HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don’t think Berkshire thought he would be smeared as a Hamas lover and Jew Hater for his hockey rant. It isn’t reasonable for him to get that heat, but as you chaps say… perhaps he should know it comes with the territory.

Lesson: if you’re gonna do a Rick Mercer style rant, you better be as charismatic and well-spoken as Rick Mercer.
Had to look deeper to find those comments, but it seems Berkshire also fancied himself qualified as a political pundit. Not surprisingly, his comments from that rant were dragged into his hockey rant.

Personally, I consider both ends of that platform to be toxic – the authors who are emboldened to post misinformed crap to get clicks, and the people who feel it's their duty to judge and convict everything they dislike. It's a public toilet that never flushes.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Had to look deeper to find those comments, but it seems Berkshire also fancied himself qualified as a political pundit. Not surprisingly, his comments from that rant were dragged into his hockey rant.

Personally, I consider both ends of that platform to be toxic – the authors who are emboldened to post misinformed crap to get clicks, and the people who feel it's their duty to judge and convict everything they dislike. It's a public toilet that never flushes.
I would really like it if sports pundits and commentators stayed out of commenting on social and political issues entirely. I had to unfollow Berkshire, JFresh, Jeff Villette and a slew of other hockey accounts because they wouldn’t stop posting about not hockey things. The only one I didn’t unfollow is Arpon Basu and that’s only because I like to make fun of him too much.

Someone should tell them they are barely qualified to talk about sports, if at all, and they are certainly not qualified to pontificate about foreign affairs or domestic policy.

It’s one thing to make general appeals (“I’m so upset to hear this Event happened”) but these guys take it too far with the politics stuff.

On the other hand, hockey commentators are really low-tier. The whole commentary ecosystem is stuck in 2004. There is nothing interesting happening there. The conversations here are much more fresh and engaging than on social media or on TV.

Reactions: zeeto and Lshap

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Like it - can I use that line?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I feel bad for Andrew Berkshire, he tried to make a rant video a la Rick Mercer about the nature of privilege and how it's hidden from the public under the shroud of hard work gets you anywhere... and got it completely wrong tonally and in terms of presenting his argument... and now the biggest ghouls and sycophants have brigaded him calling him a terrorist-supporter, bully, bigot, and all sorts of things not worth repeating. He's definitely incapable of handling such heat or navigating through it. Of course the biggest pundits and names in hockey media have piled-on him too instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt or an iota of respect.

I think he's going to have a very tough time this week. Not sure if he'll have any career in hockey punditry going forward without some people coming to his aid and taking some heat off him. What a shame for him and his young family.
I don’t get why he offered that take. The guy scores 50 goals and AB goes on a rant? Just really weird.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don’t get why he offered that take. The guy scores 50 goals and AB goes on a rant? Just really weird.
Like I said, he tried to pull a Rick Mercer and make a soft-lib talking point about the hidden subtext under "hard work gets you anywhere" -- which is fair enough but he's not a political pundit so he really shouldn't have taken on that burden. He's also bad and charmless and it blew up in his face in spectacular fashion.

With that said, every hockey pundit and insider dunking on him is too much and goes to show for all the "progressive" bonafides the NHL community pretends to have, they're very closed-minded and uncharitable when anybody cuts against the grain. And too few people have shut down the race-baiters and politicizers who smeared Berkshire and snitch-tagged his (incidentally FORMER) employer in order to harm his livelihood.

It's unlikely Berkshire can ever get a MSM job again, not that he ever deserved one, but the whole episode makes everybody look bad.

And for the record, Hyman's dad buying half of the teams in the GTHL and then the ISS in Hyman's draft year is insane levels of Hockey Dad and should be scrutinized in and of itself. Hyman did nothing wrong, good for him for potting 50 or whatever.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Hi, I’m a comedian/podcast host/neuroscientist/grifter that has never set foot in your country hockey blogger. Here's the scoop on the social sciences, history, politics, and the economy.

• Love
Reactions: Heffyhoof

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I don’t think Berkshire thought he would be smeared as a Hamas lover and Jew Hater for his hockey rant. It isn’t reasonable for him to get that heat, but as you chaps say… perhaps he should know it comes with the territory.

Lesson: if you’re gonna do a Rick Mercer style rant, you better be as charismatic and well-spoken as Rick Mercer.
Andrew Berkshire is an annoying, preachy idiot, always has been. Hopefully his career is over.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad