Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Watch the Sens end up with Duchene.

Can't wait to see the excuses.

"We didn't want to use up the cap space!!!"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You should post in the Canadiens PGT when we lose then......some posters there are in desperate need of your posts...seriously man.

So you're idea is to feed into that by criticizing other teams for losing?
I don't really go through or participate in GDT during preseasons because it's completely meaningless and pointless. Maybe you should do the same instead of going there, finding it ridiculous and then posting some madness of your own.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I'll be happy if they get him by giving up Chabot.

I'll be sad if they get him for Logan Brown.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

There will be some back-peddling on how the Senators couldn't possibly afford to make a trade for Duchene or Tavares, due to money issues or something.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Ducks traded Théodore to Vegas, lost Lindholm and Vatanen to injuries till January. Kessler is out till further notice.

Getzlaf and Perry are getting older.

Man, that's gonna be hard.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

There isn't any excuses, once we traded Serge that took the habs out of the running.

Would you rather Duchene or Drouin? I take Drouin.

And if Ottawa would of traded for Drouin there would of been crazy bashing on here of MB.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
There isn't any excuses, once we traded Serge that took the habs out of the running.

Would you rather Duchene or Drouin? I take Drouin.

And if Ottawa would of traded for Drouin there would of been crazy bashing on here of MB.

All good points. Not to mention a guaranteed 5 years of Drouin for possibly 2 of Duchene. And Duchene's cost is "Sergachev plus", not "Sergachev".

I would love for Bergevin to add Duchene, but for those of you pre-emptively criticizing him if he fails - who are the pieces you're willing to part with? Galchenyuk? Gallagher? Lehkonen? McCarron? Mete? Poehling? Juulsen? Lay it out now so we can see how your offer compares to the price he eventually ends up going for and we can see if Bergevin ever even had a chance.

Based on the rumblings so far of Colorado's ask, I just don't think we have the pieces. If COL is looking for a Chabot or a Werenski...I don't think we're winning that race.

Jul 6, 2016

Habs have NOTHING interesting or useful to give to Colorado to get Duchene. That's the answer.

Ottawa, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville have way more assets to deal away.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All good points. Not to mention a guaranteed 5 years of Drouin for possibly 2 of Duchene. And Duchene's cost is "Sergachev plus", not "Sergachev".

I would love for Bergevin to add Duchene, but for those of you pre-emptively criticizing him if he fails - who are the pieces you're willing to part with? Galchenyuk? Gallagher? Lehkonen? McCarron? Mete? Poehling? Juulsen? Lay it out now so we can see how your offer compares to the price he eventually ends up going for and we can see if Bergevin ever even had a chance.

Based on the rumblings so far of Colorado's ask, I just don't think we have the pieces. If COL is looking for a Chabot or a Werenski...I don't think we're winning that race.

I'd be more than willing to move Galchenyuk for Duchene. It's quite obvious that this management has no intention of putting Chucky at C or RW. Leaving him at LW where he is mostly ineffective and severed from using his gifts and abilities.

So, move Galchenyuk for Duchene. Finally have at least one legitimate center in the line-up.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Here to help.

I think Drouin was worth less than Duchene on account of Tampa's cap situation, depth at forward, desire for Sergachev, Duchene's poor play in the past season, and Colorado's seeming disinterest in moving him. Lucky for us, Drouin came at a discount, I reckon. Otherwise I think Duchene should be worth more by a little bit.
Come on man, you loved the trade at first as well. I will take Drouin over Duchene every day of the week. That being said, I still don't understand why we couldn't just offersheet Drouin to a similar contract. Tampa had no chance to sign him, and they have been trying to trade him for a defenseman since forever now. Now you can trade Sergachev for Duchene or something like that.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

If Duchene could be had for any non roster piece I do it (Mac/Hudon/1st round pick/Scherback/Julsen etc...)

For AG straight up I think long and hard but possibly step away.

But like you said we don't have what Colorado wants. Only way it happens is every other team says F off to Sakic or Sakic decides to sabotage his team because he knows he is getting fired and pays MB back for sending him Ghetto for Martinsens.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Come on man, you loved the trade at first as well. I will take Drouin over Duchene every day of the week. That being said, I still don't understand why we couldn't just offersheet Drouin to a similar contract. Tampa had no chance to sign him, and they have been trying to trade him for a defenseman since forever now. Now you can trade Sergachev for Duchene or something like that.

Its the NHL no one offersheets.

EDM could of been in trouble and no one swooped in. No one is going to offersheet any of TOR's guys.

AA in DET is going to walk out on his team yet on OS's. Pasta was ripe for the taking and nothing.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'd be more than willing to move Galchenyuk for Duchene. It's quite obvious that this management has no intention of putting Chucky at C or RW. Leaving him at LW where he is mostly ineffective and severed from using his gifts and abilities.

So, move Galchenyuk for Duchene. Finally have at least one legitimate center in the line-up.

I kind of agree with you. If this is how we're going to handle Galchenyuk, just trade him for a bonafide C. Duchene and Drouin puts us in a better position for centre depth than we've been in in the last, what, 15 years?

Bergevin's comments on Galchenyuk at the golf tournament were so harsh that I have to figure he's not in our long-term plans anyway. Might as well use him to land the biggest fish while there's one out there.

Of course it opens up another hole on the wing by trading Galchenyuk, but it's at least easier to find a top-six winger than a top-six centre (not for Bergevin, maybe, who has immense trouble doing either, but in general).

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I kind of agree with you. If this is how we're going to handle Galchenyuk, just trade him for a bonafide C. Duchene and Drouin puts us in a better position for centre depth than we've been in in the last, what, 15 years?

Of course it opens up another hole on the wing by trading Galchenyuk, but it's at least easier to find a top-six winger than a top-six centre (not for Bergevin, maybe, who has immense trouble doing either, but in general).

Patches - Lehkonen - Gallagher - Hudon

It's not ideal, it's not big. But I'd rather be weaker on the wings than down the middle.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Nothing on the habs is guaranteed. And Drouin was still sergechev plus.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I liked the trade for sure but then losing Beaulieu and Markov and not signing any other PMD, and not keeping Radulov like we all thought we'd keep, really put a damper on that. I think you'd agree. Unless Jonny bursts out, I'd rather have Radulov and Sergachev than Drouin for this season.

As for the offersheet, I don't think it's the Bin style. He could've offer sheeted Shaw upto 3.7m (which CHI wouldn't have matched) and only given up a single 2nd round pick. We know what he is by now, he's unimaginative and a Good Ol' Boy style GM.

Loring Beaulieu is a positive for me, kid had real issues on and off the ice. And yes, losing Markov was a massive blow. But, I don't see what this has to do with Sergachev. Sergachev still has ways to go until he becomes an nhl regular, shouldn't be in the top 4, and keeping him on the top 6 is a waste. Either he goes back to junior or to a European team or something like that. Also, shouldn't losing Radulov make this move all the more worth it? If we never made that trade, our offense would be absolutely putrid(even worse than now) and Sergachev MIGHT be able to crack the d-core.

I'd also rather have Radulov and Sergachev, but solely for value. I'd love to have Radulov and Drouin even more. I do get what you mean though, losing the best possible replacement as a top 4 lhd(biggest weakness, yes even worse than our centers) is not good. But until Sergachev proves his worth by being a top 4 dman and we don't get another top 4 dman in some way, this isn't an issue that sergachev would solve instantly.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Nothing on the habs is guaranteed. And Drouin was still sergechev plus.[/

Well, you know what I mean. Guaranteed from a contract perspective if nothing else.

I noted my mistake on the Sergachev trade but the "plus" we paid there is obviously not going to be the equivalent to the "plus" Colorado seems to be looking for, which I believe includes a roster player and a 1st on top of the young elite LHD or whatever they want the main piece to be.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Pretty much this. If they aren't going to use him for what they drafted him for then its time to move on. Which is evident by the contract they gave him. Also yet another example of our horrid development. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad