Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I don’t know how to carry quotes forward. On the last thread 417 said:

“I know I don't want anything to do with players from Manitoba...

Especially if they're from Flin Flon.

Edit - throw in the state of Idaho too...nothing good but potatoes comes out of Idaho.”
———————————
Thats a silly comparison to a player from russia. There are clear cultural gaps that are at play. Notably language. How many Finns or Swedes come over not speaking any english? Or retire with choppy English? And how many players from Idaho head home to play profession hockey in their primes?

Players from anywhere can fail but players from Russia offer unique challenges. So ya, I would take consensus pick Russian, or gamble in later rounds, but I’d be hesitant to draft a Russian player if I had a comparable player from another region on my list. Ymmv but I doubt any scout lasts long that favours drafting from Russia, lots of high profile busts.

Just for fun looks at the Preds draft history.
They have taken around 20 Russan players in their history and only one really turned out, Radulov, and he peeled back to Russia lol. They didn’t draft another one for like 8 years (took two last draft). Think about that, 18 years in the league and one Russian player shows promise and bails.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal

Edit - throw in the state of Idaho too...nothing good but potatoes comes out of Idaho.”
———————————
Thats a silly comparison to a player from russia. There are clear cultural gaps that are at play. Notably language. How many Finns or Swedes come over not speaking any english? Or retire with choppy English? And how many players from Idaho head home to play profession hockey in their primes?

Players from anywhere can fail but players from Russia offer unique challenges. So ya, I would take consensus pick Russian, or gamble in later rounds, but I’d be hesitant to draft a Russian player if I had a comparable player from another region on my list. Ymmv but I doubt any scout lasts long that favours drafting from Russia, lots of high profile busts.

They have taken around 20 Russan players in their history and only one really turned out, Radulov, and he peeled back to Russia lol. They didn’t draft another one for like 8 years (took two last draft). Think about that, 18 years in the league and one Russian player shows promise and bails.
How many Quebecois did we draft that succeeded? Maybe ban them too

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

———————————

I was being sarcastic...I thought that was obvious lol.

But for the record, I think having internal policies that exclude players based on where they're born, is ridiculous (if not downright shameful).

But it's hockey...as I said earlier in that thread, xenophobia kinda comes with the territory.

P.s. - I'm sure if you scoured through the Preds draft history, you'll notice they drafted plenty of good Canadian boys who flopped too.

If you're a team who avoids drafting Russian players because of fears with their signability...that's one thing.

But if you're not drafting Russians and have internal policies excluding Russians based purely on the fact they're Russian...

Then that's a whole other (disturbing) thing.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

But for the record, I think having internal policies that exclude players based on where they're born, is ridiculous (if not downright shameful).

But it's hockey...as I said earlier in that thread, xenophobia kinda comes with the territory.

P.s. - I'm sure if you scoured through the Preds draft history, you'll notice they drafted plenty of good Canadian boys who flopped too.

If you're a team who avoids drafting Russian players because of fears with their signability...that's one thing.

But if you're not drafting Russians and have internal policies excluding Russians based purely on the fact they're Russian...

Some of the people that think that Russians are evil are also the same people that clamour and bang drums that we do not draft enough local talent from the Q. So double standard like! Welcome to hf habs. The same people that accuse me of being a bigot for my harsh criticism of Drouin are the first ones to call Radulov a mercenary! This needs to change.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I loved the sarcasm from your prior post. Nicely done. :thumbu:

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you want a linked quote on a closed thread, you can bookmark the post, then go to your account's bookmark list, there you will find the post's unique ID.

Like your present post:
quote=japhi, post: 163493485, member: 231705

They should leave the multi-quote function active even for closed threads. It’s a real pain to have to recreate a post from a closed thread into an active thread, esp. when you have several.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some of the people that think that Russians are evil are also the same people that clamour and bang drums that we do not draft enough local talent from the Q. So double standard like! Welcome to hf habs. The same people that accuse me of being a bigot for my harsh criticism of Drouin are the first ones to call Radulov a mercenary! This needs to change.

There are bad players from all nationalities, totally agree with your premise.

It’s up to scouting to weed out the ones less likely to realize their potential.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Shattenkirk and Brendan Smith, two terrible contracts given by Jeff Gorton.

Do you think some team trades for either of them in exchange for a prospect and/or pick /Rags eating some salary or does Gorton buy both out?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do you think some team trades for either of them in exchange for a prospect and/or pick /Rags eating some salary or does Gorton buy both out?

From what Brooks indicates, Shattenkirk most likely will be bought out. If that is true, I see them holding onto Smith instead. Maybe he will be traded with a compensation attached to it. I would be surprised if they buy both out. And I'd also be surprised that they trade both because I doubt they'd want to make two trades where they are forced to attach picks and/or prospects in order to get rid of them.

Brendan Smith was given the Alzner treatment a year ago when he was sent to the minors. Last year, however, he played all of his games in the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From what Brooks indicates, Shattenkirk most likely will be bought out. If that is true, I see them holding onto Smith instead. Maybe he will be traded with a compensation attached to it. I would be surprised if they buy both out. And I'd also be surprised that they trade both because I doubt they'd want to make two trades where they are forced to attach picks and/or prospects in order to get rid of them.

Brendan Smith was given the Alzner treatment a year ago when he was sent to the minors. Last year, however, he played all of his games in the NHL.

Brooks is very well connected. I guess Shatty gets bought out then.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Brooks is very well connected. I guess Shatty gets bought out then.

For Rangers and Isles, Brooks is the guy. Like Portzline is the guy for the Jackets and Russo is the guy for the Wild.

And in Montreal, we can always count on Renaud Lavoie for the waivers confirmations.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Man, really sad how Shattenkirk's stock plummeted over the last two years. He's only 30! What happened to him?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
They should leave the multi-quote function active even for closed threads. It’s a real pain to have to recreate a post from a closed thread into an active thread, esp. when you have several.

I'm taking good note of this suggestions and see what we could do.

Reactions: Aspirine

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm taking good note of this suggestions and see what we could do.
This usually happens in repeating threads i.e. The out of town thread.
How about when a thread is closed, a link is created to the new thread so that when you reply in a closed thread, it automatically goes to the new one. Is that doable?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
This usually happens in repeating threads i.e. The out of town thread.
How about when a thread is closed, a link is created to the new thread so that when you reply in a closed thread, it automatically goes to the new one. Is that doable?

no i dont think that one is possible , but like i said i'll see what i can do and get back to you guys when i can.

I see a problem with the previous suggestion by runner , but i'll see what i can do anyway.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Man, really sad how Shattenkirk's stock plummeted over the last two years. He's only 30! What happened to him?

It's not that rare that guys slow down early in their 30ies. Honesty there's many examples of that. Maybe he doesn't have a lifestyle good enough for a pro athlete on the wrong side of 30. It doesn't really show up when the guys are 20ies but in the 30ies you got to have a good lifestyle (even more in the 40ies). Eat well, train well and sleep well. Doing what Jagr did requires an almost perfect lifestyle. I would not be surprised to see Kessel taking a major drop in the next 2-3 years. The guy looks terribly out of shape.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

I think teams are savvy enough to have come up with specified criteria that also entails the geographical history of the player they scout. It's not enough to say, "Well, they're from Russia, so no." It's more like "Well, they're from (insert country/state/province/league), so let's look at the checklist."

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think teams are savvy enough to have come up with specified criteria that also entails the geographical history of the player they scout. It's not enough to say, "Well, they're from Russia, so no." It's more like "Well, they're from (insert country/state/province/league), so let's look at the checklist."

Of course. I mean come on it should not need to be specified. Of course no team will ignore Ovy because he's russian. But some NHL managements do favor some style of players and it does play against players coming from some particular countries. It can be either way. The Sens back in the Alfredsson and Hossa days did favor European players.

For me it's very clear our management favor the whiitt *cough* Canadian *cough* way of playing hockey. And it is very dangerous to do that. There's no perfect way to play hockey. There's just guys skilled enough and guys not skilled enough.

The style of teams winning the cup changes as often as i change my underwear. But most of the time it's a very skilled team with players complimenting each other very well. Having just one style of players in a team is usually not very effective specially if they are a bunch of grinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad