Out of Town Thread Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Oh, ok, I just saw Carcillo's tweet about the Sutters. "Sexual abuse!" "Underage drinking!" :laugh:

Keep it coming guys!
You know, acting tough doesn't actually mask your insecurities, it only amplifies them.

Also, I'm glad you think that someone claiming sexual abuse is something to laugh about. You're a real winner.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I'm a frequent listener of spittin chiclets. I don't necessarily admire the crew, but I do enjoy the real world insight from those that play in the league. One thing that shocked me was the casualness around using cocaine. Ryan Whitney went on a little spiel saying basically that he didn't think that doing coke 4 or 5 times a year wasn't necessarily any worse than getting piss drunk 2-3 times a week. As if there has to be a choice between one or the other.

A few years back I ran into an old high school buddy. We had a good night at the bar together and ended up back at my place. Buddy starts cutting up lines on my coffee table. I had always been curious about the drug and started asking, basically asking to try it. He looked at me straight in the face and said "don't". I've always thought that hard drugs were nothing to be tinkered with, but I'm not sure if all the NHL vets feel the same way.

TLDR, glad to see the league and sport are making progress.

Had a buddy say the same thing, dont try it. I am sure you see more of it out west due to the nature of the work and the fact that those people make a ton of money and can get drug tested at any moment. Cant smoke weed, but coke is out of your system for a Monday morning.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I walked into a bookstore the other day and saw that Max Domi had a book and I wondered to myself: why isn't everyone calling Domi a selfish player that's in it for himself like they did when PK did that charity thing with the hospital?

The extent to which people went out of their way to say that Subban's charity was all about PK was shocking, yet no one has an issue with Domi releasing a book, hanging out with celebrities and supposedly poo-pooing over his contract.

Domi isn't as attention seeking as Subban is, but he's still pretty much spotlight seeker. Why aren't we calling Domi a selfish diva worried about his brand?

There was a piece on La presse calling Domi selfish for being mad he was at wing just two days ago.

*Looks out of the window, looks at how this new way of treating/raising kids is working out compared to a couple of decennials ago"

Yeah. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on. Progressism is the way in every single case.

In your case, I think progressisms could be the way. Lets dial it back a bit, stop being offended by change and lets discuss this like adults. You have taken a stand against these change, it is fine, you can have that opinion, but you should be ready to be called out when you're wrong, and here Ill say it, you're wrong.

If you are referring to the Babcock story, I think it's overblown, I think people calling Babcock a terrible human being for that story are maybe overreacting, but you are straight up defending the story.

Do you know what Babcock said when asked about it by Friedman ?

I was trying to focus on work ethic with Mitch - focusing on role models - it ended up not being a good idea. I apologized at the time,” Babcock said.

You realize that even Babcock didn't think it was a good idea ?

There's no ego in there. It's just a dumb, bad move.

I'm a frequent listener of spittin chiclets. I don't necessarily admire the crew, but I do enjoy the real world insight from those that play in the league. One thing that shocked me was the casualness around using cocaine. Ryan Whitney went on a little spiel saying basically that he didn't think that doing coke 4 or 5 times a year wasn't necessarily any worse than getting piss drunk 2-3 times a week. As if there has to be a choice between one or the other.

A few years back I ran into an old high school buddy. We had a good night at the bar together and ended up back at my place. Buddy starts cutting up lines on my coffee table. I had always been curious about the drug and started asking, basically asking to try it. He looked at me straight in the face and said "don't". I've always thought that hard drugs were nothing to be tinkered with, but I'm not sure if all the NHL vets feel the same way.

TLDR, glad to see the league and sport are making progress.

It's not exactly wrong, IMO. Alcohol probably has an even higher potential of ruining lives because its widely accepted, and even encouraged. How many times do we hear people say in GDTs that theyll get drunk because the team sucks or whatever and everyone laughs it off ? We even have a resident poster that I won't name that gets shit faced and posts his blood alcohol level and its fine for most people. I was kind of a party guy when I was in my early 20s and alcohol ruined many relationship, and Im lucky to still have my closest friend because I was a complete trainwreck to myself and to them. Whitney isn't wrong when he says that, he's wrong when he's saying getting shit-faced is something normal.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You know, acting tough doesn't actually mask your insecurities, it only amplifies them.

Also, I'm glad you think that someone claiming sexual abuse is something to laugh about. You're a real winner.

The worst is that these are the people who become incredulous about Starbucks holiday cups, saying "Happy Holidays," or not wearing Poppies in November.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
*Looks out of the window, looks at how this new way of treating/raising kids is working out compared to a couple of decennials ago"

Yeah. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on. Progressism is the way in every single case.
It's really horrible. It's like a weir breed of anti-socials incapable to facing any kind of adversity.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Acting tough? There's absolutely no sexual abuse involved there. It's a bunch of drunk teenagers acting goofy, which is exactly what initiations are all about. For f*** sake. Sexual abuse? Really?!

Part of our initiation in College was getting whipped with ethernet cables by the seniors. We all drank together later on that night. I'm not going to complain about getting "physically abused". This is ridiculous.

You know what's dangerous in all of this? It's the banalisation of the term "sexual abuse". Ask those who were actually, you know, assaulted or abused sexually how they feel when a group of drunk teenagers in dresses are being put in the same category as them.

As for underage drinking... In what world do you think you're living? Have you ever attended a prom or something?

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Acting tough? There's absolutely no sexual abuse involved there. It's a bunch of drunk teenagers acting goofy, which is exactly what initiations are all about. For **** sake. Sexual abuse? Really?!

Part of our initiation in College was getting whipped with ethernet cables by the seniors. We all drank together later on that night. I'm not going to complain about getting "physically abused". This is ridiculous.

You know what's dangerous in all of this? It's the banalisation of the term "sexual abuse". Ask those who were actually, you know, assaulted or abused sexually how they feel when a group of drunk teenagers in dresses are being put in the same category as them.

As for underage drinking... In what world do you think you're living? Have you ever attended a prom or something?

Until the full details are out you cant make assumptions about what the sexual abuse was. All Carcillo's tweet said was that sexual abuse happened at the same rookie party pictured with the players dressed up in girls stuff.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Acting tough? There's absolutely no sexual abuse involved there. It's a bunch of drunk teenagers acting goofy, which is exactly what initiations are all about. For **** sake. Sexual abuse? Really?!

1. Where in my post did I mention underage drinking? I'm not sure what you're blabbing about.

2. I addressed you laughing at someone who feels they've been sexually abused. I mean, there really isn't any argument to made here. It's just complete stupid and sociopathic to laugh at anyone who feels violated.

3. It's great that you enjoyed getting whipped, but no one should have to face physical, mental or borderline sexual abuse to be accepted by their peers. Claiming that it's just "sports" doesn't absolve the fact that no one should be forced to do something they don't feel comfortable with. If someone feels like being forced to strip down naked and enter a small bathroom stall with others is borderline sexual abuse, who are you to laugh at them and underplay the significance of what is being asked.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's not exactly wrong, IMO. Alcohol probably has an even higher potential of ruining lives because its widely accepted, and even encouraged. How many times do we hear people say in GDTs that theyll get drunk because the team sucks or whatever and everyone laughs it off ? We even have a resident poster that I won't name that gets **** faced and posts his blood alcohol level and its fine for most people. I was kind of a party guy when I was in my early 20s and alcohol ruined many relationship, and Im lucky to still have my closest friend because I was a complete trainwreck to myself and to them. Whitney isn't wrong when he says that, he's wrong when he's saying getting ****-faced is something normal.
Its dumb logic though. The people who are tinkering with coke a couple times a year aren't abstaining from alcohol. Its stupid and irresponsible to say something like "is cocaine really that bad compared to alcohol abuse?" It's like saying you'd prefer if your child was a shoplifter rather than someone who steals cars.

I've also had my issues with booze over the years and I agree - its so harmful because its use and abuse is encouraged. Hardly touch the stuff anymore.

What I see as a problem now is that binge drinking is used as a measuring stick for social activities. "20 hours of video games a day isn't that bad, at least hes' not getting blackout drunk", "casual use of hard drugs isn't that bad, at least its better than getting wasted". Just because its less horrible, doesn't mean its good.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its dumb logic though. The people who are tinkering with coke a couple times a year aren't abstaining from alcohol. Its stupid and irresponsible to say something like "is cocaine really that bad compared to alcohol abuse?" It's like saying you'd prefer if your child was a shoplifter rather than someone who steals cars.

I've also had my issues with booze over the years and I agree - its so harmful because its use and abuse is encouraged. Hardly touch the stuff anymore.

What I see as a problem now is that binge drinking is used as a measuring stick for social activities. "20 hours of video games a day isn't that bad, at least hes' not getting blackout drunk", "casual use of hard drugs isn't that bad, at least its better than getting wasted". Just because its less horrible, doesn't mean its good.
I think my last sentence was clearer, I meant exactly that. Its all bad and it should be looked at from the same angle. Whitney acts like its all fine, but its pretty much at the other end of the spectrum. There's nothing good that comes out of this stuff and I hardly drink anymore too.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal

https://www.espn.com/otl/hazing/list.html

would you be ok with half the list?
why is it ok in sports? if i came with a whip and beat your kids and shoved a banana up their ass as a ritual to go to the grocery store, would you be ok with it?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
https://www.espn.com/otl/hazing/list.html

would you be ok with half the list?
why is it ok in sports? if i came with a whip and beat your kids and shoved a banana up their ass as a ritual to go to the grocery store, would you be ok with it?

Marian College (Wisc.)
Hockey

Coach Paul Caufield resigned after a hazing on the team bus. Details of the initiation event were not made available.

Yup, thats Coles dad.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
1. Where in my post did I mention underage drinking? I'm not sure what you're blabbing about.

2. I addressed you laughing at someone who feels they've been sexually abused. I mean, there really isn't any argument to made here. It's just complete stupid and sociopathic to laugh at anyone who feels violated.

3. It's great that you enjoyed getting whipped, but no one should have to face physical, mental or borderline sexual abuse to be accepted by their peers. Claiming that it's just "sports" doesn't absolve the fact that no one should be forced to do something they don't feel comfortable with. If someone feels like being forced to strip down naked and enter a small bathroom stall with others is borderline sexual abuse, who are you to laugh at them and underplay the significance of what is being asked.

I'll just say that. If to Carcillo, the "sexual abuse" involved there was teenagers wearing dresses and panties, it's a real joke. Until we hear more, it's all there is to it. Stupid games with some alcohol involved.

As for him crying about "underage drinking" and blaming the Sutters for this... PLEASE...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He needs a good slap upside the head. He's got hockey fans from probably age 12, maybe even younger listening to his show, and he goes on to say that casual use of hard drugss isn't that bad? And Bissonnette agreed with him. It just seems irresponsible, and dumb.

But I guess it would be hard to be authentic if you didn't say what you thought.

He's an ex-hockey player that pushes his brand of alcohol on a hockey podcast hosted by a guy that made his fame from being a punching bag.

If your kids are listening to this podcast youre doing something very wrong and need to learn how to use a parental control app. Or at least have a serious talk with your kid, or maybe listen to it with him so you can have that talk.

Honestly I used to like Spittin' chiclets but I don't listen to it anymore. Its sad because I do like some of the interviews they have with players... A lot of the time its about the grinder life of hockey, something that should probably be erased from the sport. Noticed that they never had a french-canadian on there too ? I sure did. I think they refered to Therrien as a "french-f***" once. Now, Id refer to Therrien as a "xxx-f***" too, but that seemed awkwardly directed towards something Id rather not hear.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I didn't even realize that Colorado has a very decent start of the season while playing the last 15ish games without Rantanen and Landeskog...in the meantime....in Montreal, we are desperateley missing Drouin...lollll

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Showing my ignorance here, but is it a myth that some people may become hooked "instantly" on certain hard drugs like coke/meth/heroin? I know if I had to choose for my kid, I'd rather him be someone who abuses alcohol rather than abusing hard drugs.

Addiction happens in many different ways and theres a lot of factors that can play into it. Accessibility is probably the biggest factor, dopamine reaction another, withdrawals would be another big one. Nicotine, Alcohol and Cocaine probably score around the same level and heroin scores higher for sure. Opiates would rank lower than all of those. If I remember my class I took on addictions last winter, Alcohol is the one with the worst dopamine effect and its also really fun to be drunk and to top it all off, probably the easiest to get by and the less looked down on. Its a no-brainer.

Edit: That wasn't clear but you could think of it as a simple mathematical formula of Pleasure+dopamine reaction+withdrawal+accessibility Alcohol would probably have the worst addiction score of all with heroin trailing it because its more expensive, harder to get by, has harsher withdrawal symptoms but provides more pleasure

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't even realize that Colorado has a very decent start of the season while playing the last 15ish games without Rantanen and Landeskog...in the meantime....in Montreal, we are desperateley missing Drouin...lollll

Well they added Burakovsky, Kadri and Makar in one off season. Thats a 1C , a 1st line winger and a first D, on the habs.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
He's an ex-hockey player that pushes his brand of alcohol on a hockey podcast hosted by a guy that made his fame from being a punching bag.

If your kids are listening to this podcast youre doing something very wrong and need to learn how to use a parental control app. Or at least have a serious talk with your kid, or maybe listen to it with him so you can have that talk.

Honestly I used to like Spittin' chiclets but I don't listen to it anymore. Its sad because I do like some of the interviews they have with players... A lot of the time its about the grinder life of hockey, something that should probably be erased from the sport. Noticed that they never had a french-canadian on there too ? I sure did. I think they refered to Therrien as a "french-****" once. Now, Id refer to Therrien as a "xxx-****" too, but that seemed awkwardly directed towards something Id rather not hear.

They had Maxim Talbot, this summer I think. One of the only podcasts I've listened from them.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Well they added Burakovsky, Kadri and Makar in one off season. Thats a 1C , a 1st line winger and a first D, on the habs.

That's enough now, stop pointing to good GMs and their competitive teams , we should be content our GM isn't the worst! We are afterall a recent expansion team in a non-traditional hockey market...:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad