Value of: Ovechkin Buyout (hear me out)

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
Ovie isn't going anywhere. If the Caps get ousted early in the playoffs this season, I could see the Caps entertaining the idea of trading Holtbeast. As good as he is, Grubauer had a very good season, is a few years younger and won't cost as much.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
When you have to put "hear me out" in the thread title, you should probably reconsider making that thread.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
26.3 Circumventions. (a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

Reactions: rt

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
OP is the same guy who tries to trade Tom Brady and Antonio Brown to his friend for Jay Cutler and Cole Beasley the day after his team gets eliminated from fantasy football.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not gonna happen. But it brings to mind OVs deal. He signed a 13 year $124 million deal which began in the 08-09 season. He's just completed year 10 of the deal.

Alex Ovechkin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

How often does at 13 year deal end up being a bargain for a team? Not only has it been a great deal, but it wasn't a cheater's deal. His salary was $9 million for the first 6 years and $10 million for the remaining 7 years. It wasn't one of those Shea Weber-type deals. Weber made $14 million for the first 4 years of the deal and will make $1 million in each of the last 3 years. Weber's AAV cap hit is $7.86 million compared to OVs 9.54 AAV.

Nothing against Shea Weber or Nashville-they took advantage of the rules. It's just an interesting comparison when one looks at OVs deal.

Reactions: Telos

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
Wow...

So basically you forgot the following

-he needs to clear waivers
-he can't be on your team for a whole year
-blatant cap circumvention

I guess it works if we just ignore all the rules that would prevent this from working:help:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Then he Kovalchuk's you and you now have the fate of the 2013 Devils. Good luck resigning Ghost, Prov, TS.

Your team once these guys are getting bridge deals/longterm contracts will be putting the Flyers up against the cap. You're not going to be able to get under the cap to start the season.

How do you so clearly lack understanding of a post that you wrote?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
what-youve-just-said-is-one-of-the-most-insanely-19798259.png

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
The rule book says you can't sign a player. But I don't see where it says you can't trade for... please direct me.

@ChaoticOrange Ovie only want's to play in DC. If it's not DC he is going back to Russia (and let me reiterate he want's to stay in the NHL - IN DC). Arizona and Philly aren't going to keep him because Ovie doesn't want to be there and would have no shot at resigning without the trade and they both benefit greatly for being the middleman.
Could be wrong but Im pretty sure Ovechkin cant play for Washington for a year if they buy him out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad