Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Lecavalier did that to us, twice. First, to get his first big 5x10m deal when he was going to be ufa; then to get one last deal with the Flyers.

Briere did it to us when he signed with the Flyers.
I'd love to see a big name francophone player embrace the spotlight and want to come here. Too often we are used by players to get better deals elsewhere, itll be nice for a player to actually want to come here and thrive on all the pressure and attention that will come.

Reactions: DAChampion

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Hi. Malkin was a top 3 NHL center from 2008 to 2018.

What about 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018?

I think you forgot about Crosby, Sedin, Thornton, Getzlaf, Toews, Mckinnon, McDavid, and Backstrom (varies every year who's ahead of Malkin in those years)

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'd love to see a big name francophone player embrace the spotlight and want to come here. Too often we are used by players to get better deals elsewhere, itll be nice for a player to actually want to come here and thrive on all the pressure and attention that will come.

Yeah, and while I get the fan base wanting such a player, I do as well, I hate it when we get pathetic.

Vinnie for example , could have hit UFA status while still in his prime years to come here. But he didnt want to play here, which is his absolute perogative. Though it is a shame that he and Briere both felt this way, I guessbthey did not wear Habs pjs.

It more than annoyed me when for about a decade fans kept going on about going for Vinnie, even as his age ticked towards 40. I mean for Gods sake the guy had 0 interest to play here and so many were fawning over a guy that had passed his prime years before. And he certainly had never met his expectations in my book.

Hey, maybe Dubois will want to come.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sure, but not in each particular year.

You are responding to a different question.

Particular years or particular months yield a lot of statistical fluctuations. That's what you're perseverating over.

Malkin was a generational talent for several years, abd the Pens would not have won their cups without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Particular years or particular months yield a lot of statistical fluctuations. That's what you're perseverating over.

Malkin was a generational talent for several years, abd the Pens would not have won their cups without him.
Max Domi was a franchise player on Tuesdays last season..scoring pace of 102pts. That's franchise material.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It is sad to realize that the most recent generational talents have all failed to reach their potentials. Many of them had extended health problems.

Crosby, frequently injured.
Malkin, frequently injured.
Ovechkin, was fat for a few years, I think that he was -40 one year.
McDavid, plays by himself.
Kariya, frequently injured.
Lindros, frequently injured.
Forsberg, frequently injured.
Lemieux, frequently injured.

Gretzky and Jagr are the two generational talents of my life whose careers were actually as great as they could have been. And even Jagr missed a few seasons.

PS Jagr did what he could without even having enough character to play for the Bergevin-managed Habs. Imagine what he could have done if he had not been a lazy Russian ;-)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It is sad to realize that the most recent generational talents have all failed to reach their potentials. Many of them had extended health problems.

Crosby, frequently injured.
Malkin, frequently injured.
Ovechkin, was fat for a few years, I think that he was -40 one year.
McDavid, plays by himself.
Kariya, frequently injured.
Lindros, frequently injured.
Forsberg, frequently injured.
Lemieux, frequently injured.

Gretzky and Jagr are the two generational talents of my life whose careers were actually as great as they could have been. And even Jagr missed a few seasons.

PS Jagr did what he could without even having enough character to play for the Bergevin-managed Habs. Imagine what he could have done if he had not been a lazy Russian ;-)

Crosby is just fine, everybody will miss time. He's been remarkably consistent.
Kariya a generational talent? lol

Reactions: jaffy27

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I'm not perseverating at anything, this is a discussion about definitions. Quite an important one when it comes to scouting. Those who tend to be hyperlative in their "potential definitions" (star-franchise-generational) of each prospects make it very hard to have fruitful discussion with.

Saying "Malkin was a generational talent for several years" it's a fait-accompli, not an argument. "Donald Trump is a great president" - Donald Trump

"abd the Pens would not have won their cups without him". Who knows. maybe it would have taken longer to build around Crosby, but I still think that it's more likely that a team with Crosby wins the cup vs. a team with Malkin (we've kinda played this one at the Olympics...)

What is a generational talent in your view? (To me a generational talent comes about once in a generation).

Guys like:
Howe
Lafleur
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Lidstrom
Neidermayer

We got a generational guy in 2003 and another one in 2005, then McDavid in 2015.

2-3 Generational guys playing: Ovechkin-Crosby-McDavid "They move the whole game of hockey forward"
12-15 Franchise-Altering talent. "They move franchises forward" Barkov, Doughty, Kane, McKinnon, Bergeron etc.
35-40 Stars. "They move their team forward in a given year" Stamkos, Getzlaf etc.
1st-liners/1st-pairings. "They move their line forward in a given year" Domi, Marchand etc.

One of the main way I analyze the strength of each draft is to look at the potential at the top with these definitions.

2019 draft: Kakko and Hughes: imo are stars potentials (they could become franchise if everything goes well, I'm just saying that imo it's more likely they end up stars).
2020 draft: Lafreniere (Franchise), Raymond (Franchise-Stars) - Byfield (Stars - Franchise)

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Crosby is just fine, everybody will miss time. He's been remarkably consistent.
Kariya a generational talent? lol

“Everybody” misses “time” at the peak of their ~1.6 ppg prime? What we missed out on from that year+ of injuries is heartbreaking

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not perseverating at anything, this is a discussion about definitions. Quite an important one when it comes to scouting. Those who tend to be hyperlative in their "potential definitions" (star-franchise-generational) of each prospects make it very hard to have fruitful discussion with.

Saying "Malkin was a generational talent for several years" it's a fait-accompli, not an argument. "Donald Trump is a great president" - Donald Trump

"abd the Pens would not have won their cups without him". Who knows. maybe it would have taken longer to build around Crosby, but I still think that it's more likely that a team with Crosby wins the cup vs. a team with Malkin (we've kinda played this one at the Olympics...)

What is a generational talent in your view? (To me a generational talent comes about once in a generation).

Guys like:
Howe
Lafleur
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Lidstrom
Neidermayer

We got a generational guy in 2003 and another one in 2005, then McDavid in 2015.

2-3 Generational guys playing: Ovechkin-Crosby-McDavid "They move the whole game of hockey forward"
12-15 Franchise-Altering talent. "They move franchises forward" Barkov, Doughty, Kane, McKinnon, Bergeron etc.
35-40 Stars. "They move their team forward in a given year" Stamkos, Getzlaf etc.
1st-liners/1st-pairings. "They move their line forward in a given year" Domi, Marchand etc.

One of the main way I analyze the strength of each draft is to look at the potential at the top with these definitions.

2019 draft: Kakko and Hughes: imo are stars potentials (they could become franchise if everything goes well, I'm just saying that imo it's more likely they end up stars).
2020 draft: Lafreniere (Franchise), Raymond (Franchise-Stars) - Byfield (Stars - Franchise)
Malkin is 100% in the very top tier of the "franchise altering talent" players and on the cusp of generational. Certainly a level above the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Doughty, Barkov, Kopitar, etc.

I'll get slaughtered for this but Patrice Bergeron is overrated. Some have him as a top 3 center in the league today.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Malkin is 100% in the very top tier of the "franchise altering talent" players and on the cusp of generational. Certainly a level above the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Doughty, Barkov, Kopitar, etc.

I'll get slaughtered for this but Patrice Bergeron is overrated. Some have him as a top 3 center in the league today.
Bergeron in his occasional beast mode years would be in the mix for top 5 C league wide, he's "just" a strong 1c nowadays.

Prime Malkin was top 5 C material every year, with his position in that lineup varying from 1 to 5. Better than Crosby at his absolute peak and before McDavid came onto the scene.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Love the new quotes from Dundon claiming he finds the hockey world strange. Saying the folks that work for him in his other businesses don’t have contracts.

Does he think he fan base is that stupid? That he key employees at Top Golf have no contractual obligations? No non solicits, non competes, terms of employment, compensation schedules? No one that works for him is in any legal relationship with his companies? His Top Golf ceo is not on any signed paper? Can pick up, leave tomorrow, take all his staff and launch a competitor?

Strange the way he is playing the Waddell situation, not sure I get the strategy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Any other team would've picked the same players at #1.
That's the funny thing. Both yak and puju were no brainier picks. Puju was a consensus 3 overall and in 2012 it was yak and the rest. Just unfortunate how it all worked out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad