GDT: Out of Town Playoff Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Toews = best player in the NHL. (specify the NHL, because the game really is different and requires a different type of player.. ie.. one who can take a beating and give a beating on a cramped ice space)

I think the comparable there is Messier.

Yes, I just said that.

Stamkos' legacy is ironically taking a hit from this playoff run. He's been completely inconsequential.

No way

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was it my imagination or was Kucherov out there defending a one goal lead with the Hawks goalie pulled?

I keep telling people that the Triplets line actually plays D as well. Both Kucherov and even moreso Palat will make plays in the dirty areas both offensively and on D.

And to those people who are downgrading Stamkos because of his "lack of offense" when he has 17 pts in 23 games...:laugh:

I have gained even more respect for Stamkos even though he has struggled at times with scoring in the playoffs this year. Unlike some offensive players, even when he's not scoring, he hits, blocks shots, plays good D, and does all the "little things".

He's a far better all-around player than I gave him credit for and definitely a worthy Captain in TB.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really wish we could have gotten this Chicago. I know we were up 2-1 as well, but this iteration of the Hawks looks horrible.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruins went up 2-1 over CHI as well, then went 3-0 over the last 3. Chicago scares the **** out of me :laugh: glad you all have more confidence in Tampa though.

I'm sticking with my pre-series pick of Tampa in 7

I never mentioned anything about having confidence in the Bolts, more surprised, didn`t see them being able to handle the heat of Cup final action. This one`s far from over, the Bolts have already won more games than I expected, perhaps I was giving the Hawks too much credit but.....that Hawks team will have absolutely no panic

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
3 games
Soon to be 21M in Cap hit starting next year for 8y
1 assist

No wonder Chicago is behind in the series when their top-2 players (Toews+Kane) aren't doing anything offensively.

Still, the Hawks were the better team yesterday and Bishop stole the game. That and the two open net misses by Hossa+Teravainen in the 1st and TB tying the game seconds after the Hawks went up 2-1...

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Toews = best player in the NHL. (specify the NHL, because the game really is different and requires a different type of player.. ie.. one who can take a beating and give a beating on a cramped ice space)

I think the comparable there is Messier.

Yes, I just said that.

Stamkos' legacy is ironically taking a hit from this playoff run. He's been completely inconsequential.

Couldn't be any further from the truth.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Hedman and Strallman are doing what Chara and Seids never could: shutdown Toews and Kane.

Until Game 4, I think it was, both Toews and Kane were completely invisible. Different story after those games but Hedman and Stralman are definitely both doing great.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Detroit goes the Jon Cooper route and hires Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill to be the new HC for the Red Wings.

In a remarkably similar coaching career, both won Championships in the USHL (JC in Green Bay, JB in Indiana) before moving on to the AHL, where they were head coaches for three years (JC in Norfolk/Syr, JB in Grand Rapids), winning a Calder Cup before taking an NHL job. Major difference is that Blashill had a lot more coaching exerience (in the NCAA) before joining the DET organization.

It would be nice if the B's could find a young coach and bring them into PRO with the same intent and success these two have had, to eventually replace Clode.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Detroit goes the Jon Cooper route and hires Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill to be the new HC for the Red Wings.

In a remarkably similar coaching career, both won Championships in the USHL (JC in Green Bay, JB in Indiana) before moving on to the AHL, where they were head coaches for three years (JC in Norfolk/Syr, JB in Grand Rapids), winning a Calder Cup before taking an NHL job. Major difference is that Blashill had a lot more coaching exerience (in the NCAA) before joining the DET organization.

It would be nice if the B's could find a young coach and bring them into PRO with the same intent and success these two have had, to eventually replace Clode.

Get out of my head Joe...:laugh: I was just chatting with a buddy yesterday about this exact topic.

Not sure why more teams don't do it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Get out of my head Joe...:laugh: I was just chatting with a buddy yesterday about this exact topic.

Not sure why more teams don't do it.

If you do a god job of drafting and have the prospects in the AHL that are going to eventually make their way to the NHL, it makes perfect sense.

First, the B's have to hit on two or three picks in this draft, then find a younger guy in the USHL or NCAA. You bring him in and let him coach that group of prospects for three years and then as they are all "graduating" to the NHL, you bring the coach up as well.

It's not an easy thing to do, but would appear a worthwhile endeavor.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Until Game 4, I think it was, both Toews and Kane were completely invisible. Different story after those games but Hedman and Stralman are definitely both doing great.

Q bizzarrely had them separated on different lines, and had the Hawks specifically avoiding Z's side of the ice. That had them targeting Seids (who was having a terriffic playoffs) and more importantly, they were only using half of the offensive zone, limiting their options.
It leaked out that that Z was banged up, and Q told the team to go right at him, and also put Toews & Kane together, which worked well.

I foresee Q doing some line juggling next game until he's able to get better results, and then the Hawks will start winning more.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You guys following the Yotes situation?

Glendale is moving to terminate contract with Yotes tomorrow

Hockey in Arizona appears to be coming to end

Perfect timing for Foley as I believe he is making his presentation to NHL BOG soon about viability of Vegas. Might have a team fall right in his lap

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

Perfect timing for Foley as I believe he is making his presentation to NHL BOG soon about viability of Vegas. Might have a team fall right in his lap

Interesting to note....KPD had to find a little bar in Vegas and ask them to put hockey on one of the TV's cos the other 500 had something else on. Vegas isn't doing all that much it seems to make the game popular in the area.

Would like it if Seattle had a team. Vegas seems like a flash in the pan

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

wow.

Interesting to note....KPD had to find a little bar in Vegas and ask them to put hockey on one of the TV's cos the other 500 had something else on. Vegas isn't doing all that much it seems to make the game popular in the area.

I agree Seattle > Vegas for hockey

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Unfortunately, Bettman seems hell-bent on placing a team in Las Vegas. It will be another mistake, just like Phoenix has been. The commissioner can't admit that his Sun Belt expansion has largely failed.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Not really fair IMO

Until Vegas actually gets team locals aren't going to care. Its not unreasonable

Nashville was a non entity hockey wise when Preds came. City has grown as far as interest in hockey and youth hockey , etc thru years

Carolina was another place that has showed growth (Though that has stalled because of lousy Canes performance outside of 3 years of existence)

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Not really fair IMO

Until Vegas actually gets team locals aren't going to care. Its not unreasonable

Nashville was a non entity hockey wise when Preds came. City has grown as far as interest in hockey and youth hockey , etc thru years

Carolina was another place that has showed growth (Though that has stalled because of lousy Canes performance outside of 3 years of existence)
But....you'd think if they are touted to have the next franchise in the NHL the city might try drum up some interest beforehand right? I mean, there's no point having a new arena built and a new franchise only to see the sort of crowds Florida used to pull, cpuld you imagine opening night being packed cos its a big event, then at the mid point of the season its tumble weeds in the stands cos Hockey wasn't fed to them before they had a team?

Seems crazy to me to want a franchise in the city yet not have the Stanley Cup playoffs showing in the local bars.

Seattle would give Boston an instant rival :) but having Quebec would at least get rid of the sel obsessed and entitled Habs team that think their almighty French ties are godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad