Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We'll see how things play out out for the Devils, i'm not as convinced as most. I still see them as a bubble team.

But one thing i'll give Shero credit for is that he's bold.

He wanted to make moves to really affect the dynamic of the Devils and he's done several moves to support that goal. He didn't wait for perfect deals to materialize, he provoked them.

Though I suppose, being bad enough to end up with #1 picks 2 out of the last 3 years and also picking in the top 12 5 times in the last 5 years helps.
Yeah, all the genius in the world still doesn't trump dumb luck at the draft lottery. New Jersey's the NHL version of Jed Clampett shootin' at some food, when up through the ground comes a bubblin' crude. 1st overall, that is. Draft gold.

Seriously, if Cory Schneider somehow makes it back to where he was, NJ will be great. We forget how good he was before injury.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yeah, all the genius in the world still doesn't trump dumb luck at the draft lottery. New Jersey's the NHL version of Jed Clampett shootin' at some food, when up through the ground comes a bubblin' crude. 1st overall, that is. Draft gold.

Seriously, if Cory Schneider somehow makes it back to where he was, NJ will be great. We forget how good he was before injury.

If Schneider make it back at how he was, they are cup contender. He was a real stud

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Still a lot of new pieces to build chemistry, that sometimes takes time...the Taylor Hall situation could go either way, he apparently wants out, how might that affect things? Having the question of whether or not he signs hanging over the team could prove disruptive.

Schneider's last 15 games doesn't wipe out the previous 2.5yrs where he seemed to forget how to play goalie.

Still a lot of question marks for me...paper tiger for me until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Lshap

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Read the Username that’s bolded in a cyan type colour and it’ll all make sense
lol I know he's typically cynical and to his credit, it's often proven right.

But if there's an element we should be optimistic about, it's the way Jesperi Kotkaniemi played last year and his prospects for the future.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The owner gets more money in his pocket...which is goal #1 in any/every deal they make.

I wonder what they could have got to take on Callahan without flipping Condon back? Probably a 3rd at least maybe a second. Instead they upgrade their 6th round pick for Tampa's 5th. For 2019 as an example Tampa finished 1st overall but lost in 1st round so bottom 4 picks go to semifinalists- their pick is 5th from bottom of round 5 or 151 overall, Ottawa finished last so their pick was 156.

Sens save $3M of real salary owed to Condon and since Callahan is insured they pay 20% roughly of the 4.7M Callahan is owed or 940K. net gain $2,060K. I feel bad for sens fans and their players. This is downright embarassing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder what they could have got to take on Callahan without flipping Condon back? Probably a 3rd at least maybe a second. Instead they upgrade their 6th round pick for Tampa's 5th. For 2019 as an example Tampa finished 1st overall but lost in 1st round so bottom 4 picks go to semifinalists- their pick is 5th from bottom of round 5 or 151 overall, Ottawa finished last so their pick was 156.

Sens save $3M of real salary owed to Condon and since Callahan is insured they pay 20% roughly of the 4.7M Callahan is owed or 940K. net gain $2,060K. I feel bad for sens fans and their players. This is downright embarassing.
I don't...I have zero sympathy for that fanbase/team.

The fact their owner basically uses their organization as a Money Mart cash advance scheme kills me :laugh:

Reactions: CDN24

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Come on bro...you really don't understand how we didn't trade for Subban?

lol I mean....
After I read Scherbak's comments on Bergevin and Michael Therrien... (not that we didn't know before)... It is pretty obvious that Habs organization will not have a Subban type player. Wrong CHaracter.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Both Simmonds and Subban looked like damaged goods last season. I have less faith in Simmonds recovering, but who knows? Impossible for us to guess how much was due to temporary injury and how much was permanent decline/wear & tear. For what it's worth, New Jersey's medical and scouting experts seem to agree with you on Simmonds, since they determined he was worth $5M. On the other hand, they determined Subban's value was lower, and Nashville obviously agreed. If both players were assessed correctly, Simmonds has a better chance for a comeback than Subban.

you saw NJ's medical report on PK?
otherwise, that assessment seems pretty inconsistent. NJ, like any team, would always have incentive to pay the lowest return possible. Nashville decided it needed to re-allocate 9M$ worth of cap space for the next 3 seasons. Their decision that moving PK was the best option, given their depth on Defense and other roster & upcoming contract needs, meant they needed to find a suitor who could take on that cap hit. A more fitting assessment, without access to medical reports, would be that there weren't many teams in mid-july that had both the need and cap flexibility to acquire a 3-year/9M$ contract... NJ benefited from the situation as a result.

Reactions: LaP

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Weber being out didn't have as huge of an impact , as Habs had relative success with him out and the rest of the teams still in offseason mode.
There is no indication that Carey Price will maintain elite numbers as he gets older , goalies like Lundqvist did fine in their later years but certainly not at the levels seen in their prime. (though I do still believe in Price's talent , I just don't think it's smart to pay him 10.5M until he is 38 but that's just me and another subject all together)

The following players had their best season statistically speaking:

Tomas Tatar
Brendan Gallagher
Max Domi
Philippe Danault
Jeff Petry
Andrew Shaw (no longer on the team)
Jamie Benn (no longer on the team)

Drouin was also having a career year until he hit his slump as well as Byron until he got injured. The momentum from everybody playing out of their minds and feasting on teams not yet awake (Stanley cup winner was a lottery team at this point) lead us to finishing 9th in our conference. The East is a lot more competitive , teams that have better prospects then us are maturing and getting better , Florida/New Jersey/Rangers are teams that have become a lot stronger just over the last summer.

Gally did not have a career year points wise, just with goals. Druin only matched his previous career best and is only 24. Tatar only surpassed his previous total by 2 points. Petry surpassed his career points totals each of the last three years. I fail to see why the players mentioned can't at least match what they did last year. Even if Domi takes a dip in points thanks to a favourable sh% last season, assuming KK will more nthan make up for it is not exactly an unrealistic expectation.

The top 6 point getters in Toronto all had career highs too, but suggesting that they can't meet or exceed what they did last year is considered laughable.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
After I read Scherbak's comments on Bergevin and Michael Therrien... (not that we didn't know before)... It is pretty obvious that Habs organization will not have a Subban type player. Wrong CHaracter.
Well I mean...after everything that happen.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the Habs would ever be interested in re-acquiring him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The owner gets more money in his pocket...which is goal #1 in any/every deal they make.

Not sure how much money he'll make in his pocket the day Sens fans stop going and watching 'cause they realize that putting a good team on the ice is not important.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure how much money he'll make in his pocket the day Sens fans stop going and watching 'cause they realize that putting a good team on the ice is not important.
Too late for that...attendance for Sens games, especially for a Canadian city, is embarrassing.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I said this years ago...but "cap hell" is a myth created by fans/media.

There's no such thing, there are always ways for teams/owners to bail themselves out.

Tell that to Dubas after giving up a 1st to have Carolina buy out the Marleau contract.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He’s already broke apparently. That’s what floats around here (I live in Ottawa).

There was this whole thing with the arena downtown that now he wants the city to pay for and the mayor is essentially telling him to f*** off, which has put the entire revitalization project for that area on hold since Melnyk’s group won the bid.

He doesn’t have the money, he’s lost a lot from failed business ventures and divorce, apparently.

If someone sent an offer sheet to Chabot structured the way our deal was to Aho, I don’t think Melnyk can actually afford to match it and pay that much money in such a short timeframe.

Someone is going to feast on that situation if the Sens don’t trade Chabot before it can happen, and if it does go to offer sheets, I hope we’re the ones to flex our financial muscles and send a huge offer to Chabot filled with signing bonuses.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He’s already broke apparently. That’s what floats around here (I live in Ottawa).

There was this whole thing with the arena downtown that now he wants the city to pay for and the mayor is essentially telling him to **** off, which has put the entire revitalization project for that area on hold since Melnyk’s group won the bid.

He doesn’t have the money, he’s lost a lot from failed business ventures and divorce, apparently.

If someone sent an offer sheet to Chabot structured the way our deal was to Aho, I don’t think Melnyk can actually afford to match it and pay that much money in such a short timeframe.

Someone is going to feast on that situation if the Sens don’t trade Chabot before it can happen, and if it does go to offer sheets, I hope we’re the ones to flex our financial muscles and send a huge offer to Chabot filled with signing bonuses.

This bullshit has to stop.
NHL owners are billionnaire. It's ridiculous to suggest they can't afford to pay 20M in a 12 months timeframe.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
you saw NJ's medical report on PK?
otherwise, that assessment seems pretty inconsistent. NJ, like any team, would always have incentive to pay the lowest return possible. Nashville decided it needed to re-allocate 9M$ worth of cap space for the next 3 seasons. Their decision that moving PK was the best option, given their depth on Defense and other roster & upcoming contract needs, meant they needed to find a suitor who could take on that cap hit. A more fitting assessment, without access to medical reports, would be that there weren't many teams in mid-july that had both the need and cap flexibility to acquire a 3-year/9M$ contract... NJ benefited from the situation as a result.
My point was that a team's medical & scouting experts have much more information than we do. You and I could spend all day guessing a player's status from watching random video clips, but how much value does that have? Both Simmonds and Subban were injured and had poor seasons; before spending millions, NJ had scouts and doctors evaluating their odds of recovering. They obviously have some short-term faith in Simmonds because they gave him $5M. They have longer-term faith in Subban, but the return reflects lower expectations. If Subban was perceived to still be a top dman, Nashville would've gotten a 1st-round pick and/or a top prospect. Nashville could've saved the cap space they need while still adding high-end talent. They were willing to lose Subban for less. Were their evaluations wrong? Maybe. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Tell that to Dubas after giving up a 1st to have Carolina buy out the Marleau contract.

I'm sure he'll spend whole nights awake, knowing he potentially let the next Michael McCarron or Nikita Scherbak fall right on Waddell's lap, when he only has Mitch Marner, John Tavares and Auston Matthews to show for it.

417 is totally right. Cap Hell is a myth. You always get teams that are said to be in deep trouble, but the more time goes by, the least cheaper owners can spend up close to the salary cap, and the more options those said "reckless" teams have to unload their bad contracts.

The situation is only going to be even more obvious as years go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad