Value of: Ovechkin Buyout (hear me out)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There is not a single party which goes along with your idea.

Caps - no way on Earth do they risk a team keeping Ovechkin if they tried pulling some idiotic nonsense like this... or if they got a pre-trade guarantee that this nonsense would fly with that other team, the league would shut it down as cap circumvention.
Arizona/Philly - If they sign Alexander Ovechkin for 6/18... they're not trading him to anyone for anything short of McDavid+. And CERTAINLY not for *Braden* Holtby or a late 1st plus Brooks Orpik.
Ovechkin - He can do nothing but play for Washington for 3 years get 30 million and then conservative guess, he could get 8Mx5 when that contract runs out.

So, 30+24 = 54 or 20 + 18 = 38. I'm sure Ovi is just dying to leave an easy $16M on the table so the Capitals can sign Ian Cole.

And lastly, the NHL players union wouldn't let this fly. No way they allow Ovechkin to sign a 6/18M contract as a result of GM machinations.

I have said this multiple times and meant it... but this is the stupidest proposal I've ever read. I do not think this one can be topped.

It is against the spirit of the rules, likely the letter of the rules, and relies on another franchise giving up one of the most prolific goal scorers of all time who's still a PPG+ player that they have free and clear signed to a $3M AAV contract for 6 years for the 32OA and a 5.5M contract attached to Brooks Orpik's corpse. Why in the *** would they take back Orpik WHO IN THIS SCENARIO WOULD HAVE A 2.5M GREATER CAP HIT THAN ALEXANDER ****ING OVECHKIN.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
6 million per is market value for a 49 goal scorer??? Astonishing!!! Alex Ovechkin would have undying DC love after they buy him out? Ovechkin would agree to buyout to help out WSH financially why? Why would new team trade him away if he is only making 3, 4,5, 6 heck 7 mill per?

This has been a doozy of a Whopper Classic Thread!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad