Ovechkin has Finally Won the Cup!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see. I've never particularly cared for the Caps but I'm so happy for Ovie that he finally has his Cup. If any team and any fanbase deserved the Cup win it would have to be the Caps.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Well this is asinine. Same as Penguin fans who are already trying to minimize Ovechkin's accomplishment here.
I think he's referring to the actual difference in how the players handled it emotionally. Bourque was crying silently while having the biggest smile ever. It was almost like he still didnt think it was real.

Ovi's was just raw emotion. That lion roar while first lifting it over his head was just iconic.

Bourque having to wait almost a decade longer than OV had to might have had something to do with it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I've never seen a player's stock be so impacted as Ovi's in winning this cup. Factored in, or with an exclamation, was him winning the Conn Smythe.

It very literally is akin to Stevie Yzerman winning finally but probably moreso.

To me, it's now a lot easier saying he might be the greatest goal-scorer of all time even if his totals don't come close to Gretzky's. Now all of a sudden he's one of the greatest players of all time too. I mean I still want to see where he ends up with goal totals, but if everything remains more or less on course with small incremental declines for the remainder of his career his overall place as the greatest goal-scorer is pretty much a lock.

Anyway, huge, huge necessary milestone for Ovi and the Caps generally. This team went from perennial underachievers to one of the best teams based on this playoffs IMO. Not a dynasty obviously, but a great team nonetheless.

Reactions: Hippasus

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006

Typical clickbait journalism. I believe that was the season Oates switched Ovie to the right side. No context was given for this experiment, Proteau was just being controversial for the sake of hits. Imagine knowing nothing about hockey. You come across these articles to brush up on the sport and you read stuff like that. You’d have to wonder why every team doesn’t just trade away it’s star player like Columbus did with Rick Nash. (Terrible comparison btw)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad