Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Rangers had a better record than the Canadiens this year. With a much younger team.

I think seravelli was reporting that ownership canned the GM and president because they hadn't moved out of the rebuild and into contention quick enough.

After the management is cleaned out, the coach becomes a lameduck, just waiting to be put out of its misery, so no surprise with this firing.

I do feel like rangers management got the short end from ownership though. Sure they had a ton of luck along the way, including an unexpected lottery win, but they worked hard to put the Rangers in a good spot moving forward, but even with the best intentions, there just never seems to be enough patience in a place like New York to see the rebuild through, and now, someone else will reap the benefits of what management was able to construct. I'd be pretty bitter about it, to be honest, because it hasn't even taken that long for them to revamp the roster.

Someone is about to inherit a great situation though.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I just realized that Jacques Martin is one of the assistant coaches fired by NYR.

How tempted are the Habs going to be to hire him this summer???

I don't expect Richardson to come back. Well I hope he's not.

Reactions: overlords

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I just realized that Jacques Martin is one of the assistant coaches fired by NYR.

[pick anyone] can't be worst than richardson

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Yep. And that's why I think we really have to promote him.

Would love to have him developing younger players but if we have to promote him to keep him, so be it.
Or pay him. I don't know what Dom and Joel are getting paid, but Brind'Amour (who is going to get a lot of Jack Adams consideration) is about to sign at 1.8M/yr (per Friedman) while we paid Claude 5M/yr. Guessing the guys we have now are well below Claude's figure. If you want to give Dom a full season with training camp before cutting bait, but don't want to lose Bouchard, give JB 1M or 1.5M to stay in Laval with a plan to either make him the coach in Montreal or let him go elsewhere in 2-3 years time.

I know, Covid and so forth, and it's easy for me to spend Geoff's money, but the Habs are still one of the richest teams around. Maybe Molson could parlay those $14 beers into something useful for the franchise.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

You can tell almost everyone has opted out of this competition after the type of season they had.

Canada will also be a lower-tier roster.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

Martin is a very very good assistant coach and i personally would love to have him on the staff in that position

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Martin is a very very good assistant coach and i personally would love to have him on the staff in that position

I wonder though, has a former head coach ever returned to the same team as an assistant coach?

Guessing it may have happened, but I suspect it's quite rare for obvious reasons

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

images

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I hope he has a good career. Always thought he could be a decent 3rd pairing guy. Playing him on the first was just stupid. Another player we mismanaged and brought in too early.

He's actually been killing it on Ottawa's top-4 since Chabot went down. Playing with Zaitsev.

Regardless, he has clear top-4 upside. He was the victim of Montreal's two biggest organization weaknesses:

1) they won't let rookies/young players make mistakes (see: basically every young player to come through the past 9 years); and
2) they have no idea how to evaluate D-men.

The rushing of players is a problem too, but if you're going to rush them to the show, then you have to at least let them play and be confident in their role/spot in the lineup.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's actually been killing it on Ottawa's top-4 since Chabot went down. Playing with Zaitsev.

Regardless, he has clear top-4 upside. He was the victim of Montreal's two biggest organization weaknesses:

1) they won't let rookies/young players make mistakes (see: basically every young player to come through the past 9 years); and

The rushing of players is a problem too, but if you're going to rush them to the show, then you have to at least let them play and be confident in their role/spot in the lineup.
Killing it with 2 points in 14 games...for an offensive player. He is what he is. He can skate, that's about it.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I still think he's a bottom pair but agree with your points here.

Reactions: montreal

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Killing it with 2 points in 14 games...for an offensive player. He is what he is. He can skate, that's about it.

See my point number 2. This obsession with point production with D-men is part of that complete misunderstanding what makes D-men good.

What Mete has done well in Ottawa (and did well here) was play man-on-man D and transition the puck. He's never going to be a major point producer, but it doesn't matter. Teams generally outchance and outscore their opponents when he's on the ice. And his hockey IQ and puck-management play a role. He's not going to be first pair D-man, but he does quite a lot well and can easily slot into the top-4. At 22.

But this team believes if a D-man doesn't score, they better be big and physical. And many fans do too.

The most important skills a modern NHL D-man needs to great are, in-order:

1) great hockey IQ;
2) being able to manage/move the puck well; and
3) skate well.

Mete has all of that.

Players like Toews and Weegar don't come out of nowhere. But this management group doesn't really care. The D-core they have right now is the one they've always wanted since the Subban-Weber trade.

I'm just hoping they'll be more careful when trying to improve Romanov's defensive game.

I still think he's a bottom pair but agree with your points here.

That's fine. I generally think any D that isn't viewed as top-2/3 (so a 4/6 D) is generally a bottom pair D-man. I'd just rather Montreal had kept 0n that could help address their very obvious weaknesses.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
See my point number 2. This obsession with point production with D-men is part of that complete misunderstanding what makes D-men good.

What Mete has done well in Ottawa (and did well here) was play man-on-man D and transition the puck. He's never going to be a major point producer, but it doesn't matter. Teams generally outchance and outscore their opponents when he's on the ice. And his hockey IQ and puck-management play a role. He's not going to be first pair D-man, but he does quite a lot well and can easily slot into the top-4. At 22.

But this team believes if a D-man doesn't score, they better be big and physical. And many fans do too.

The most important skills a modern NHL D-man needs to great are, in-order:

1) great hockey IQ;
2) being able to manage/move the puck well; and
3) skate well.

Mete has all of that.

Players like Toews and Weegar don't come out of nowhere. But this management group doesn't really care. The D-core they have right now is the one they've always wanted since the Subban-Weber trade.

I'm just hoping they'll be more careful when trying to improve Romanov's defensive game.

That's fine. I generally think any D that isn't viewed as top-2/3 (so a 4/6 D) is generally a bottom pair D-man. I'd just rather Montreal had kept 0n that could help address their very obvious weaknesses.
His job was to put up points though, that's his role because he's weak defensively. Seems like a good kid but I can't see him being in the league very long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad