Ovechkin or Giroux???

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Ovechkin in his prime? Sure. Giroux is better as of last year (which is what your argument was).

And no, a stanley cup didn't make him better, otherwise, you would argue that the year before, Tom Kuhnhackl was better than Ovechkin.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
OV is going to go down as an all timer and he may retire as the greatest goal scorer of all time. That being said, he is absolutely pathetic in his own end to the point where it seems like he doesn't even try. If you cheat the game you can always enhance your stats, you can also give up a ton of goals against. I've always had mixed feelings about him simply because I can't get behind a guy who is so inept in his own zone.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
haRBQL7.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Apples and oranges.

Ovechkin is a goal scorer, but he's had a weird career, looked like a surefire HOF player from 22-24, since then has a great goal scorer but not as dominant. Like Giroux, as he ages, he's become more of a PP scorer as his ES scoring has declined a bit. Last year was his best season since 2010-11.

Giroux is a playmaker, the best PP forward in the league and a solid contributor at ES. He doesn't have Ovechkin's body, but he's been more diligent defensively, though as he gets older his lack of size limits him (because he never had top end speed and has lost a stride).

Ovechkin is the better player because he's a physical freak and maybe has the best shot in the NHL over a decade.
Playmaking is nice, but in the end, the point of making plays is to score goals, and nobody does it better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i've honestly seen worst from him.

Yeah I'm pretty sure when you look at that whole play it makes sense.

He's had waaaaayyyy worse defensive gaffes. Still less frustrating than Semin who was a really really good defender but sometimes he'd just not try.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah I'm pretty sure when you look at that whole play it makes sense.

He's had waaaaayyyy worse defensive gaffes. Still less frustrating than Semin who was a really really good defender but sometimes he'd just not try.

Semin and zherdev were 2 of the weirdest players i've ever seen. You never knew what you were going to get from those guys shift to shift. Could be an unbelievable rush where they beat 5 guys or it could be a pass out into your own slot for a goal against.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I had said in an earlier post that G ain't no OV...I believe OV is a more rounded player than Giroux!
Anyone care to chime in?

Super weird post. Ov = truly elite and an all timer at what he does. But more rounded? Huh? That's just........wrong. If you want to say that Ovechkin is a more elite player than Giroux then you would have an argument. To be honest, comparing them is pointless anyway, they are nothing alike. You might as well try to compare G to a goalie at that point.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Apples and oranges.

Ovechkin is a goal scorer, but he's had a weird career, looked like a surefire HOF player from 22-24, since then has a great goal scorer but not as dominant. Like Giroux, as he ages, he's become more of a PP scorer as his ES scoring has declined a bit. Last year was his best season since 2010-11.

Giroux is a playmaker, the best PP forward in the league and a solid contributor at ES. He doesn't have Ovechkin's body, but he's been more diligent defensively, though as he gets older his lack of size limits him (because he never had top end speed and has lost a stride).

Ovechkin is the better player because he's a physical freak and maybe has the best shot in the NHL over a decade.
Playmaking is nice, but in the end, the point of making plays is to score goals, and nobody does it better.

Funnily enough at 5v5 Giroux has 3 of the 4 most productive seasons relative to league scoring of either of the two.

Giroux best 3:
2017-18: 2.73 P/60 (8th in NHL)
2011-12: 2.60 P/60 (11th in NHL)
2010-11: 2.48 P/60 (12th in NHL)

Ovechkin best 3:

2009-10: 3.47 P/60 (3rd in NHL)
2007-08: 2.69 P/60 (14th in NHL)
2008-09: 2.45 P/60 (24th in NHL)

Of course though at peak/prime Ovi was a better, more valuable player. He is arguably the greatest goalscorer in the history of the NHL. Even if Giroux is probably a better player overall right now.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Now - Giroux
Prime - OV

If both were 19 and I was choosing someone to build a franchise around - Giroux.

Yes, OV might be the best goal scorer of all time, but I am of the opinion that you build from the center out. Giroux plays the more valuable position imo.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Now - Giroux
Prime - OV

If both were 19 and I was choosing someone to build a franchise around - Giroux.

Yes, OV might be the best goal scorer of all time, but I am of the opinion that you build from the center out. Giroux plays the more valuable position imo.
you would take Giroux over ovechkin now? Also, giroux does not play center now.. he is good on faceoffs but he does not play center.

Are you saying.. what do you mean Giroux now, ovechkin prime..?

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
you would take group over ovechkin now? Also, giroux does not play center now.. he is good on faceoffs but he does not play center.

Yeah, I would take Giroux over OV now. And I know he doesn't play center now, but the majority of his career he was center. If I had to take either Giroux or OV to start a franchise (and as theoretical - both have their careers ahead of them), I would go Giroux. I don't think you go wrong with picking either, and both have legit factors to be picked ahead of each other. OV turned into maybe the best goalscorer of all time.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Personally, I would take a lot of players over ovechkin because he is simply the worst defensive forward i have ever seen . For years it was a pp when he was on the ice, and then of course he gets a breakaway and scores. But you really can't win that way, and the fact that they won it last year is still a surprise to me. Many things had to go their way to win, and i don't ever see them getting that close again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad