5.

If ovi breaks the record he’s top ten for sure. I think ovi is the rare player that has gotten absolutely everything out of his talent. He scores goals like nobody in his era, and he shoots more than anyone ever has in the game. This isn’t a knock btw, but there’s no doubt there isn’t many more goals he could’ve scored. The thing is if some of the past greats had this mentality they would’ve scored 100 plus without question. They were however much more complete players
No I realize that, a majority of Malkin and Crosby’s point totals have come out of the first two rounds. Which isn’t uncommon, especially Crosby, who has a crazy PPG from the first round alone.

I think that’s a reach, to suggest they could have scored but decided to be more “complete” players. I don’t know who you are referring to but it’s already been proven that many haven’t scored at the pace or at the level Ovechkin has, which is why he’s in the conversation as the goat. He does what he does best, and that’s score goals. Just because last greats were more offensively dynamic doesn’t mean they could have scored more goals and had been more dominant and “decided” not to.

Ovechkin does one thing arguably better than anyone else in the history of the game, and it happens to be scoring goals.....which is the key to the game itself, to score. That should get more praise than his “lack of” whatever it is that many try to suggest makes him less.
Only in your mind is Crosby and ovechkin apples and oranges. No serious hockey mind would agree
Only fix minded posters like yourself would say otherwise. You honestly think they are the same style? Same kind of player? One is a goal scorer, the other a playmaker. One is about speed and physicality, the other about Finesse and possession. One is a center, one is a winger....

how you can sit there and suggest otherwise is beyond me. They aren’t similar even in the slightest, and any intelligent hockey fan would agree with me....
Being under a PPG in the playoffs while playing 90% of your games in the first 2 rounds isn’t gonna cut it. If he has 1 or 2 more strong post seasons, then he will pass Jagr, who’s playoff resume is lacking compared to the other all time greats.
And yet piling on more than half your points in the first round is? Again, your standards are all over the place and you use them at your convenience. If you actually knew anything, you would at least understand that it’s harder to score in the playoffs, and despite playing 30 more games than Ovechkin, Crosby only has one more goal.

His “under PPG” production is 126 points in 128 games, a .98 PPG. It still sits third since ‘06 only behind Crosby and Malkin. His 65 goals is only second to Crosby. He’s been a great playoff performer, respect his production for what it is rather than how it isn’t Crosby’s.

Jagr actually has great playoff production. I honestly have no clue what your talking about. He has 2 cups with 201 points in 208 games, which is 5th best ALL TIME. Sure he isn’t a PPG, but that’s what happens when you play more games for longer in your career. He had some deep playoff runs well into his 40s that weren’t the most productive, while his peak was without Lemieux a majority of the time on mediocre teams, yet his playoff production during those years was still great.
So double down on some % (and there are others besides MJ here) instead of being consistent in extreme positions?

Ovechkin has some holes in his game when being compared to the top 10 players of all time.

Indeed even among the top 4 there isn't a consensus on the order as each of those players have their strengths and weaknesses.

The main strength and meat of Ovechkin is his goal scoring but outside of that he is a bit lacking compared to other top 10 guys in consideration.

He isn't done yet so there is still time and he is a top 20ish guy almost by consensus at this point.
Isn’t it the same logic then to say that some of the top 10 are lacking in what Ovechkin is superior at? I mean this goes into really what you see or value more. Outside of the big 4, who arguably was a better goal scorer, had a better peak/prime, and was more consistent? I can only think of Hull, Bourque, and Roy at the moment. Of course Crosby is there too.
Go look at the top 20 players in the top 100 from the history board.

It doesn't matter if you like or agree with the list per se - just look at the top 20. How many of those players have a better overall playoff resume than Ovi? If your answer isnt at least over 15 'you're probably being very biased. It might even be closer to 20 than 15.

2 years ago Ovis playoffs were a weakness. Never past 2nd round was a bad thing. I know - team sport etc. Thats true - but a player of his caliber you also want to see actual results. The cup and smythe were tremendous. His playoffs are no longer a weakness in his resume. However - they still mostly fail to compare to the other candidates for top 10 all time.

He does have a super strong regular season resume. Thats obviously is a plus vs some of those top 20 players.

But to answer your question - thats why he needs a few more good playoff runs (ideally past 2nd round). To help rise his placement all time.
2 years ago he wouldn’t be considered an all time great at all without ANY playoff success. He needed a cup, and if lucky, a smythe to even be considered. His regular seasons resume alone is superior to a good chunk of the top 20....but he would never rank higher because of his playoff resume.

2 years later, he has a Stanley cup and smythe, but now he needs MORE playoff success. It’s the constant goal posts moving that I am referring to. This guy is arguably the best LW to ever play, or at least 2nd best at worst. He still has playoff success, but that doesn’t seem to have made a dent in certain posters way of thinking.

I mean, you ask, how many have better more well rounded resumes, careers....but how many outside of the top 4 have a peak like Ovechkin? How many dominated a certain part of the game like Ovechkin has goal scoring wise? The list seems to be heavily favored towards playoffs, especially O6 teams, which IMO is skewed but that’s just me.

If he ends up leading the entire NHL in goals overall, that’s a feature that many felt wouldn’t be broken, and would definitely round up his entire career. It would be hard to say he isn’t a top 10 player after that.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Um...he is already top ten.

In no particular order:

Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Howe
Crosby
Richard
Harvey
Ovi
Bobby Hull
Hasek

Just on the outside looking in:

Jagr
Yzerman
Sakic
Messier
Brett Hull

Over Messier?? over Jagr?

come on now. Messier is a multi cup winner.

btw you are missing Lidstrom, Bourque on your list. Two of the greatest Ds to play the game

Also Bossy

Reactions: Pengwins

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ovi is better than Messier and Jagr. Come on now..

Who should be removed to make room for Lidstrom and Bourque? I have Orr and Harvey.

what kind of special are you smokin

last time I checked the playoffs > regular season

all things equal

Mike Bossy also > Ovi

Look this is no knock on Ovi, but he needs to win a few more cups/do better in the playoffs to be regarded as one of the greats of the greats

Reactions: Hank Plank

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

all things equal

Mike Bossy also > Ovi

Look this is no knock on Ovi, but he needs to win a few more cups/do better in the playoffs to be regarded as one of the greats of the greats

Apparently the same "Special" of 95 percent of every hockey outlet, fans, and historians. After all, they would all say Ovi is better than Jagr or Messier.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Apparently the same "Special" of 95 percent of every hockey outlet, fans, and historians. After all, they would all say Ovi is better than Jagr or Messier.

I don't give a rat azz about historians

there is a reason why playoff hockey is on another level vs regular season

but sounds likes you don't appreciate this or is able to differentiate

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
So double down on some % (and there are others besides MJ here) instead of being consistent in extreme positions?

Ovechkin has some holes in his game when being compared to the top 10 players of all time.

Indeed even among the top 4 there isn't a consensus on the order as each of those players have their strengths and weaknesses.

The main strength and meat of Ovechkin is his goal scoring but outside of that he is a bit lacking compared to other top 10 guys in consideration.

He isn't done yet so there is still time and he is a top 20ish guy almost by consensus at this point.

OV has holes ok, but so does everyone else so what's the point? For example Crosby has no all time great seasons, his peak seasons are lacking compared to the others in top 10 contention. Jagr never led a team past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Richard never won a ross. Lafleur had a 6 year career. Etc, etc.

Different topic.

His goal scoring is the best ever. His peak, especially the 3 years, rivals anyone outside the big 4. Post expansion, he has more harts than anyone not named Gretzky and a bunch of other strong finishes too. After awarding retro rockets, he still has more individual hardware than anyone outside the big 4. Despite the myth, he is 1 of the best playoff performers of his era (among 50+ GP he is 2nd in goals, 1st in GPG, 3rd in pts, 3rd in PPG). So yeah, to just brush him off as "he's got his goal scoring but then he's a bit lacking" is just being lazy. His goal scoring obviously overshadows everything else but the rest of his resume stacks up to anyone too. And again, they all have holes so it's basically personal preference.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't give a rat azz about historians

there is a reason why playoff hockey is on another level vs regular season

but sounds likes you don't appreciate this or is able to differentiate

I appreciate Jagr and Messier. Just not over Ovi.

The 80's Oilers would absolutely destroy any of the Caps teams Ovi played for. Cups are a team award.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

all things equal

Mike Bossy also > Ovi

So playoffs > regular season? So why would you put Jagr, a guy who never led his team past the 2nd round, over OV who won a smythe and has the highest playoff goal season of his era?

As for the bolded... Lol please.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
For reference re: Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Kane playoff scoring - Is catching Gretzky in goals enough for Ovechkin to surpass Crosby?

Short summary of that post: When comparing those 4 playoff resumes, their performances in aggregate in the 2nd round and beyond are very similar, with Crosby and Malkin having a larger sample. The gap in PPG is driven entirely by Crosby/Malkin's 1st round performance, which in turn is driven partially by them facing an easier set of goaltending matchups due to seeding randomness. If you look at common goaltending matchups between Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin, again their PPGs are similar (both faced Biron once, Lundqvist twice, Bobrovsky once). The gap gets created when Pittsburgh faces Martin Gerber in Ottawa, or Brian Elliott in Ottawa, or Evgeni Nabokov for the Islanders.

OV has had plenty of chances to feast on "easier" 1st round opponents. Maybe if he did, his team could have gotten past the 2nd round more times.

The gap in their playoff PPGs matches the gap in their regular season PPGs. There is no reason to think there is some statistical anomaly that needs a questionable explanation.

Reactions: tread102

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

all things equal

Mike Bossy also > Ovi

So
Chris Kunitz>Ovechkin
Kris Draper>Ovechkin
Justin Williams>Ovechkin

It’s easy to win multiple cups when your playing behind the greatest player to ever live, Also easy to win when you play on a dynasty, Wouldn’t you say? Bossy and Messier weren’t even the best players on their own team in Edmonton or on the Island.

If you honestly count playoffs>Regular season. Then Maurice Richard is easily better than Mario Lemieux, and Yvan Cournoyer is better than Bobby Orr.

that’s your logic, you decide if you want to stick to it or Jump ship

:popcorn:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I appreciate Jagr and Messier. Just not over Ovi.

The 80's Oilers would absolutely destroy any of the Caps teams Ovi played for. Cups are a team award.

Yes and no

Ovie and his caps have a history of early exits other than his only cup win

can you say the same for Crosby (who I place higher than Ovie also btw)?

He has been through several roster changes but still on average managed to have a healthy playoff career/rings

You can't also say players like Recchi, Justin Williams are just lucky dudes that were able to win multiple cups with different teams

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
So
Chris Kunitz>Ovechkin
Kris Draper>Ovechkin
Justin Williams>Ovechkin

It’s easy to win multiple cups when your playing behind the greatest player to ever live, Also easy to win when you play on a dynasty, Wouldn’t you say? Bossy and Messier weren’t even the best players on their own team in Edmonton or on the Island.

If you honestly count playoffs>Regular season. Then Maurice Richard is easily better than Mario Lemieux, and Yvan Cournoyer is better than Bobby Orr.

that’s your logic, you decide if you want to stick to it or Jump ship

:popcorn:
I guess you don't know how to read and try to overhype your point

I said all things equal. Not just ring wins or just a nice regular season career

compare Messier vs Ovie career both in the regular season and playoffs/rings

Messier has tie breakers left and right on his side

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
OV has holes ok, but so does everyone else so what's the point? For example Crosby has no all time great seasons, his peak seasons are lacking compared to the others in top 10 contention. Jagr never led a team past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Richard never won a ross. Lafleur had a 6 year career. Etc, etc.

Different topic.

His goal scoring is the best ever. His peak, especially the 3 years, rivals anyone outside the big 4. Post expansion, he has more harts than anyone not named Gretzky and a bunch of other strong finishes too. After awarding retro rockets, he still has more individual hardware than anyone outside the big 4. Despite the myth, he is 1 of the best playoff performers of his era (among 50+ GP he is 2nd in goals, 1st in GPG, 3rd in pts, 3rd in PPG). So yeah, to just brush him off as "he's got his goal scoring but then he's a bit lacking" is just being lazy. His goal scoring obviously overshadows everything else but the rest of his resume stacks up to anyone too. And again, they all have holes so it's basically personal preference.
There definitely seems to be a bias for old time players and a selective value with Stanley cups. Even Bobby Hull has only one cup. He has 2 extra scoring titles while Ovechkin has 2 more Harts and lead the league in goals 1 more time. But there can be a debate that Hull wasn’t even the best player on his own team. Mikita has 4 scoring titles, 2 Harts, and was a top two way forward who would have most likely won a few selkes if it was around.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
So playoffs > regular season? So why would you put Jagr, a guy who never led his team past the 2nd round, over OV who won a smythe and has the highest playoff goal season of his era?

As for the bolded... Lol please.

last time I checked Jagr > Ovie in playoff totals

Jagr has more Cup wins

How many years did Ovie and his caps exit in the 1st or 2nd round? especially 1st round

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I guess you don't know how to read and try to overhype your point

I said all things equal. Not just ring wins or just a nice regular season career

compare Messier vs Ovie career both in the regular season and playoffs/rings

Messier has tie breakers left and right on his side
No you only cited playoffs and scoffed at the idea of Ovechkin being better BECAUSE playoffs...

ok, what tie breakers? What does Messier have over Ovechkin besides cups?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Playoff point totals
Rings

Two way player

the award/regular season/point per game/advance stats are approximately the same

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Jagr has more cup wins playing behind Mario Lemieux. Your not to big on the concept of “context” are you...

Even though Mario was the scoring leader for both 91 and 92 cup wins
you know that Jagr potted 24 points for that 92 playoff run

So don't say it was all Mario

nobody knows

I say its close but if the truth is Ovie > Jagr, than I can buy it

I just won't for Ovie > Messier

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Go look at the top 20 players in the top 100 from the history board.

It doesn't matter if you like or agree with the list per se - just look at the top 20. How many of those players have a better overall playoff resume than Ovi? If your answer isnt at least over 15 'you're probably being very biased. It might even be closer to 20 than 15.

2 years ago Ovis playoffs were a weakness. Never past 2nd round was a bad thing. I know - team sport etc. Thats true - but a player of his caliber you also want to see actual results. The cup and smythe were tremendous. His playoffs are no longer a weakness in his resume. However - they still mostly fail to compare to the other candidates for top 10 all time.

He does have a super strong regular season resume. Thats obviously is a plus vs some of those top 20 players.

But to answer your question - thats why he needs a few more good playoff runs (ideally past 2nd round). To help rise his placement all time.

That list was a joke, but let's pick out one name in particular: Bobby Hull. Hull is ranked 5th all time, compare him to OV. Their regular seasons are similar: OV has an extra rocket, Hull has more dominant wins. OV has an extra hart, Hull has more nominations. Hull has 2 extra rosses, OV has an extra PPG win. Hull has 2 extra 1st ASTs. Hull has more high end pt finishes. However, considering OV plays in a league with Europeans and Americans and obviously 31 teams instead of 6, I think that evens it out. I mean OV would have even more awards (09 ross & 10 hart immediately come to mind), more ASTs, better pt/goal finishes and more dominant rocket wins if only facing Canadians. His regular season resume would probably be better than Hull's in that scenario but at the moment they are close enough. So playoffs. Each has 1 cup, obviously in Hull's day you only needed 4 wins to make the SCF so that's not exactly a fair comparison. OV's cup is worth more imo. The smythe wasn't awarded when Hull won his cup and it's arguable if he would have won as Pilote had more pts as a Dman and Mikita had 3 less pts but 2 more goals. So who knows, but let's give him the smythe anyway. In his era for playoffs, after removing Howe and Orr (and some guy who only played 7 games), Hull was 1st in GPG and 3rd in PPG.. Exactly the same as OV. And again, give OV the same competition as Hull and he moves up to 2nd in PPG.

Obviously I'm not singling you out or anything and obviously that's not going into super details. I'm just saying in general, what does Hull have that OV doesn't? Yes there's minor arguments each way, but there's nothing that should make Hull 5th (and a basically consensus top 10) and OV questionable to crack the top 10. Anyone who ranks him below 15th at this point is just delusional (like those at the HoH).

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
last time I checked Jagr > Ovie in playoff totals

Jagr has more Cup wins

How many years did Ovie and his caps exit in the 1st or 2nd round? especially 1st round

Lol it helps when Lemieux is around, not to mention prime HOFers like Coffey, Francis, Recchi, Murphy. Where did Jagr take any team without Lemieux? How many HOFers does OV play with?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Even though Mario was the scoring leader for both 91 and 92 cup wins
you know that Jagr potted 24 points for that 92 playoff run

So don't say it was all Mario

nobody knows

I say its close but if the truth is Ovie > Jagr, than I can buy it

I just won't for Ovie > Messier
Yes, while playing with Francis. I’m not disputing his contribution, im pointing out your flaws cup counting logic. He has two cups playing behind Mario Lemieux while playing on a line with Ron Francis as a young player not even in his prime yet. Again, context.

Ok again, why Messier>Ovechkin? Because cups? What “tie breakers” have Messier coming out ahead?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00