GDT: Outdoors at Lake Tahoe | Avs vs Golden Knights | Outdoor Autoloss

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
It should be a game suspension.

The turn and elbow /forearm up look very suspiciously like he wasn't intending to play the body. There's zero reason for your elbow to be that far up when you're throwing a hit.

If a Vegas player leaves the ice on a stretcher after a cheap shot when they play the Bloos or Mild that's karma.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You talking about Carrier’s hit? Even the NBC crew called that elbow to the head out.
Yeah they called that an elbow, but then they went on to praise the dirty hit as some sort of momentous turning point for the next 10 minutes.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well then. That was interesting

1. Nathan Mackinnon is a big game player. The bigger the stage the better he performs. I dont know his stat line in these outdoor games but he seems to always put on a show. He was fantastic last night and that goal he scored is classic Nate doing Nate things. Power, speed, skill all in one sequence.

2. Ryan Graves had a tremendous game. His work on that 5 on 3 was the turning point of the game. He seems to be getting better/more confident with every game. If he can just clear the puck he would be so much better. Its such an underrated skill to be able to get the puck out on the PK.

3. Those jerseys are gorgeous. Something about it under those lights last night really made it pop. In fact all of the Avs gear last night was nice. From hoodies to toques to Jareds jacket. Great stuff.

4. Power vs Power the Avs are better. I dont want to get ahead of myself or get cocky but the Avs are a different team when they are fully healthy especially on the back end. Granted I thought a few guys had a rough game but there were other factors that might have contributed to that... one being Jared Bednars super timeout.

5. Thought Grubauer looked good in the first and had some shakey moments when play resumed. You dont often see him checking behind him on unscreened shots from the top of the circle. I really like his calmness in net this year. He seems to have found this zen in net.

6. Didnt like Andre Burakovsky game last night or his last 5 games for that matter. I dont know why a guy with the second best release on this team refuses to use it at every chance? To start the year he was looking shot first and now he looks confused and unsure of himself. Its not his linemates as he played alot with Nate last night. I really thought he was set to bust out this year but im not sure anymore. Hes vital to this teams success so I hope he figures it out soon.

7. Devon Toews had one of his worst games as an Av the game before this and it really wasnt THAT bad just not good ... and he had his best game as an Av last night. Toews came as advertised and then some. This is like ordering a Big Mac meal and you get two orders of fries. I love that he thinks shot first. Great showing from him.

8. Petros "Oh Boy" was priceless. It has to be scary seeing a raging bull come down the wing like that. I actually didnt think he played that bad but you cant give Nathan that much open ice.

9. The reffing. Again, I often defend the refs and hardly ever blame the refs on the outcome of a game but what are we doing here? How does Bura get a penalty for high stick and Martinez not get one 3 seconds before? Because Saad didnt go down? Is that what these players need to resort to? Im not even saying it was bad for the Avs it was also bad for the Knights. Graves clearly shoots the puck out but none of the 4 saw that? The reffing has been noticeably bad this season and it needs to improve. The last thing I want is for Radulov to intimidate another ref into calling a non penalty in a crucial game...

10. Bowen looked like a rookie last night but only a few times not all night. He needs to be better and I suspect he will be fine next game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Graves clearly shoots the puck out but none of the 4 saw that?
To be fair because of the lighting the "outside" of the rink was probably pitch black for them and I bet it was really hard to see the puck when it was leaving the surface. They lost it more than once.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

1. Nathan Mackinnon is a big game player. The bigger the stage the better he performs. I dont know his stat line in these outdoor games but he seems to always put on a show. He was fantastic last night and that goal he scored is classic Nate doing Nate things. Power, speed, skill all in one sequence.

2. Ryan Graves had a tremendous game. His work on that 5 on 3 was the turning point of the game. He seems to be getting better/more confident with every game. If he can just clear the puck he would be so much better. Its such an underrated skill to be able to get the puck out on the PK.

3. Those jerseys are gorgeous. Something about it under those lights last night really made it pop. In fact all of the Avs gear last night was nice. From hoodies to toques to Jareds jacket. Great stuff.

4. Power vs Power the Avs are better. I dont want to get ahead of myself or get cocky but the Avs are a different team when they are fully healthy especially on the back end. Granted I thought a few guys had a rough game but there were other factors that might have contributed to that... one being Jared Bednars super timeout.

5. Thought Grubauer looked good in the first and had some shakey moments when play resumed. You dont often see him checking behind him on unscreened shots from the top of the circle. I really like his calmness in net this year. He seems to have found this zen in net.

6. Didnt like Andre Burakovsky game last night or his last 5 games for that matter. I dont know why a guy with the second best release on this team refuses to use it at every chance? To start the year he was looking shot first and now he looks confused and unsure of himself. Its not his linemates as he played alot with Nate last night. I really thought he was set to bust out this year but im not sure anymore. Hes vital to this teams success so I hope he figures it out soon.

7. Devon Toews had one of his worst games as an Av the game before this and it really wasnt THAT bad just not good ... and he had his best game as an Av last night. Toews came as advertised and then some. This is like ordering a Big Mac meal and you get two orders of fries. I love that he thinks shot first. Great showing from him.

8. Petros "Oh Boy" was priceless. It has to be scary seeing a raging bull come down the wing like that. I actually didnt think he played that bad but you cant give Nathan that much open ice.

9. The reffing. Again, I often defend the refs and hardly ever blame the refs on the outcome of a game but what are we doing here? How does Bura get a penalty for high stick and Martinez not get one 3 seconds before? Because Saad didnt go down? Is that what these players need to resort to? Im not even saying it was bad for the Avs it was also bad for the Knights. Graves clearly shoots the puck out but none of the 4 saw that? The reffing has been noticeably bad this season and it needs to improve. The last thing I want is for Radulov to intimidate another ref into calling a non penalty in a crucial game...

10. Bowen looked like a rookie last night but only a few times not all night. He needs to be better and I suspect he will be fine next game.
Perhaps the most impressive thing about Mackinnon's goal is that he had both Stone and Pietrangelo to beat in front of him, which is possibly the hardest 1-2 combo to get past in the league, and yet he made it look easy.

Donskoi's saucer to Saad in the last game was also through both Stone and Pietrangelo. Nice to see our forwards finding success offensively even with those two on the ice together.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Perhaps the most impressive thing about Mackinnon's goal is that he had both Stone and Pietrangelo to beat in front of him, which is possibly the hardest 1-2 combo to get past in the league, and yet he made it look easy.

Donskoi's saucer to Saad in the last game was also through both Stone and Pietrangelo. Nice to see our forwards finding success offensively even with those two on the ice together.

Wasn’t that Stone he knocked the puck away from to start the whole play too?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Kadri didn’t play well either. He got too cute a couple of times to ruin goal scoring chances. On Tuchs goal, he was lazy. Bowen wins a battle in the corner but he’s out of energy after a long shift. All Kadri has to do is skate himself open with a single hard stride to get himself into an easy passing lane, receivie and easily chip it out. Bo makes a pass and Kadri is too lazy to skate to it. It bounces off Kadri’s stick and to the point. Tuch then gets the puck and scores on Kadri with a slick move.

but Kadri is 30. He understands complementary hockey but he didn’t play much of that last night. He played a lazy and dumb game too often. He’s been disappointing to me this season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
At the very least the Avs should notify the league. Get Carrier on the NHL’s radar and maybe throw him off a bit for next game.
Him and Reeves are just goons. They did nothing of note other than making several dirty hits that should have drawn calls.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
That was a slick goal. It was Kadri’s turnover that lead to it. He didn’t have a good game. He’s been underwhelming this year.

No. It was Byram's turnover. He had a bad outlet pass. Missed the winger and it went right to the Vegas player. We scrambled after that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No. It was Byram's turnover. He had a bad outlet pass. Missed the winger and it went right to the Vegas player. We scrambled after that.
No. He hit Kadri’s lazy stick. Kadri did nothing to get himself into a passing lane or make an effort on a pass that still hit his stick. That’s lazy bad hockey by Kadri. That goal is his fault and I can guarantee you his coaching staff showed him that film and pointed this out to him. That was his play to make.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If Compher is going to remain in the line-up over O'Connor - which is a crime - I want to see these lines next game. The third line below was the Avs second line for a stretch last year (due to injuries to Kadri) and had success:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - Kadri - Donskoi
Nichushkin - Compher - Burakovsky
Jost - Bellemare - Calvert

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If Compher is going to remain in the line-up over O'Connor - which is a crime - I want to see these lines next game. The third line below was the Avs second line for a stretch last year (due to injuries to Kadri) and had success:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Saad - Kadri - Donskoi
Nichushkin - Compher - Burakovsky
Jost - Bellemare - Calvert
Burakovsky doesn't deserve that demotion.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------- Kadri ------- Donskoi
Saad ---------------- Jost -------- Calvert
Nichuskin ------ Bellemare ----- Compher

It's not perfect but at least it gets Compher away from C and puts a play driver (Saad) on the 3rd line.

The lack of offense from the bottom 6 and especially from the (non-existent) 3rd line is a significant problem for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad