Out of Town Thread: Pre-Pre-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He should have asked for more.

It's a hard to gauge this one because there is no precedence for what Karlsson did this year. He went from 9 goals to 6 goals to 43 goals and from 20 points to 25 points to 78.

He had the season he had at the right time, for sure. I could see him getting somewhere around $4M-4.5M.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I still don't understand that Skinner trade... would've probably got more at the TDL... what was the rush to trade the guy?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
IMG_6082.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I still don't understand that Skinner trade... would've probably got more at the TDL... what was the rush to trade the guy?

The new owner wanted to make a splash. It was already known he was looking to shake things up. Bob McKenzie had said everyone was available but Sebastian Aho.

The returns for the trades aren't the greatest, though. Skinner also had a full NMC, which made moving him difficult. It's possible he refused to lift the NMC to go to a team that may have just been willing to offer more than what they ended up getting from Buffalo.

Reactions: DAChampion

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's a hard to gauge this one because there is no precedence for what Karlsson did this year. He went from 9 goals to 6 goals to 43 goals and from 20 points to 25 points to 78.

He had the season he had at the right time, for sure. I could see him getting somewhere around $4M-4.5M.

It's a tough gamble for sure. If he has another season like this one he will asking for A LOT more next year. If they can get him signed for 5-6M long term I would just bite the bullet.

Exactly as I said above. How much is a 25 goal scoring center worth on the open market? If they sign him for 5-6M and he scores only 25G, that's OK. If he has another breakout season then you just got yourself the best bargain in the NHL.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's a tough gamble for sure. If he has another season like this one he will asking for A LOT more next year. If they can get him signed for 5-6M long term I would just bite the bullet.

Like they did with Marchessault. They signed him to 6 years at $5M. However, Marchessault already had a 30-goal season before Vegas picked him up in the Expansion Draft.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The new owner wanted to make a splash. It was already known he was looking to shake things up. Bob McKenzie had said everyone was available but Sebastian Aho.

The returns for the trades aren't the greatest, though. Skinner also had a full NMC, which made moving him difficult. It's possible he refused to lift the NMC to go to a team that may have just been willing to offer more than what they ended up getting from Buffalo.

I know all the details but still... The return is bad IMO, I would be pissed if Bergevin traded Pacioretty for this kind of package.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If he only manages to get 2-second rounders then he ****ed up royally! He moved Eller for 2-second rounders...

Eller is a center, was two years younger than Pacioretty is now, and is a better playoff warrior than Pacioretty.

That said the main issue is that trade value fluctuates with time due to demand. A player can be worth a lot one year and less the next due to fluctuating needs around the league .

It's not as though Eller would have always been worth two second rounders. However on that day he was. That is in part because he was exactly the player that the Washington Capitals needed .

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Eller is a center, was two years younger than Pacioretty is now, and is a better playoff warrior than Pacioretty.

That said the main issue is that trade value fluctuates with time due to demand. A player can be worth a lot one year and less the next due to fluctuating needs around the league .

It's not as though Eller would have always been worth two second rounders. However on that day he was. That is in part because he was exactly the player that the Washington Capitals needed .

Are you seriously trying to make an argument that Eller had more value than Pacioretty? Come on!

I know circumstances and all but a guy like Pacioretty should still bring in quite more than Le beau Lars at his best.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Trading him to a cup contender would've probably changed his mind no?
That's conjecture. You can tell who's going to be contender now and he most probably refused. The return is going to be ugly if you limit the amount of teams to negotiate with no matter if it's the TDL or not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Trading him to a cup contender would've probably changed his mind no?

Maybe. Maybe not. He lifted his NMC to go to Buffalo. They have a good young group of players there, but they're not exactly playoff material, let alone contender. He had a better chance at the playoffs never waiving his NMC to stay in Carolina.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That's conjecture. You can tell who's going to be contender now and he most probably refused. The return is going to be ugly if you limit the amount of teams to negotiate with no matter if it's the TDL or not.

Being traded for the whole season and being traded for a couple of months with the chance to win a cup is quite different IMO.

I don't know Skinner personally but I would have no problem being traded anywhere in the league for 2 months and having a chance to win a cup and raise my value for the UFA market opening...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I heard Washington tried to acquire Eller the year before they traded for him too. Hard to believe that he's the first Danish player to ever win the Stanley Cup.

I miss Lars Eller!

Eller training together with Terrell Owens(43) while he was in MTL. Talk about an odd couple.

About the time Caps center Lars Eller worked out with Terrell Owens for a week …

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Are you seriously trying to make an argument that Eller had more value than Pacioretty? Come on!

I know circumstances and all but a guy like Pacioretty should still bring in quite more than Le beau Lars at his best.

Not necessarily. Reiterating:

- Eller was two years younger than Pacioretty is now;
- Eller is a centre;
- Eller is specifically what Washington was looking for;
- Eller is a better playoff warrior than Pacioretty;
- Eller is outstanding on the penalty kill;

Let's write this out mathematically. Eller was 27, and Pacioretty was 29, so you potentially get the following years of production if you sign and keep the players:

Eller: 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 8 years or use
Pacioretty: 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 6 years of use

So Eller gives you a potential two additional years of use. That alone is worth a 2nd rounder.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Being traded for the whole season and being traded for a couple of months with the chance to win a cup is quite different IMO.

I don't know Skinner personally but I would have no problem being traded anywhere in the league for 2 months and having a chance to win a cup and raise my value for the UFA market opening...
I don't know him either, but moving close to Toronto was mentioned in the press. I think we'll get a better understanding if Buffalo extends him before July 1st.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad