Out of Town Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why are people mentioning Caufield when talking about Hall? There was a not a single prospect in that deal close to Caufields talent level.

Every year I see people make these outlandish comparisons to justify inaction. The devils didn’t receive any prospect close to Caufield’s talent and ceiling so I’m really not sure why it means that habs would have had to include him in a package.
For a re-signed Hall I think. In this trade Hall became a rental and so the package suffered set backs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
IMO, only scenario I see Hall remaining a Coyote is if he goes back to scoring at a nice pace and the team has some seasonal and playoff success. Add to the fact the weather is nice there and if he’s a private person, he’ll likely be pretty anonymous and can walk around in peace.

This is all of course assuming he’s paid what he wants.

However, unless he goes PPG+ and is directly responsible for a deep playoff run, I’m not sure I offer a near 30 year old with an injury history and only one Hart season $10m+ For 8 years. That sort of thing should never happen.

:sarcasm:
Unless he is a goalie and you are Marc Bergevin.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Didn't see the play? You think the NHL will look at the play for possible suspension? You'd think he'd eventually learn but I guess you really can't fix stupid.
So true.

Yes, I think the NHL will take a look at it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is pretty easy to explain... nobody knew the exact asking price from NJ. It’s not like we offered Caufield and got shot down. It was assumed it would cost a Caufield, though I think if we gave him up, or Avs gave up Byram or Arizona gave up Soderstrom, it would had been a sign and trade.

Obviously, now that it’s over and we see the deal itself, it was clearly smart not to do something stupid and give Caufield up, especially as this is a rental. That said, if we did really offer Caufield (which we I am 99.9999% sure we didn’t) and a first for a rental and not a sign and trade, Hall would be wearing a Habs jersey.

The problem is every year, every rumored player to be on the move it's always the same. It's always we would need to give up all our best prospects/players to make the trade, and it's never cost anywhere close to that when the player is dealt.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I’m not sure I offer a near 30 year old with an injury history and only one Hart season $10m+ For 8 years. That sort of thing should never happen.

I see this sentiment a lot for all sorts of players, where people are willing to pay a high price for 5-6 years but 8 years is a deal breaker and it makes no sense. What happens in years 5+ of the contract basically don't matter, by that time the team will have lost so many core players to the age that we would need a rebuild anyways so it would be irrelevant if the player is an overpaid bum at that point.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like watching around the league how teams stick up for each other after questionable hits. I mean it doesn't happen here, so I have to watch for it on other teams.
It's true, seeing Kotkaniemi getting rag-dolled by Zadorov and no one doing anything still bothers me, I don't know how old you are but this is not the way that the Montreal Canadiens used to be, we stood up for each other with pride and I don't see much of that from this group. I don't know if it is entirely their fault though, seeing the gutless effort from their GM on a daily basis has a way of trickling down, the entire org is infected with Bergevinitis.

Jul 6, 2016
Yikes, who wants a floater like that on a contender? That would be a mistake.

Possibly. But the Bruins - outside their first big line - are a bunch of hard working blue collar players. They might need some raw talent like Kovy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's true, seeing Kotkaniemi getting rag-dolled by Zadorov and no one doing anything still bothers me, I don't know how old you are but this is not the way that the Montreal Canadiens used to be, we stood up for each other with pride and I don't see much of that from this group. I don't know if it is entirely their fault though, seeing the gutless effort from their GM on a daily basis has a way of trickling down, the entire org is infected with Bergevinitis.

I'm old enough to appreciate how well built the 83-93 teams were or not, they could play any way you wanted to. Want to skate? Great. We had speed to play that game. Want to rough it up? Hey terrific, meet some of the toughest SOB's to play in that generation. That mix of size, toughness and speed was a treat to watch, then the mid 90's happened and this awful new direction took over and they have never recovered. Small teams, especially down the middle, soft players, overpaid vets... just disgusting. Not a single person stepped in after the kid was lying on the ice, not one. I haven't seen such a pathetic group of 'teammates' since Zednik went down from McLaren's elbow. The fact it wasn't even addressed in the media is disgusting.

This franchise is a total joke, I keep holding out hope Bergy and the entire crew will be fired and a new vision will take over. But then I remember its Molson running things, and he's totally happy with a joke of a team, cap space and a full arena.. so it probably won't.

The fans could just stop going to 4 home games, and this would all be over. But nope, they keep drinking the Koolaid.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Possibly. But the Bruins - outside their first big line - are a bunch of hard working blue collar players. They might need some raw talent like Kovy.

That raw talent disappeared years ago, the game has passed him by. I believe its a myth that you can just suddenly 'turn it on' and go back to being the player you used to be.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Totally predictable that he'd clear. Some sucker is going to sign this guy cause players like him always get multiple chances.

Sounds like a Bergevin move. Cheap, low risk, reclamation project, great if he pans out, can say he tried if he doesn't. Thankfully, Kovalchuk will be the one to decline.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm old enough to appreciate how well built the 83-93 teams were or not, they could play any way you wanted to. Want to skate? Great. We had speed to play that game. Want to rough it up? Hey terrific, meet some of the toughest SOB's to play in that generation. That mix of size, toughness and speed was a treat to watch, then the mid 90's happened and this awful new direction took over and they have never recovered. Small teams, especially down the middle, soft players, overpaid vets... just disgusting. Not a single person stepped in after the kid was lying on the ice, not one. I haven't seen such a pathetic group of 'teammates' since Zednik went down from McLaren's elbow. The fact it wasn't even addressed in the media is disgusting.

This franchise is a total joke, I keep holding out hope Bergy and the entire crew will be fired and a new vision will take over. But then I remember its Molson running things, and he's totally happy with a joke of a team, cap space and a full arena.. so it probably won't.

The fans could just stop going to 4 home games, and this would all be over. But nope, they keep drinking the Koolaid.

Also look to Gryba assassinating Eller on-ice for a more recent shameful scenario. Eller was so good in that series. Zadorov and Kotka this year. I think less and less fans are buying tickets, it's companies sustaining the season ticket business for Molson.

Reactions: Habs and habsfan891

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The cost wasn't very high but it was a lot of pieces for a rental. Also keep in mind 28 other teams didn't get Hall as well and I am sure Bruins/AVS/Nash also could of beat those deals.

For a sign and trade I would of entertained even KK, but without a contract Hall is not going to play here. I bet he doesn't want to play in Canada ever again. He seems like the type of guy that would love ARZ or DAL or any of those teams where he can be kind anonymous.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's played 592 of 736 games to date. Thats about 66 games per season averaged since he joined the league.

Gallagher is 521/573 or 75 games per year.

Hes missed like 50 games to freak accidents, calling him injury prone is like calling Markov injury prone for the skate cut or calling Crosby injury prone for the puck to the face or the mumps. Its kinda ridiculous, to be injury prone one has to have an history of recurring injuries (Gallagher, Juulsen concussions., Crosby concussions...) he's had two actual injuries, his ankle and his shoulder one, where he missed seven games. He missed game to a skate in the face and dumb things like a shot on his already half-healed ankle which resulted in him missing games over two seasons.

The equivalent to that would have been 1st+brook+. No ****ing way am I giving that up for a few months of Hall. That's a pretty huge loss, Hall doesnt make us a contender and that 1st could be another Caufield..

Wheres Brook in that deal ? Actual lol @ Bahl and Brook being in the same conversation. Everybody knows that makes no f***ing sense.

Also, no, Caufields don't usually go in the fifteens. Youre much more likely to end up with a Beaulieu or a Leblanc than a Caufield. Especially if you believe that the scouting team is at fault, which you have demonstrated that you do before. All over the place.

We need to find a franchise player somehow. You're more likely to find one drafting top 2 but they are occasionally found mid first or later (Karlsson, Aho, Kuch, Point, Bergeron, Gaudreau, etc)

We need to find a franchise player
Doesnt want to give scraps to acquire one

Oh ok...

Lame ass team from top to bottom.

That raw talent disappeared years ago, the game has passed him by. I believe its a myth that you can just suddenly 'turn it on' and go back to being the player you used to be.

He can still be an asset because his shot never went away. He's still one of the best goalscorer in the league history and he still has that deadly shot.

This will never go away.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The cost wasn't very high but it was a lot of pieces for a rental. Also keep in mind 28 other teams didn't get Hall as well and I am sure Bruins/AVS/Nash also could of beat those deals.

For a sign and trade I would of entertained even KK, but without a contract Hall is not going to play here. I bet he doesn't want to play in Canada ever again. He seems like the type of guy that would love ARZ or DAL or any of those teams where he can be kind anonymous.

28 other teams didn't get him but they got ROR, Pacioretty, Stone, Karlsson, Kessel 2x, Trouba, Duchene2x, McDonagh while Biceps is just sitting on his sausage roll fingers calling it too hard to make a trade.

How many freaking times is the team going to miss the bus to get better ? How long will the stock pile be filled with mediocre prospects and players? How long will they sit on that 10 millions in cap space ?

Stop enabling mediocrity

Reactions: habsfan891

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
He can still be an asset because his shot never went away. He's still one of the best goalscorer in the league history and he still has that deadly shot.

This will never go away.

tenor.gif

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

This will never go away.

Yet logic says otherwise. He has 3 goals this year, putting him below Clifford for christ sakes. It does go away, when you really don't care. One of the best 'goalscorers in history' (which is complete BS btw) has been put on waivers. Sorry bud, its not even close to the truth. I mean how can you even say 'He's still one of the best goalscorer in the league history' with a straight face?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yikes, who wants a floater like that on a contender? That would be a mistake.

for the league minimum contract???? yeah i take him..the team that gets him will be getting a huge bargain.

You think he still not as good as Peca ...lol or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad