GDT: Out of Town Playoff Thread VI

Juliet Papa Golf

Jun 24, 2013
Stick tap to Chicago - closest thing to a dynasty we will see in the cap era.

Boston remains the last Eastern team to win Stanley

So that's four Stanley cups in a row for the western conference, all of which have been wrapped up in six games or less.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I have a roommate from Chicago and she is the worst Hawks bandwagoner in the history of ever.

She started watching after 2010
Her favorite player is Toews
She watched approximately 1 regular season game
She can name Toews, Hossa, Kane, Crawford, Keith, Hjalmmersson and Saad
She though Teuvo Teravainen was someone they just traded for when she saw him playing
Owns a Toews jersey
Is constantly telling me how good "her" team is

If I didn't live with her I wouldn't care they won I swear to god. I didn't see her last night but i might kill myself today. I might.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have a roommate from Chicago and she is the worst Hawks bandwagoner in the history of ever.

She started watching after 2010
Her favorite player is Toews
She watched approximately 1 regular season game
She can name Toews, Hossa, Kane, Crawford, Keith, Hjalmmersson and Saad
She though Teuvo Teravainen was someone they just traded for when she saw him playing
Owns a Toews jersey
Is constantly telling me how good "her" team is

If I didn't live with her I wouldn't care they won I swear to god. I didn't see her last night but i might kill myself today. I might.

Just tell them their dynasty is built on tanking or being horrible for a decade. :laugh: Thats what I say to my Hawks friend who doesn't even acknowledge David Krejci plays in the NHL.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
You can't play any game to beat the Hawks. They adapt so well to the team they are playing.

Ducks tried to run them out of the building they won. Tampa threw a speed game at them and still won. They are a dynasty and as complete as a team can get.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
How exactly does a team in cap hell continue to win Cups? I was told that this does not happen.

constantly infusing the roster with talented youth/elc players who are productive like Saad/Teravainen/etc . good drafting and prospect development. also they are a huge draw to elc FA like Panarin, possibly Reilly etc. They are going to probably trade Sharp, and they get to replace him with the KHL stud for free. Reilly probably will sign with them and bolster the 3rd pairing. they are just going to continue to be great

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
They've also had some young players on their ELC's like Saad, Teravainen, Shaw, etc. Pays off to have some quality scouts. Wish we had that during the better part of the Chiarelli era.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
constantly infusing the roster with talented youth/elc players who are productive like Saad/Teravainen/etc . good drafting and prospect development. also they are a huge draw to elc FA like Panarin, possibly Reilly etc. They are going to probably trade Sharp, and they get to replace him with the KHL stud for free. Reilly probably will sign with them and bolster the 3rd pairing. they are just going to continue to be great

They trade their role players (Chris Kelly) and keep their core intact.

Yep.

They don't spend on role players, Bickell aside.

Master retooling after the 2010 title...Tremendous drafting...Plus their big guns show up generally.... then they get Richards for 2 mil with NO CARRYOVER (iirc) and make a bold deal for Vermette (who is laughing now?)

Sharp will be dealt I'm sure...Room will be made and they will keep on firing on all cylinders I'm sure..

Remember as well they have two CF losses in there too? Atleast one I know of, vs LA..would have won the Cup last year too.

Congrats to a great team and great fan base.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yep.

They don't spend on role players, Bickell aside.

Master retooling after the 2010 title...Tremendous drafting...Plus their big guns show up generally.... then they get Richards for 2 mil with NO CARRYOVER (iirc) and make a bold deal for Vermette (who is laughing now?)

Sharp will be dealt I'm sure...Room will be made and they will keep on firing on all cylinders I'm sure..

Remember as well they have two CF losses in there too? Atleast one I know of, vs LA..would have won the Cup last year too.

Congrats to a great team and great fan base.

Bickel and Sharp will be dealt,. That's about 10 million right there. Also they signed a free agent from the KHL named Artemi Panarin, he was 5th in league scoring last year and a PPG player in the playoffs and for Russia at 812k. I think if he works out the Hawks will be fine.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
So the cup champions the last 6 years have been:

Chicago
Boston
LA
Chicago
LA
Chicago

One of those things is not like the other. :laugh:

Unbelievable that its been 2 teams to win 5 of the last 6 cups.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

Chicago
Boston
LA
Chicago
LA
Chicago

amazing right. watch LA dominate this coming season. missed the playoffs and are gonna be pissed off. WCF is a good bet at minimum for them. who will they play? Chicago :laugh:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Chicago
Boston
LA
Chicago
LA
Chicago

Cup Finals the past 6 years:

3-Chicago (won them all)
2-LA (won them all)
2-Boston (1-1)
1-Canucks (0-1)
1-Flyers (0-1)
1-NJ (0-1)
1-TB (0-1)
1-NYR (0-1)
0-22 other teams

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Bettman called the Haws a dynasty, but I think 3 in 6 years just falls short. If they could get 4 in 7 years I think that's acceptable to call them a dynasty.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Bettman called the Haws a dynasty, but I think 3 in 6 years just falls short. If they could get 4 in 7 years I think that's acceptable to call them a dynasty.

In a non-capped era, I'd say no, not a dynasty. But in this cap era, they absolutely are. All the more difficult to keep a competitive team out there, and they continued to do it over a long stretch of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad