HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Less than a minute into the game and the Islanders already winning 1-0.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't watch the Oilers very often but for those of you that do, I have a question. I know that McDavid and Draisaitl end up with a bazillion points but do they play any sort of 200-foot game? It's tough to win in the NHL if everyone isn't trying to prevent goals against and is mainly focused on scoring. McDavid is the captain and shouldn't he show commitment to being better at both ends of the ice?(Not sure if he does or not)
They always have the puck.

Except this year.

McDavid at least tries, but he's average defensively. The big issue is Draisaitl. He can be extremely lazy coming back. Probably why they keep moving him to wing. His effort level can really wane on the defensive side of the puck.
I remember Gretz used to just set at the blueline waiting to be sprung. In his own zone he just was... vacant. :laugh:

But it didn't matter. The other team knew he was sitting there waiting.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't watch the Oilers very often but for those of you that do, I have a question. I know that McDavid and Draisaitl end up with a bazillion points but do they play any sort of 200-foot game? It's tough to win in the NHL if everyone isn't trying to prevent goals against and is mainly focused on scoring. McDavid is the captain and shouldn't he show commitment to being better at both ends of the ice?(Not sure if he does or not)

Those issues are overblown. What hits you when you watch the Oilers is just how dominating McDavid is. There's no legitimate reason why the Oilers haven't been the team to be in the last 3-4 years outside of incredible incompetence from management and the drafting team. They've made blunder upon blunder.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

I have no idea how the stat look like this season but...

For age, the Oilers were statically the best team in the NHL when McDavid was on the ice and bottom-5 when he wasn't. (It's not like McDavid is the best defensively but he's not floating around either, it's just that he outscore the opposition by such margin that it absolutely make up for any kind of "deficiency" in the d-zone.)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Wow Edmonton is a train wreck. I didn't realize they were this bad
They are imploding. The Oilers management seems to believe that McDavid (offense) alone will win them a Stanley Cup so they have done everything to please him over the years instead of building a balanced winning roster. And now the players had enough.

Holland made the cap totally fubar and they will have to pay to clean that up so they can acquire the right pieces. If they even know what the right pieces are, because their scouting (both pro and amateur) has been lackluster for years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They are imploding. The Oilers management seems to believe that McDavid (offense) alone will win them a Stanley Cup so they have done everything to please him over the years instead of building a balanced winning roster. And now the players had enough.

Holland made the cap totally fubar and they will have to pay to clean that up so they can acquire the right pieces. If they even know what the right pieces are, because their scouting (both pro and amateur) has been lackluster for years.
I don’t know what’s worse, having two superstar centers and being cap strung or watching as your superstar goalie gets crushed as you dismantle the team with ten mil in OPEN cap space.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
As much as I hate to say it, my guess is if he leaves Edmonton he's going to go home to the Leafs. Tavares' contract expires after the 2024-25 season, freeing up $11 million. Prime McDavid with Marner and Matthews. If you thought McDrai was dangerous just wait.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As much as I hate to say it, my guess is if he leaves Edmonton he's going to go home to the Leafs. Tavares' contract expires after the 2024-25 season, freeing up $11 million. Prime McDavid with Marner and Matthews. If you thought McDrai was dangerous just wait.
That could absolutely happen.

By that time though Lane Hutson will be the best player in the league though so…

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

You would think he wouldn't turn around and join another team with all the exact same problems as Edmonton.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just for fun if Mcdavid were to go UFA , how much would you guys give him to join us
McDavid will get close to maximum allowable per CBA which is 20% of cap.

Since he isn’t a permanent US resident, his bonus will get taxed as revenue in Canada & since Alberta has significantly lower tax than other provinces he’ll sign w Edm or dare I say Cgy if he remains in Canada.

$ wise, his potential earning in Alberta will be similar to even zero state tax locales in US - so if he bolts for America $ will not be the deciding factor

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Drouin has nore more goals than Josh Anderson

LMAOOOOOOOOO
LOL.............Check that stat at the end of the season!!

Anderson has struggled, but has had more chances than a ton of players.

Drouin and his cronies were telling us he would get 70 pts with Mackinnon............he is currently on pace for 18 pts so they just miffed a little on that one!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad