GDT: Outdoors at Lake Tahoe | Avs vs Golden Knights | Outdoor Autoloss

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Looking at the replay, Byram didn’t play it as bad as I initially thought. He was clearly trying to take away the passing lane to the guy that was wide open behind him.

Byram did miss the outlet pass that led to the goal though.
Aside from the outlet pass, that play it's self can't be blamed on Byram. Like you said, he played the passing lane, Kadri was covering Tuch, he just surprised everyone by the spin move. Can't even blame Kadri, you can see he totally wasn't expecting a spin move there, he thought Tuch was gonna go behind the net

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I really don’t know how you sit LOC after how well he has played, while you trot out Compher over and over again despite the fact that he fails both the eye test and the analytics
hes a big part of the PKs success this year and now doesnt have to play a lot of ES with everyone coming back.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs played really well and probably deserved to win by more than just one. MacKinnon, Makar, Toews, Girard, Grubauer, etc were all great as usual but some of the others really stepped up. Graves and the entire 4th line were good throughout and had some strong shifts in the 3rd period in particular.

It was just great to see Calvert back out there creating havoc and playing keep away in the offensive zone. Nichushkin was good on that line but I’d still like to see what Calvert and LOC could do together.

As others have mentioned, that was a rough one for Byram. Possibly his worst game in terms of misplays. Playing next to Timmins probably doesn’t help in general but Byram’s errors had little to do with Timmins. He’ll learn and get better.

Compher and Jost even managed to drag Landeskog down. There’s no solution on the current roster but I don’t know how long you can just keep sending Compher out there as the 3C with how unproductive and ineffective he has been.

Reactions: shadow1

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I’m sure this has been said before, but I can’t help but be extremely impressed with our defense the last 3 games. They’re the reason we’ve taken 2 of 3, and they’ll be the reason we push past them in round 2 of the playoffs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
hes a big part of the PKs success this year and now doesnt have to play a lot of ES with everyone coming back.

He isn’t really—you could plug any other forward in there and they’d do just as well. It’s not like he’s doing anything impactful like winning defensive zone draws or creating shorthanded breakaways. The biggest reasons IMO the PK is a ton better to start the season is Grubauer and the fact that Bednar is rotating in Toews, Girard, and Makar. That’s a ton more skill than Graves, EJ, Zadorov, and Cole.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I’m sure this has been said before, but I can’t help but be extremely impressed with our defense the last 3 games. They’re the reason we’ve taken 2 of 3, and they’ll be the reason we push past them in round 2 of the playoffs.
Contrary to what most people would think with the "high octane offense" the Avs have, their bread-and-butter is actually their commitment to team defense, and they're at or near the top of the league in pretty much every significant defensive metric:
  • 1st in Corsi
  • 3rd in Fenwick
  • 3rd in SF%
  • 3rd in xGA (surprisingly the Avs are 25th at xGF)
  • 4th in xGF%
  • 2nd in PK%
  • 3rd in shots against per game (and 5th in shots for per game)
The fact that they've been able to be so consistent with their defensive effort despite missing a third of their lineup including half their D group for a chunk of the season is impressive. Bednar deserves a lot of credit for how he has this team playing, and they're going to be a very tough out for any opponent in a 7 game series because they're very difficult to score on.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tuch's goal wasn't Byram's fault or anyone's for that matter. Kadri was on Tuch and he wasn't expecting Tuch to make that spin move. It was just a nice play by him. Byram almost got a stick on it though
It was Kadris fault. He couldn’t handle a byram pass and turned it over. Wasn’t a good game for Kadri.

Reactions: tbassler

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He isn’t really—you could plug any other forward in there and they’d do just as well. It’s not like he’s doing anything impactful like winning defensive zone draws or creating shorthanded breakaways. The biggest reasons IMO the PK is a ton better to start the season is Grubauer and the fact that Bednar is rotating in Toews, Girard, and Makar. That’s a ton more skill than Graves, EJ, Zadorov, and Cole.

Bednar’s switched to a more aggressive PK system this year and it’s paying dividends. The forwards aggressively move from the point to the wall while the other forward covers in place.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I agree. He's been solid this season but isn't doing anything special that O'Connor couldn't do.

For reference below are Compher's on-ice metrics on the PK from last season, showing that Compher was 26% worse than league average, and 35% worse than the Avs without him on the PK.

upload_2021-2-21_17-59-57.png

By contrast Jost and Nichuskin were both phenomenal on the PK last season and it's continuing this season.

upload_2021-2-21_18-3-37.png

upload_2021-2-21_18-3-50.png

The Avs PK was generally better with Calvert and Bellemare on it than without them too, though their metrics aren't nearly as impressive as Jost and Nichuskin.

upload_2021-2-21_18-4-7.png

upload_2021-2-21_18-4-44.png

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah but talking about just the spin move by Tuch, it caught Kadri by surprise
Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and give credit to the opposition for a great play. They are good at this hockey thing too after all, and that was a great play by Tuch to read the fact that Grubauer didn't have his stick. Under normal circumstances 99% of the time Grubauer would be able to poke check that away so Tuch likely doesn't even try that move, so it's a bit harsh to be too critical of Kadri. Part of me wishes he had just hit Tuch off his skates but that might have been considered charging given how far he skated to get back in position.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and give credit to the opposition for a great play. They are good at this hockey thing too after all, and that was a great play by Tuch to read the fact that Grubauer didn't have his stick. Under normal circumstances 99% of the time Grubauer would be able to poke check that away so Tuch likely doesn't even try that move, so it's a bit harsh to be too critical of Kadri. Part of me wishes he had just hit Tuch off his skates but that might have been considered charging given how far he skated to get back in position.

Yeah, my first thought wasn’t that someone f***ed up. It was great play by Vegas, I wasn’t even remotely mad about that goal whatsoever.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone have a clip of a blatant forearm to Landeskogs head? No attempt to play the puck or the body. Just led with hands high.

That's the type of hit that needs to be a penalty. And yes the Avs got away with stuff too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Does anyone have a clip of a blatant forearm to Landeskogs head? No attempt to play the puck or the body. Just led with hands high.

That's the type of hit that needs to be a penalty. And yes the Avs got away with stuff too.

You talking about Carrier’s hit? Even the NBC crew called that elbow to the head out.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Avs aren't keeping shots against down due to blocking or hitting, but because we have a defense that can skate and pass. Toews doesn't look all that flashy but he's mobile and skilled enough and reads the play very well. He has been a very good addition. He fits in better than expected.

If this works and the Avs have a special season, it could change the game and how teams prioritize what they need in defenseman.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad