HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lehkonen and Drouin are just a MacKinnon away from being first liners.
Everyone is a BigMac away from being a 1st line player except maybe for the power donkey.

Yeah generational talents can help average players look way better than they really are.
Not all of them though. You need to find the right average player who complement the generational talent you have. Hyman is perfect for McDavid. And Lehkonen fits BigMac very well too.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A better comparison for Hyman would be Kevin Stevens.
How about Warren Young who became a one season 40 goal scorer playing with super Mario. He then was signed I think by Detroit and went back to being a marginal player the next season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
At this point he is a borderline NHL player playing his way to a buy out. Ownership of Carolina thought they were screwing the Habs over...they aren't getting the last laugh.
Habs are not getting the last laugh either. A 3rd overall pick will become probably a 2nd round pick after we trade Dvorak at next deadline (maybe worse if he's injured again).

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Panic move by Bergevin
I wanted to create yet another thread about Bergevin.
I was thinking about what Boston does to continue to be relevant.

I honestly believe at this point, he knew he was on his way out or in his mind had decided in some way that he wanted out.
The pandemic exacerbated these intentions. He was a shut in after the cup run. He ran the franchise like an omertà and was never available nor was he doing any outreach with the players - everyone who was in Montreal's bar scene knew Price had a drinking problem. So with that context in mind consider this:

He finally had his blue print in place for the covid cup. You don't get to the fourth round via fluke. He had all the ingredients for the first time in a decade. 1) a legit backup
2) a nice blend of vets and young players
3) depth at C
4) a legit 4th line with size.

what does he do?
-knowing Price was done, doesn't identify a partner to platoon with Allen.
-let's not one BUT two C's walk - his ego and anger getting in the way of both. Obliterating a season in which we finally had C depth. He dismantles one of the best 5 on 5 lines in the NHL; rewards the broken winger with MORE money than the C on that line who was the clear play-driver and lets the other winger walk for free.
-He lets a 3rd over all go for picks, instead of keeping him and figure out a way to get the best out of him, and panic trades for a C who is not any better and older than KK. Yes I'm aware the kid is an entitled idiot, but letting him walk was not the right play imo. Bergevin and his staff had no talent or vision for player development.
And Corey Perry who was one of the engines of the team. A lifelong Habs fan who relished playing here. A beloved, no nonsense vet who woke up Armia and could've served as a bridge with the likes of Daneault replacing broken Price and Weber. He doesn't give perry the second year and lets him walk over an extra, pithy million. Insane.

Habs would've had Daneault, Evans, KK and Suzuki at C.
They would've potentially had Struble, Harris, Mailloux, Xhekaj and Guhle all coming.
Caufield is there. Toffoli is there.
Instead a disaster ensued, a textbook in how not to manage a team. A smart, prescient GM could've built something at that moment without having to tear it down.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what's happening, I'm simply thinking about how a team like Boston, can identifying the right vets, build good team culture and find gems with later picks to remain perpetually competitive..
Bergevin should never GM again. A textbook of complete incompetency.

rant over

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wanted to create yet another thread about Bergevin.
I was thinking about what Boston does to continue to be relevant.

I honestly believe at this point, he knew he was on his way out or in his mind had decided in some way that he wanted out.
The pandemic exacerbated these intentions. He was a shut in after the cup run. He ran the franchise like an omertà and was never available nor was he doing any outreach with the players - everyone who was in Montreal's bar scene knew Price had a drinking problem. So with that context in mind consider this:

He finally had his blue print in place for the covid cup. You don't get to the fourth round via fluke. He had all the ingredients for the first time in a decade. 1) a legit backup
2) a nice blend of vets and young players
3) depth at C
4) a legit 4th line with size.

what does he do?
-knowing Price was done, doesn't identify a partner to platoon with Allen.
-let's not one BUT two C's walk - his ego and anger getting in the way of both. Obliterating a season in which we finally had C depth. He dismantles one of the best 5 on 5 lines in the NHL; rewards the broken winger with MORE money than the C on that line who was the clear play-driver and lets the other winger walk for free.
-He lets a 3rd over all go for picks, instead of keeping him and figure out a way to get the best out of him, and panic trades for a C who is not any better and older than KK. Yes I'm aware the kid is an entitled idiot, but letting him walk was not the right play imo. Bergevin and his staff had no talent or vision for player development.
And Corey Perry who was one of the engines of the team. A lifelong Habs fan who relished playing here. A beloved, no nonsense vet who woke up Armia and could've served as a bridge with the likes of Daneault replacing broken Price and Weber. He doesn't give perry the second year and lets him walk over an extra, pithy million. Insane.

Habs would've had Daneault, Evans, KK and Suzuki at C.
They would've potentially had Struble, Harris, Mailloux, Xhekaj and Guhle all coming.
Caufield is there. Toffoli is there.
Instead a disaster ensued, a textbook in how not to manage a team. A smart, prescient GM could've built something at that moment without having to tear it down.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what's happening, I'm simply thinking about how a team like Boston, can identifying the right vets, build good team culture and find gems with later picks to remain perpetually competitive..
Bergevin should never GM again. A textbook in complete incompetency.

rant over
Great rant! I couldn't have said it better

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
They're peaking at the perfect time, it's definitely possible.

MacKinnon has been out of this world this year. Guy is carrying the mail for his team as Makar hasn't been as good in his own end and Rantanen has had a lot of moments where he's floating. Nichushkin and Toews are still really good, but I don't find this is the team that won the cup. Who knows though, MacKinnon and Makar are so damn talented that you can never count them out. I'm hesitating between Kucherov and MacKinnon for MVP for this year.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I wanted to watch some Boston and Florida, but Jack Edwards is more painful then ever. Did he have a stroke or something?

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad