GDT: Out of Town Playoff Thread VI

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
You can't play any game to beat the Hawks. They adapt so well to the team they are playing.

Ducks tried to run them out of the building they won. Tampa threw a speed game at them and still won. They are a dynasty and as complete as a team can get.
LA is the only team that's been capable

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
It still baffles me how much Babcock is going to be paid compared to Joel Quenneville.
And even when JQ's contract is up I still can't see him getting even half of what Babcock is being given.

Considering what incompetent coaches like Julien, Bylsma, McLellan are getting paid, he's getting at least 4m.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
They've also had some young players on their ELC's like Saad, Teravainen, Shaw, etc. Pays off to have some quality scouts. Wish we had that during the better part of the Chiarelli era.

This is what truly makes them elite with getting big contributions from these type of players. and should continue to happen as they keep getting the best college UFAs with some a real solid prospect pool. Only way to stay releveant year over year like they have.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How exactly does a team in cap hell continue to win Cups? I was told that this does not happen.

General manager Stan Bowman has rebuilt two Cup teams after winning in 2010. Now he’s in charge of doing it a third time. On Monday, Bowman allowed himself a few minutes to pump the Cup a few times before thinking yet again about his offseason task.

“It’s a challenge,†Bowman said. “It’s the system we all play under. We’ve got to find a way to make it work. It certainly is a credit to our leadership group on the team. Also my staff. They’ve done a fantastic job drafting and developing players. The only way you make it work in this system is if you can have young players that you draft and develop.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...stanley-cup/ISsL8VmnwgDwrRyzVg6EGK/story.html

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If they trade Sharp to MON or FLA for picks like rumored they could fit...

Kruger, Teravainen, Hartman, Pokka, and TVR if they want.

I and many Hawk fans are actually hoping Sharp gets for Trocheck

Hawks could use a young C (Depth is lacking there) and he played Jr's with Saad for 1 year

Saad-Trocheck-Kane would potentially be a real nice 2nd line

MadderBum*

General manager Stan Bowman has rebuilt two Cup teams after winning in 2010. Now he’s in charge of doing it a third time. On Monday, Bowman allowed himself a few minutes to pump the Cup a few times before thinking yet again about his offseason task.

“It’s a challenge,†Bowman said. “It’s the system we all play under. We’ve got to find a way to make it work. It certainly is a credit to our leadership group on the team. Also my staff. They’ve done a fantastic job drafting and developing players. The only way you make it work in this system is if you can have young players that you draft and develop.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...stanley-cup/ISsL8VmnwgDwrRyzVg6EGK/story.html

Bowman was not afraid to give Marian Hossa the deal he did...PC was..that's why Bowman is the best and PC is a joke..I know he didn't have a great run this yr personally but aside from their big 3 he was the lynchpin that started this run...wonder if he came here would we have won more than 1 cup with our core if Hossa was a part of it.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
How many awful coaches have the Avalanche been through since firing, or whatever they did with JQ?

One of my Blues fan friends has pointed out that ex-Blues coaches now have *18* Cups after leaving St. Louis - Bowman, obviously, has most of those, but Quenneville, Al Arbour & Jacques Demers are also on that list.

... and they traded Ben Bishop to keep Brian Elliott and Jake Allen.

MadderBum*

One of my Blues fan friends has pointed out that ex-Blues coaches now have *18* Cups after leaving St. Louis - Bowman, obviously, has most of those, but Quenneville, Al Arbour & Jacques Demers are also on that list.

... and they traded Ben Bishop to keep Brian Elliott and Jake Allen.

wow...some heavy facts there...yet people blame Backes...looks like stl problems runs a little deeper into their front office.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
How exactly does a team in cap hell continue to win Cups? I was told that this does not happen.

Lord knows it will be interesting to see how Bowman and company move on with the upcoming twin 10-million-a-year hits for 19 and 88. If they make yet another deep run next season, props to them. If they win it all again, I have no words.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Other than the fact he has ALREADY been an NHL head coach? :shakehead

:laugh:

That's why I asked the question!

Did you look at his record as a head coach? First place in a pathetic division and then had a terrible year the next year ; fired shortly into,his 3rd year

There are lots of ex head coaches who haven't got back to the NHL as a head coach as they simply aren't good. Perhaps you missed that point?

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bowman was not afraid to give Marian Hossa the deal he did...PC was..that's why Bowman is the best and PC is a joke..I know he didn't have a great run this yr personally but aside from their big 3 he was the lynchpin that started this run...wonder if he came here would we have won more than 1 cup with our core if Hossa was a part of it.

Bowman`s best moves (or his scouts) has been drafting incredibly well enabling to keep costs low on the bottom six while paying the top 6

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Lord knows it will be interesting to see how Bowman and company move on with the upcoming twin 10-million-a-year hits for 19 and 88. If they make yet another deep run next season, props to them. If they win it all again, I have no words.

It really helps Chicago that they have 4 defensemen that can play nearly half the game - no other team has a top 4 even close to that.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
It really helps Chicago that they have 4 defensemen that can play nearly half the game - no other team has a top 4 even close to that.

Agreed that's right that defense they have is just awesome. All 4 of those guys are All Stars. Duncan Keith unanimously won the Conn Smythe. That dude is a machine.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

This will be their challenge going forward. Keith is signed until he turns 60, I think, but Seabrook has one more year at $5MM & Hjarmalsson has two years at $4+MM. Got to think both will be due to get raises and as long as they have the Toews/Kane/Crawford/Hossa contracts on the books, there won't be a ton of room.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I wonder what Chicago is going to do on the defensive side next season. I'm assuming Oduya walks since there's no way they can afford him. Obviously Keith stays, same with Hjalmersson (both on ****ing awesome contracts) but I wonder what the plan with Seabrook is. He's a goner after next season so do they trade him now and get what should be a good return or hold onto him and let him walk after making another run? Replacing Oduya and Seabrook with Rundblad and probably a young kid would really shake the team up.

God I'd love to have Seabrook. No way we can afford him though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what Chicago is going to do on the defensive side next season. I'm assuming Oduya walks since there's no way they can afford him. Obviously Keith stays, same with Hjalmersson (both on ****ing awesome contracts) but I wonder what the plan with Seabrook is. He's a goner after next season so do they trade him now and get what should be a good return or hold onto him and let him walk after making another run? Replacing Oduya and Seabrook with Rundblad and probably a young kid would really shake the team up.

They'll get something done with Seabrook, he'll be retained. He's already their highest paid D-man now. They have the model in place, and it includes Seabrook.

Toews, Kane, Hossa, Saad, Teravainen, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Crawford. Everyone else is expendable and they'll move them before breaking up this core.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Yes Seabrook would improve our D dramatically but sadly it isn't going to happen.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Most likely they will work to extend Seabrook while welcoming kids

Also probably look for a Rozy like vet looking for cup (As Rozy was in 2013) who can play with one of the kids on bottom pairing

Q likes TVR so he likely is lock for #6/7 spot and Johns is getting rave reviews from everyone in organization so he is early favorite to win roster spot

Keith-Seabrook
?-Hjalmarsson
?-Johns
TVR

If the Reilly stuff happens he could would have advantage over Pokka and Paliotta since he is a lefty (Hawks have no good LHD ready for NHL role as all our Swedish prospects are still years away. So Reilly would likely be other kid if he signs ,, If he doesn't sign Pokka is probably most likely to win spot over Paliotta who may need some time in AHL

- Oduya appears unlikely to return (Unless he takes discount)
- Rozy wont be back and may retire (Pure speculation on retirement part)
- Timonen is retiring
- Rundblad was disaster ,, No point in Hawks waste another year on that mistake (Hopefully Bowman finally realizes it)

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

And as I recall all the reports last offseason indicated they'd trade Oduya because of cap hell. Think they could've got two second round picks for him? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad