Out of Town Thread Part XII: Final Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Could we lost Luke Richardson or Dominique Ducharme to Ottawa as next head coach ?
Maybe Kirk Muller gets an interview too?

They'll need a coach for a younger team with a positive approach. The next year or two could be painful.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can't see a whole lot of people itching to be their head coach. That job is career suicide.
Yeah but its always a 3 year deal, probably at 800k to start. I know its peanuts and peasant money, but I'm sure there will be takers.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If my choices are continue to be an assistant and get credit for helping turn shit around but none of the blame.. and an owner/GM who fires a guy and tells the team of rejects they need to play better?

I'll stay where I am.

Reactions: CDN24

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Benoit Groulx would be a perfect fit for Ottawa.
Sens board has an interesting suggestion...Jacques Martin.

I was living in Ottawa when he was first hired there. The team was even more of a mess then the current group. He didn't even have an assistant at first but he turned them around and a lot of young players developed under him.

Don't know if he would even be interested though, he has a pretty good gig in Pittsburgh.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

I was living in Ottawa when he was first hired there. The team was even more of a mess then the current group. He didn't even have an assistant at first but he turned them around and a lot of young players developed under him.

Don't know if he would even be interested though, he has a pretty good gig in Pittsburgh.
I don't see Martin at his age wanting to deal with that circus and that mess.

Reactions: Vachon23

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I doubt it. Us and the Oilers are the only teams who hire retreads.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Melnyk is a massive tool. He's aggravating because of his lack of any intelligence and seems like a spoiled baby.

At the owner's meeting someone else should deck him.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I doubt it. Us and the Oilers are the only teams who hire retreads.
In Martin's case, he's the most successful coach they ever had. Beyond that there are a lot of other coaches getting rehired around the league...Maurice, DeBoer, Tortorella, Trotz, Gallant, etc.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lmao, Pierre Dorion met with the players today to tell them their performance wasn't acceptable and ''no more excuses.''

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
In Martin's case, he's the most successful coach they ever had. Beyond that there are a lot of other coaches getting rehired around the league...Maurice, DeBoer, Tortorella, Trotz, Gallant, etc.
I'm talking about teams rehiring coaches that have already been there, which, on a fundamental business level, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Interesting comments in Friedman's 31 thoughts... Says that we were in on both Duchene and Eric Staal, but the price on Duchene was high and we needed permission from Staal and he didn't want to leave Minny. He also says that there's rumblings we turned down a trade for Romanov.

His most interesting point is that he's interested in seeing if we go after Duchene this summer. Seems to think we will.

31 Thoughts: How Golden Knights won the Mark Stone sweepstakes - Sportsnet.ca

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Interesting comments in Friedman's 31 thoughts... Says that we were in on both Duchene and Eric Staal, but the price on Duchene was high and we needed permission from Staal and he didn't want to leave Minny. He also says that there's rumblings we turned down a trade for Romanov.

His most interesting point is that he's interested in seeing if we go after Duchene this summer. Seems to think we will.

31 Thoughts: How Golden Knights won the Mark Stone sweepstakes - Sportsnet.ca

...it probably depends on how Columbus does in the playoffs, meaning whether Duchene will want to stay for the long haul or not. Interesting.

He might be our only hope in hell to beef up our assets without giving up any.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
...it probably depends on how Columbus does in the playoffs, meaning whether Duchene will want to stay for the long haul or not. Interesting.

He might be our only hope in hell to beef up our assets without giving up any.
He surprisingly said that Ottawa is a good contender to resign him as well. Which, to me, is weird because that franchise is a ****show and I don't know why you'd voluntarily put yourself through that.

I don't see him re-signing in Columbus because of their uncertainty as well. When it comes to most FAs, I know we don't really have a shot. But in this case, we have the need, the cap, and the "John-Tavares-Pajama" type story (Duchene was a huge Habs fan growing up) to get it done.

It just depends on MB opening his wallet. Which, up to this point, he hasn't done easily to guys not named Carey Price.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
He surprisingly said that Ottawa is a good contender to resign him as well. Which, to me, is weird because that franchise is a ****show and I don't know why you'd voluntarily put yourself through that.

I don't see him re-signing in Columbus because of their uncertainty as well. When it comes to most FAs, I know we don't really have a shot. But in this case, we have the need, the cap, and the "John-Tavares-Pajama" type story (Duchene was a huge Habs fan growing up) to get it done.

It just depends on MB opening his wallet. Which, up to this point, he hasn't done easily to guys not named Carey Price.

If they bring in one of both of Poehling or Brook to get minimal ice time during the first round (should MTL make it), maybe he/they play well enough to sweeten the pot for Duchene.

He'd get 1st line minutes here no doubt, so that's another plus. Can't see Domi or Danault above him in the lineup, and Kotka won't be ready for another 3-4 years for 1st line minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad