Out Of Town Scoreboard XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That Thornton comment is hilarious. Exactly what Doug Wilson said, he takes the stress and lashes out at people, is exactly what he did.

Did Thornton say it as a joke? Or is it just irony?

Almost certainly irony. But phenomenal observation.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sharks Joe Thornton to GM Wilson: 'Doug just needs to shut his mouth'

Thornton added: "All I've got to say is I've been here every day working hard. I haven't taken a sabbatical. He just needs to stop lying, shut his mouth."

Players did not want to get in the middle of the dispute between Thornton and Wilson. But they said privately that Thornton remains a popular figure in the room and has their support.

drama is nice. interesting to see how this folds.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe the Sharks players, under Thornton's banner, can "storm the bastille" that is Doug Wilson's office and instate a kind of communist rule whereby all decisions are made by a collective body. HF would explode.

What would make HF explode more, though, would be the Sharks making the playoffs in their current state. That would be hilarious.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Maybe the Sharks players, under Thornton's banner, can "storm the bastille" that is Doug Wilson's office and instate a kind of communist rule whereby all decisions are made by a collective body. HF would explode.

What would make HF explode more, though, would be the Sharks making the playoffs in their current state. That would be hilarious.

no, winning the cup. playoffs are still possible and sharks have the second longest current PO streak. winning the cup now would be historical and epic.

not happening though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
just shows what kind of choker thornton is. can't handle the pressure at all and not a leader. just trying to deflect the blame on wilson.

I don't believe this at all. If anything it shows just how bad of a GM Doug Wlison is. I have never seen an organization, under the same GM, strip two players of their captaincy at separate times, yet still keep those players around. I can only think of one time, Mike Modano being stripped in favour of Brendan Morrow. But I can't remember two times under the same GM.

Is it Thornton's fault that Wilson decided to have a genius idea and move Burns back to D when he was clearly better as a forward? Is it Thornton's fault that other players on the team struggle to produce, but the players on his line almost always produce? Is it Thornton's fault that Wilson hasn't figured the goaltending situation out and has basically alienated Antti Niemi? Jumbo Joe gets far too much undeserved flak.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't believe this at all. If anything it shows just how bad of a GM Doug Wlison is. I have never seen an organization, under the same GM, strip two players of their captaincy at separate times, yet still keep those players around. I can only think of one time, Mike Modano being stripped in favour of Brendan Morrow. But I can't remember two times under the same GM.

Is it Thornton's fault that Wilson decided to have a genius idea and move Burns back to D when he was clearly better as a forward? Is it Thornton's fault that other players on the team struggle to produce, but the players on his line almost always produce? Is it Thornton's fault that Wilson hasn't figured the goaltending situation out and has basically alienated Antti Niemi? Jumbo Joe gets far too much undeserved flak.

sarcasm :).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Belleville Bulls and Hamilton Bulldogs are both pretty classic franchises, I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed fans.

But then there's a lot of happy fans like me! :handclap:

Hey kento do you think they will still be called the IceCaps but get new jerseys?

They will 100% still be called the IceCaps. Not sure about jerseys. I'm sure they'd like to change them to match the farm team but Re-branding costs a lot and i'm not so sure they want to do that for a team who will only be around for 2 years. It will be strange to keep the colours of another NHL team though. One possibility is that they create their own colour scheme, kind of like what Portland has going for the Pirates. They've been the farm of a few NHL teams but have kept the same colours for a while.

I mocked up the current IceCaps logo and jersey using habs colours and this is what I came up with just for fun.

icehabs.jpg
Jersey.jpg

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Yeah, he's got 100P in 132 games in the playoffs. Very few players have those kind of numbers. Yeah he doesn't elevate his game in the playoffs but I really don't think he chokes either. Unfortunately he has always been the one under the spotlight though.

I've never really liked Thornton, mostly because I've always hated the Sharks, but it will be nice to see him go to a team and not be THE guy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You got me hook, line and sinker :laugh:

i don't think burns at F is better long-term though. for playoff run (if sharks had better depth on D), sure but not full season. his play style is too demanding and grueling, leads him being injured and fatigued like last season. not exactly young player anymore either.

thornton has had his share of bad PO-performances and there are some things he's never figured out or has refused to adjust but sharks have basically never had great depth and D.

last offseason they had very good core and lot of cap space. but they missed their opportunity.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i don't think burns at F is better long-term though. for playoff run (if sharks had better depth on D), sure but not full season. his play style is too demanding and grueling, leads him being injured and fatigued like last season. not exactly young player anymore either.

thornton has had his share of bad PO-performances and there are some things he's never figured out or has refused to adjust but sharks have basically never had great depth and D.

last offseason they had very good core and lot of cap space. but they missed their opportunity.

I just think that Burns is basically Subban/Doughty without actually understanding the defensive aspect of the game very well, and that's terrifying if I'm a Sharks fan because that's your #2 defenseman. He played well as a forward last season but yes, he did look fatigued at the end.

They missed their chance to rebuild. Wilson says he's in a rebuild now - how? You go out and hand the two guys you probably want to move more than anything else 3 year contracts with full NMC's? So you're going to rebuild by having to trade Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, and Burns? Great strategy there, Mr. Wilson. He's got no idea what he's doing and if I'm the owner in San Jose I'm firing this guy tomorrow. Let a different person come in and analyze the team and take over the draft/free agency because Wilson is clueless.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I just think that Burns is basically Subban/Doughty without actually understanding the defensive aspect of the game very well, and that's terrifying if I'm a Sharks fan because that's your #2 defenseman. He played well as a forward last season but yes, he did look fatigued at the end.

They missed their chance to rebuild. Wilson says he's in a rebuild now - how? You go out and hand the two guys you probably want to move more than anything else 3 year contracts with full NMC's? So you're going to rebuild by having to trade Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, and Burns? Great strategy there, Mr. Wilson. He's got no idea what he's doing and if I'm the owner in San Jose I'm firing this guy tomorrow. Let a different person come in and analyze the team and take over the draft/free agency because Wilson is clueless.

i think the message might have come from the owner to go this route. wilson has his flaws but he's a smart guy imo.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 15m15 minutes ago
Todd MacLellan is in middle of Jumbo/Wilson spat. Wilson wanted Pavelski captain last fall, coach has resisted.

I have no idea how Wilson is still that team's GM. He hasn't been able to get that team to do anything and then he stripped Thornton of the C and they responded by likely missing the playoffs.

Almost feels like Wilson said this knowing it'd be leaked and it'd make Joe look bad again and accept a trade out of town. That pretty much seemed like their intention in the first place last summer.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Two shorthanded goals. What a joke. Mainboard probably has a thread up.

*checks*

Yep. Two!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ahh the never ending optimism. People still scoreboard watching like the Avs still have a chance at getting into playoffs.

Take it from me, it's a lot easier to just accept the fact that the season is over, it's been over for a while too, should be enough time to get over it.

I'm looking forward to off season to see if Avs will do anything to actually improve the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad