Ovechkin guarantees game 7 win vs NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Ovechkin is developing the reputation as a regular season superstar, playoff dud. Which is stunning, given his rugged physique and fearless attitude -- he seems like he was designed for the playoffs. But his track record in the playoffs so far has been brutal.

I don't necessarily think that's a fair assessment. He still looks dangerous whenever he gets the puck. Luckily for the Rangers, they have lots of experience shutting him down in years past so they know what they need to do.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good for Ovi. He's firing up his team and himself, which is what leaders do. And more than anyone else out there, he's capable of backing up the talk.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
That wasn't much? Like what is he supposed to say? Maybe pointing out that he "knows" what to do to win is kinda weird since he just lost two straight games and obviously doesn't know. But big fuzz over nothing really.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I think he should have said "We might win, but maybe not. Hopefully."

Lol..what's he supposed to do.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I don't necessarily think that's a fair assessment. He still looks dangerous whenever he gets the puck. Luckily for the Rangers, they have lots of experience shutting him down in years past so they know what they need to do.

Wanted to say something similar. Ovi has played the best goalie in the world with at minimum a top 5 def in 32 of his 71 playoff games. Another 7 of those were against the at the moment best goalie in the world (Thomas) with a coach (Hunter) that doesn't believe in scoring. Another 4 were against Allstar god mode in the playoffs Roloson. I wont count Halak because I believe that was more of a 6 goalie system that Montreal used. Thats 43 of his 71 against some outstanding goaltending. Other then that he shredded the rest of the goalies he came up against. Now you can say he cant score a lot against great goaltending. That would be fair but neither can anyone else. This is not a knock on crosby or malkin but go back and look at the joke goalies they shredded in their first 5 years of playoffs. Only now when the pens have run into some of the teams with excellent goaltending have the those two been held in check.

Bad luck on Ovis part. He doesnt get to choose the matchups. Nothing more.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Ovechkin hype has clearly calmed down after the crazy goal.. 0 points in the last 4 games.

So in that sense he's awfully confident they win 100% if your best player is in a bit of a slump :laugh:

But yeah i know what he's trying to do. Backlund guaranteeing a win in Calgary is one thing, and doesn't matter, but when Ovechkin says something like this it does have an affect. Most likely just adds some unnecessary pressure.

Then again it's not like the Caps lose because of what Ovechkin says to the media.

It takes pressure off, if your best player guarantees a win other players feed off that confidence.

You want your best players to be that confident

dutch00

Jan 25, 2012
What does he mean? The series is over.. capitals won game 5 right? Oh wait...

If karma is real than the caps had better win this next game. They have been getting screwed these last few games.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
You can instill confidence in your team other ways instead of guaranteeing a victory. Either way, I expect him to come out on fire in Wednesday's game.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Guys, the correct answer is something like "We need to play our best game. It starts with me, I need to produce. If we play our game, I believe we will win."

There ways to articulate confidence rather than what he did (English being his second language notwithstanding).

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Guys, the correct answer is something like "We need to play our best game. It starts with me, I need to produce. If we play our game, I believe we will win."

There ways to articulate confidence rather than what he did (English being his second language notwithstanding).

Nah, it's about personality. Ovechkin saying that they will play their game and win the game sounds more natural than him saying what you wrote. I could see Jonathan Toews or someone like him saying the line you wrote.

It doesn't mean one is better than the other. It just means that we are all different kind of people and we have different kind of personalities. Ovechkin is "balls to the walls" confident, maybe even bit arrogant, likes to show off and doesn't hide his emotions.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

I believe that's what Yzerman went with.

Remember everyone called him a losing choker until age 32.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What does he mean? The series is over.. capitals won game 5 right? Oh wait...

If karma is real than the caps had better win this next game. They have been getting screwed these last few games.

How did they get screwed last night

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
I like how the media and fans twist a players words around and then substitute the word "Guarantee" in there. His quote is saying they will win, as every team captain and player for that matter "expects" to win and has confidence in their team. But never does he use the word "Guaranteed" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad