Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Add that with the fact that only the Habs have very good prospects coming in and we are in route to build a dynasty for at least 15 years.

Is MB really piling all these prospects for the good pleasure of the next GM of the Habs? If he’s so willing to wait on them, he’s probably trying to secure a contract extension.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Is MB really piling all these prospects for the good pleasure of the next GM of the Habs? If he’s so willing to wait on them, he’s probably Trying to secure a contract extension.

I wouldn't be surprised, based on who is the owner, that it's already in the works.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Sorry guys, I forgot that we are the only team with good prospects and that they will all pan out and be stars like Higgins, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Perezhogin, Hossa, Ward, Urquhart, Locke, Chipchura, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Fischer, Maxwell, and Valentenko. Cause those guys had us ranked #1 for almost a decade by hockeysfuture for prospect pool quality.

Oh, and every other team is getting older, but Drouin, Domi, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar still have untapped potential and room to grow.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Don't worry guys, I heard that all the teams in the east got much worse this year so we are fine.

The setup really is perfect for the Habs to get a shot at Lafreniere with the draft in Montreal. The East is a monster and Habs had everything go right last year, I'm hoping to see decent progress from our youngsters and ideally a high pick in 2020.

I'm not thrilled that Marc has carte blanche to lead the rebuild (again) but I tend to not get mad at things I have no control over. Hopefully are highly touted propsects pan out and we keep adding skill.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
NJ being crazily overrated right now, they're not making the playoffs next year and will have to end up trading Hall at the deadline. they added a washed up simmonds, hughes isn't cracking 50 pts, and i'm willing to bet neither does Gusev. After that they don't have much depth. Subban is a great addition but let's see if he's properly recovered from last season. He looked slow as hell and he was never fast to begin with.
It's a gamble over in NJ, no question. But a worthwhile gamble, IMO. I wouldn't have gone near Simmonds, but their other moves are bold and could fire them into the playoffs. Subban and Gusev could boom or bust, but the cost was minimal. Schneider started to look like the top-5 goalie he used to be in the second half of last season. Hall will hopefully be healthy. Hughes is a likely star. That's a whole lot of potential power added to their lineup, without losing anything. Gotta give them credit!

Reactions: HabsMD97

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's what I don't get.

The Devils, as of last year, certainly were not "one or two players away" from a cup. They had a worse season than we had, they didn't have that bright of a future ahead, and IMHO didn't have a core as young and as promising as ours. Still, their GM got out and signed Simmonds, Gusev, added Subban to the team, and drafted Jack Hughes 1st OV.

Not saying I'm a huge believer in Gusev, but it's certainly interesting to see that a GM like Shero is trying to actively improve his team. Meanwhile, we have fans like this who excuse anything the front office will do;

Why does it always have to be "one more year" in Montreal? Look at the Devils board. They are exstatic and can't wait the season to start. I personally couldn't give less of a crap. What did Bergevin give us to look forward to? Kinkaid? Chiarot? Cousins? Laval?

When the most exciting part of your team is watching the Laval Rocket, it's sad times.

To be honest, Hughes isnt just "a player" hes a franchise player.

Also, I dont mind what this marc character is suggesting, giving the team to the kids. Unfortunately, what he really means is double shifting Danault with Tatar and Gally, playig Petry as the number one, giving PP time to Armia, playing Poehling, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki 11 minutes a night and giving 15 minutes to Nate Thompson and Jordan Weal just to try and get by the 8th place just to finish short and not draft a top prospect.

Reactions: habsfan891

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So if I understand correctly, Ottawa's job in the NHL is to help others, preferably their immediate competitors, to improve their salary cap issues. Good job Sens...lol

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's a gamble over in NJ, no question. But a worthwhile gamble, IMO. I wouldn't have gone near Simmonds, but their other moves are bold and could fire them into the playoffs. Subban and Gusev could boom or bust, but the cost was minimal. Schneider started to look like the top-5 goalie he used to be in the second half of last season. Hall will hopefully be healthy. Hughes is a likely star. That's a whole lot of potential power added to their lineup, without losing anything. Gotta give them credit!

All 3 of their bets were very good. Epitome of low risk/high reward.
Exactly the type of moves we should have made this year (& the past two years) with our roster/cap situation.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sorry guys, I forgot that we are the only team with good prospects and that they will all pan out and be stars like Higgins, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Perezhogin, Hossa, Ward, Urquhart, Locke, Chipchura, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Fischer, Maxwell, and Valentenko. Cause those guys had us ranked #1 for almost a decade by hockeysfuture for prospect pool quality.

Oh, and every other team is getting older, but Drouin, Domi, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar still have untapped potential and room to grow.

Yeah, keep up man. See the light.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
So much for all the "Tampa will be in cap hell this offseason". Hate to say I told you, but I did tell you they would be fine.

Best part is that they still have tradeable assets in Johnson, Palat and Killorn to clear further salary.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The setup really is perfect for the Habs to get a shot at Lafreniere with the draft in Montreal. The East is a monster and Habs had everything go right last year, I'm hoping to see decent progress from our youngsters and ideally a high pick in 2020.

I'm not thrilled that Marc has carte blanche to lead the rebuild (again) but I tend to not get mad at things I have no control over. Hopefully are highly touted propsects pan out and we keep adding skill.

Unless Price goes down for an extended period, will be very hard for us to end up with a good lottery shot at #1.

Like last year, we're in that awful spot of being just mediocre...

Need a lot to go just right to squeeze into the PO's, or a lot to go just wrong to be a bottom-3 team.

MB is a master of mediocrity.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Man, I remember in 2007 we had Sergei, Andre, Grabovski, Latendresse, Weber, O'Byrne, Price, Halak, Streit, Chipchura, D'agostini all look like they were going to be the foundation of the club for years.

Good times.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't understand how we pass up on a Dman of Subban's caliber. I just don't get it. When we had the space and defense is a huge hole...it doesn't make the slightest sense. It's not like we're Toronto, completely strapped for cash and still need to sign a top forward..
But..ya...ego.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Man, I remember in 2007 we had Sergei, Andre, Grabovski, Latendresse, Weber, O'Byrne, Price, Halak, Streit, Chipchura, D'agostini all look like they were going to be the foundation of the club for years.

Good times.

Some will say that in NO WAY couldu you compare that to what we have now...by either not being here when it happened or having selective memory. I choose a mix of both.

Mind you, I do think we have a good one. BUt people who put the names of Fondstad, Olofsson, McShane, Evans, Hillis with the Romanov's, Brook and Kotkaniemi will have a hard awakening....Time will tell. But not everybody will make it. And that huge prospect pool of ours will be reduced to what, I hope, will be REAL top guns this time around. That's what we need. Not a huge one. A Productive one.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't understand how we pass up on a Dman of Subban's caliber. I just don't get it. When we had the space and defense is a huge hole...it doesn't make the slightest sense. It's not like we're Toronto, completely strapped for cash and still need to sign a top forward..
But..ya...ego.

Ego... Incompetence... Dangerous mix

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
All 3 of their bets were very good. Epitome of low risk/high reward.
Exactly the type of moves we should have made this year (& the past two years) with our roster/cap situation.
You're a bigger fan of Simmonds than I am, but even without him I agree that NJ had a fantastic summer. They didn't lose a roster player or even a 1st-round pick and somehow ended up adding Subban and Gusev. They probably even have enough cap space next year to sign Hall and Hischier. Impressive. But the biggest difference this season, by far, will be a healthy Hall and Schneider. With a little luck, Devils could leapfrog past Carolina, Columbus, NYI and finish top-3 in the Metro division.

And I'm calling Florida to finish 1st or 2nd in the Atlantic. It's going to be an entertaining season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Some will say that in NO WAY couldu you compare that to what we have now...by either not being here when it happened or having selective memory. I choose a mix of both.

Mind you, I do think we have a good one. BUt people who put the names of Fondstad, Olofsson, McShane, Evans, Hillis with the Romanov's, Brook and Kotkaniemi will have a hard awakening....Time will tell. But not everybody will make it. And that huge prospect pool of ours will be reduced to what, I hope, will be REAL top guns this time around. That's what we need. Not a huge one. A Productive one.

One of the missing ingredients we had then, and now, is the lack of elite talent ahead of the prospect pool...

That's an unheralded aspect of player development.

The peer influence is big, and when you have talent like Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Hedman, Fedorov, Yzerman, Ovechkin, Backstrom et. inhouse, it can have a significant impact on the development curve of prospects... Especially guys who aren't bonafide elite talents from day one.

Reactions: Whitesnake

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Subban maybe be a lot about Subban, so what? He still does more on the ice than Habs all of 6 D combined. Yes he is not a strong silent type like Shea Weber and his beard. He is just a type. A very good hockey player type that can move the puck... the type that Habs really need since they decided that Subban is not their type.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
New Jersey is going to be sick.

Imagine trading for Callahan’s deal and only moving up one round of picks because you wanted to offload someone who’s owed $3m this year lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But..ya...ego.
Looks like a typical bad relationship thing. I don't want to touch old rumours and who's to blame, but for whatever reason, it seems clear that the Subban/Habs chemistry went sour and ain't being repaired.

Reactions: Riggins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad