Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
agreed... while this Laffs rebuild hasn't yet had post-season success, they've assembled a damn competitive roster that is bursting with elite level talent. If they get Marner signed, and get decent goaltending, this could be the season they put it together (which would suck!).

Which was to be expected considering how young most of their core players were and how few playoffs experience they had. I mean Matthews was just 21. Marner was 21 too. Rielly was 24 which is kind of young for a number 1 dman if you aim a cup. Kapanen was 22. Nylander 22.

I'm not saying those kids will improve their regular season numbers but with more experience they will be better prepared for the playoffs. Whatever those kids will be able to gather enough experience to win before they run into real cap problems (which they did not have this summer despite what some kept saying) is questionable but it's a good lineup on paper no doubt in my mind.

I have a feeling the Laffs are waiting the beginning of the season to sign Marner like they did with Nylander last year. Not sure it's a good plan since he'll have to skip the training camp but well we did the same with pk and he had a great season. A guy like Marner should find a way to dominate no matter what. I very highly doubt he is going to accept any OS and he wont stay home the entire season. They will find a compromise i'm sure.

The belief that we'll replace the production we uselessly traded away internally rest on the idea that our young players will progress/improve... If that same logic holds for the Laffs, and they managed to upgrade their veteran talent in the offseason (by adding Barrie), they could be in store for a big year

Nah only our own kids can improve. Even if they are 24 they will go from 40-50 points to 70-80 points overnight in the span of just one summer. But nope all the other kids from other teams who are just 21 or 22 will never improve. I know it's sad for the fans of those teams but hey the true fans have spoken and the truth is immutable. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Resigned after a terrible summer. Oof

while i'd agree that individually, i'm not a big fan of most of their moves. As a whole, Vancouver on paper has to be one of the teams that has improved the most in the off-season...

Ferland, Miller up front
Myers, Benn on defense
Hughes likely makes the team and contributes right away...

that's 5 solid roster additions, each addressing specific need areas, and they didn't really lose anyone. If Green gets them integrated well enough, they should be able to improve on last season and quite likely get into the Playoff conversation in the West.

I'm not a fan of Benning, but he's probably just had his best summer thus far.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I never said otherwise. I made it pretty clear that I'm talking about good depth.

It remains to be seen how good the depth acquisitions are. Sakic added one top 6 forward. One that plays Center. He also added two more top 9 forwards.

And who will Kadri play with? Burakovsky and Donskoi? I seriously doubt he touches 30 goal/60 point territory playing with those two. Sakic needs to add real top 6 players to play with Kadri. Burakovsky/Nuke/Donskoi aren't top 6 players. I'm assuming the Avs know this and will break up their top line, which seems to be a gamble since it was the main reason why they were successful last year.

The Avs also had to break up that line in the playoffs because it wasn’t enough and they needed to spread the wealth. Going up against the better teams in the playoffs will expose you if you can’t create matchup issues. The Avs could not keep up with just the one line. There’s a significant difference between getting results in the regular vs winning a Stanley cup. As good as the three are, the surrounding cast wasn’t good enough. With the addition of Kadri, it now allows the Avs to create two duos and mix and match trying to find the best 3rd wheel for each duo. If they’re going to have success, that’s how they’ll have to do it. They couldn’t successfully do that last year because there was no 2nd guy to pair with when you broke up the first line.
The Avs are hoping that between Donskoi, Burakovsky, Jost and Compher, that they have enough options to compliment the 2 pairs.
How many teams legitimately have 6 top 6 forwards in their lineup?

Actually, YOU questioned me when I said that Barrie is the better player so yes, the question for you would be who is the better player. You are now backtracking and adding more factors to the comparison.

I’m not sure how to answer a question like this. How do I compare Barrie and Kadri as to which is a better player. Barrie is a better defensemen, Kadri a better Center. They have so many different skills that it’s hard to say for sure who is better. They’re both very good hockey players. There are far too many differences in their play.

Yeah I never disagreed with any of this. I only said that Barrie was the better player between the two. Nashville traded Jones for RyJo to address a serious need, that doesn't mean that they didn't give up the better player.

Better? More valuable? It’s hard to follow which one you’re trying to insinuate.
The term better hockey player is so much more loaded than you’re trying to make it seem.

I hope for the Avs sake that he isn't done. He still needs to add top 6 wingers to the team, but he does have plenty of time.

He’s not. The Avs have 14 forwards already with the addition of Nuke. 4 legitimate top 6 forwards, and then a smattering of top 9 forwards.
Your own example of Boston bruins have an extremely similar makeup.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Galchenyuk’s biggest problem was in between his ears

Bingo. Drinking binges have been well documented. Plus family member intrusiveness. Lots of off ice issues. If what was blurted out by Tremblay is accurate, he was allegedly on the NHL's substance abuse program. Just way too much baggage off ice and he couldn't seem to handle it and take charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and Tyson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does that mean he's hot or an idiot?

Probably both. And more.

Paul Marner comes across as the classic brash, highly meddling hockey dad. He apparently had the reputation before his son's current negotiation.

Paul Marner deleted his Twitter account within a day of this article going live as a result of the backlash and fans pleading to not ruin his son’s legacy in Toronto. (It must also be said that the Marners are infamous in the Ontario Hockey League and all their lower minor leagues for their ruthless, and at times problematic, support of their son).

Quick Strikes: Mitch Marner’s agent responds strongly to Auston Matthews’ new contract

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think people undervalue Barrie acquisition by the Laffs. Unless he falls down a cliff he'll make their defense significantly better. Kerfoot will do an okay job in their depth. They have a good team on paper and i think people should stop laughing at them. If Andersen makes the save they could go far. Once the season starts Horton and Clarkson both go on the LTIR and they should have enough money to sign Marner. If it doesn't work with what they have left of cap space they can always try to find a taker for Ceci.
Kerfoot may end up being the best player in the deal. Tough as nails, fast, has talent.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We've seen BGL make the call that MB was going to resort to an offer sheet on Free Agent frenzy and I don't think there were many pundits who did.

Given BGL's closeness to the Oil, this is very likely to happen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jack Hughes getting lambasted on Twitter for doing something that a lot of 18 year olds have done.

Just enter his name in the search engine.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Bingo. Drinking binges have been well documented. Plus family member intrusiveness. Lots of off ice issues. If what was blurted out by Tremblay is accurate, he was allegedly on the NHL's substance abuse program. Just way too much baggage off ice and he couldn't seem to handle it and take charge.
It’s too bad cause I really liked this player......the Domi trade was a good one and I sincerely wish Galchenyuk well

That 2012 draft is starting to look pretty bad lol

Yakupov
Murray
Galchenyuk
Reinhart

Worst top 4 of all time??

Of course it’s the year that we draft top 3......:facepalm:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We've seen BGL make the call that MB was going to resort to an offer sheet on Free Agent frenzy and I don't think there were many pundits who did.

Given BGL's closeness to the Oil, this is very likely to happen.

Weird fit for both sides...

Hard to see him get top-6 role at C (would they really play both RNH & Drai on the wing) & if he's the 3C the Oilers barely have legit top 6 W talent, their third line wingers are weak depth guys...

Plus, EDM in the winter....

Will be interesting to see if an additional explanation surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad