May 27, 2002
Visit site
Methot + Karlsson
??? + Ceci
??? + ???

We have two problems:
1) no one good enough to play with Ceci as part of a 3/4 pairing
2) no mobility in the 5/6 pairing from the leftovers

- Cowen has been a bit better this year but he's not a 3/4 (and may never be)
- love Boro but he's probably better suited for the 5/6 pairing
- can't succeed with our 5/6 coming from Phillips, Cowen, Boro, Wiercioch & Gryba
- no one in minors who can help here (Claessen is a 5/6, Wideman probably a career AHLer)

my recommendation:
- trade for a decent mobile RH defence to play on the 5/6 pairing
- trade Phillips now (he's done) & Gryba (doesn't fit)
- Cowen should be traded if he and Boro both top out as 5/6 defenders (Boro is better, more physical/competitive, great contract)
- keep wiercioch (low trade value, plays well with Ceci, at worst a #7)

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Honestly, you could take any of the bigger UFA out there and make this team better:

Methot - Karlsson
Sekera - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Michalek
Boro - Ceci

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Green
Boro - Ceci

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro - Franson

Methot - Karlsson
Boychuk - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba

Any of those look a fair bit better than what we have now.

Bold parts are actually realistic. I think Franson can help this team a ton and Z.Michalek could be inclined to play with his brother, who recently showed he still has some game left.

I think Cowen/Boro-Franson or Cowen/Boro-Michalek could work well, depending on Cowen's progression, he may never become top 4.

Also, Boychuck is right D, is he not? Again, help to push Ceci back a pot, and helps with the depth.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I extremely doubt we will be able to outbid the teams that are going after Sekara and Boychuk. I als think Boychuk made a comment this year that had something to do with wanting to win now, so that right there means the Sens won't be able to sign him.

Might have a chance with Franson, but he will also most likely go to the team who is the highest bidder.

I say the Sens will most likely have a higher chance of signing Michalek out of all the dman available depending on if Michalek wants to play with his brother or not.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If we're ambitious, this is how we should look at our depth IMO:

Methot - Karlsson
??? - ???
Cowen - Ceci
Boro (and maaaaybe Gryba)

I basically want Ceci and Cowen to have to earn their top 4 status, and I don't think they have yet. They work well enough together to be a staple of our defense for a long time though!

Boro is perfect as a #7 D IMO. Put him in when you need some jam against a stupid bully team like the Leafs. Gryba is more expendable but he'd be fine as a #7 as well.

If we could fill up our top 4 with two more FAs it would keep our prospects down at least one more year for development purposes. Let's take our time with them if possible.

as for the FAs, any combo of Sekera or Martin on the left side and Michalek or Petry on the right would work for me:

Methot - Karlsson
Sekera/Martin - Michalek/Petry
Cowen - Ceci
Boro

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think fixing the Defence will be Murray's legacy deal.

He may stay and deal with the draft and then hire his replacement (who will then decide on a coach and assistants) before stepping away. But the D is closer now than its been in a few years to some stability. I UFA would swing that, with all of the prospects we have in the system, into a more stable entity verry quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad