Our Stanley Cup chances are being hindered by an extremely weak captain.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Hes a terrible captain. Look at Patrice Bergeron in the first few games. While the Bruins were sleepwalking, Patrice Bergeron was fully visible and doing awesome things... He even tried to motivate the bench when he scored.

Have you ever seen anything like that from Gionta? I don't think so. I am sure he just say to his teammates what Therrien tells him.

So you are suggesting that throwing your arms in the air and yelling, is quality motivational material, that all captains should do? Awesome stuff here, I'll go look through sold old highlights of Gainey, Carbonneau and the boys just to confirm they did Spider Monkey moves.

qwerty123

May 4, 2014
So you are suggesting that throwing your arms in the air and yelling, is quality motivational material, that all captains should do? Awesome stuff here, I'll go look through sold old highlights of Gainey, Carbonneau and the boys just to confirm they did Spider Monkey moves.

lol? Yelling positive things is definitely motivating, yes. Score a goal, tell your team something good so they get that "spark". It works.

Analyzer*

Considering a number of people here have been wanting him gone... He better not be back.

Not even at reduced salary and reduced role.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't get the hate for Gionta.

No he's not the player he was and his offensive talent is limited. But he's defensively responsible and I've seen nothing to indicate that he's a terrible captain. I'm cool with the guy in a reduced checking role and killing penalties.

That being said, it's clear that he's past his best before date when it comes to offense. I'm as tired as anyone of watching those shots to the goalies' chest and the missed setups. Last night's one timer miss was only the latest in glorious opportunities that we've missed out on with him. He has his place but I don't understand why he's on the PP.

MT obviously thinks experience = good but that's not always the case. I'm fine keeping Gionta next year for a lot less cash and a checking role. If he's good with that, so am I. I'd much rather we deal away Briere and DD who are eating up offensive time and opportunities that I'd rather see younger and better players getting.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Gionta is a great third liner. He is not a great captain though. We can't strip him and re-sign so the only option is to say goodbye. In the end it's probably best that he was named captain. Imagine if we were trying to run a guy like Subban/Patches out of town right now(assuming one of them magically became captain after we moved Gomez/Gill who were the other candidates when Gionta was appointed).

The worst case scenario is Gorges is named captain if we let Gionta walk though.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
We surely don't watch the same game. I don't recall seeing Gionta in front of the net once this offseason. He is playing like Martin Rucinsky right now. It's not a problem if you have one of the best shot in the league. But Gionta actually has one of the worst.

I'm not saying he's effective, but I'm saying he's TRYING... He's got two arms that have been basically rebuilt, yet he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas. He's limited by his lack of size as well... He's playing with two major handicaps, yet he's still a great penalty killer and solid defensively. He's just a black hole offensively, and can't be counted upon for anything there.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Would rather have Vanek then Gionta. I'm sick of his shots into the goalie's chest and the resulting Corsi pumping from those shots. Dude might know defense, but small checking forwards do not have a long lifespan, especially old ones on their last legs.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Some of you seem to value effort more than results.

Maybe so but statistically Gionta is one of our best players 5 on 5 playing tough minutes. He's an ideal 3rd line guy for the future at the right price.

I'd rather drop his salary and find a way to play with Briere and Bourque's contracts because they are far less consistent.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Carbonneau for me

Before Saku, Carbs was my favourite Canadien. Not just captain but hab. The way the habs treated Saku is a disgrace. Could you imagine Saku on this team 5 years ago. Give him Patches and Vanek..LOL we would win the cup. All heart, never surrender. I doubt Vanek plays as lame as he has with saku on his line, even if he is injured.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Maybe so but statistically Gionta is one of our best players 5 on 5 playing tough minutes. He's an ideal 3rd line guy for the future at the right price.

I'd rather drop his salary and find a way to play with Briere and Bourque's contracts because they are far less consistent.

Michael Frolik is an ideal 3rd line defensive forward. Brian Gionta is a soon-to-be pinball who should retire.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Be careful what you wish for. Gionta will be missed if he does go. He just needs to play the right role. Which is 3rd line and PK. No PP.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I guess I would just like to know who it is that is replacing him and for how much before I committed. Specifically. I don't think we have a good internal candidate, not quite yet anyway. I want the team to keep progressing, not take a step back looking to a longer term payoff.

So, I can imagine being ok with having Gionta back for 1-2 years at a reduced cap hit. How reduced doesn't really matter a lot to me if we don't have something else to spend the money on. If we can pay Briere $8M/2yrs, I can't see a great argument for not giving Gionta the same. If there isn't somebody better taking his spot, anyway.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I dont even get the Vanek hate, why is MT playing him 18 mins a game ? no goals in what ? 14 games. Disgusting. Gionta is a black hole of offence and just cringeworth to watch. So many turnovers. I dont even see him coming back at a discounted rate. Bournival ( not much better) should take his spot IMO or anyone else. Lunqvist is the unanimous for NYC and is stepping up to the plate.

What does his goal scoring have to do with being captain? Gionta is one of the more respected players in the whole NHL and very respected by teammates.

Saying he is a weak captain is talking about something you have no knowledge. The fact that he was named captain after only being in Montreal a year says it all.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Be careful what you wish for. Gionta will be missed if he does go. He just needs to play the right role. Which is 3rd line and PK. No PP.

People here think this team magically got here, without Gionta as captain. He had zero impact all year. He isn't giving a Tony Robbins speech between shifts, so he much be a terrible captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad