Our Stanley Cup chances are being hindered by an extremely weak captain.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I have no issues of him re-signing, provided that:

• we strip him of the C (not that he's a poor leader) and give it to our franchise player (Subban).
  • he doesn't get a sniff of top 6.
  • he publicly recognizes and apologizes for all his ruined scoring chances, shots to the crest from the half boards, and says on record ''I am really short and have no vision''. (ok, he can leave the short part out)
  • his deal is not a penny more than 850K.

If all this can happen I will accept him back. I admire his consistent effort.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The worst is we have to go through 82 games season to reach where we are now.

If I was Bergevin, I would judge the playoffs for evaluation I dont care about the regular season.

Gionta gone, EMelin gone, Murray gone at the very least.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Gionta is doing his job, the problem and it's been the case for the last 2 years with Therrien is that he simply overplays him too much. PP time, now killing penalties, 5 on5 it's simply too much for Gio. Takes hi pp time away, that would be a start

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gionta's one of the hardest working guys out there tonight. Thread is dumb.

Then he should be playing 5 mins a night on the 4th line. I can't believe some people in this thread havnt realised how awful Gionta is.

This thread is legit. Him and Vanek are absolutely worthless offensively. Pacioretty and Plekanec havn't been good either. It's no wonder we're down 3-1 in this series.

Time to move on from him. He couldn't score in my ball-hockey beer league.

Azriel

Mar 8, 2012
Montreal
I think it's time to play to young guys. They seem to be the only ones pulling the load.

I'd do this:

1st line minutes : Eller-Gallgher-Galchenyuk
2nd line minutes: DD-Patches-Bournival
3rd line minutes: plek-Bourque-Gionta (Strickly defensive)
4th line minutes: White-Moen-Brière (Brière also on the PP)

Defense can stay how they are. The only change would be Emelin for Beaulieu.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I just hate how he KILLS every offensive chance. He has zero imagination and I really can't watch him whiff on grade A scoring chances anymore. Ever since he tore both his biceps, his shot has deteriorated. He rarely goes in front of the net anymore. I don't think he brings anything to the team on the ice.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I want him to walk at the end as well but Bergevin loves the guy and was already talking about re-signing him earlier on this year.

The problem is that none of the young guys in the system are ready to move up yet, and our top 9 (especially on right wing) are far too small. There's Gionta, Gallagher and Vanek (who likely walks). Need some bigger bodies for the long season grind.

I will say there's a 1000% more compete inside of Gionta than there's been from Pacioretty, Vanek, Bourque and many others. The guy tries hard.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
This team is light years away from contending.we have a stud d man and goalie but need a stud or 2 up front to provide som offence. Then sum complementary forwards who can create scoring. This group cant do that.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Gionta our captain? he doesn't seem like one, it's like we are playing without a captain. A captain would of skated to the bench and talked to the players motivate them, instead of being a clueless individual

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
We need a real leader who shows up and contributes consistently.how bout pacioretty ?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Captaincy actually has no effect. I can't believe hockey fans take it seriously.

Basketball fans could really give rat's *** about captaincy even though they have it.

Rangers don't even have one and they are up in the series.

NHL made the captain position for every team for marketing purposes, it really don't mean no ****

Yeah but the Rangers have 2 players they rally around. Girardi, MSL and Lundqvist.

Lundqvist gives them a chance to win every game.

MSL has always played his heart out during all his career and it hasn't stopped here and with his mother passing away it gave his teammates something more to play for than just the cup.

In a way one could say the Habs lost their real captain in Carey Price. The guy that was able to keep them calm knowing if they mess up they have that dude in front of the pipes that will make the save to bail you out.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If Gionta has heart, what does MSL have?

I think that just plain "effort" is hard to gauge, but when I see MSL battle so hard and focus game-in game-out, that's what I consider to be "heart".

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I will say there's a 1000% more compete inside of Gionta than there's been from Pacioretty, Vanek, Bourque and many others. The guy tries hard.

We surely don't watch the same game. I don't recall seeing Gionta in front of the net once this offseason. He is playing like Martin Rucinsky right now. It's not a problem if you have one of the best shot in the league. But Gionta actually has one of the worst.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It's no secret that I REALLY, REALLY dislike Brian Gionta the player.

If it's up to me he isn't brought back, but I know he will be and it better be for less than 4 million on a 1 year deal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He has a weaker shot than Gorges. It's sad, really.

But at least he has an excuse. Two bicep surgeries, his body worn down from his size and style of play earlier in his career.

There are no excuses for Vanek.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd rather Moen in the lineup than him at this point, at least he can win a board battle and get the ****ing puck out of our zone. Gionta was fine in a more defensive, third line role, but he's absolutely killing the Plekanec line offensively.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Hes horrible he loses the puck EVERY SINGLE TIME he has it in his possession
So frustrating
When he has the puck you just know a rangers is going to have it next

GTFO

Nynja*

Hes horrible he loses the puck EVERY SINGLE TIME he has it in his possession
So frustrating
When he has the puck you just know a rangers is going to have it next

GTFO

Funny, we say the same thing about Murray, except everyone defends Murray cause MOARBIG. Except instead of Murray giving possession back to the opposition, the habs are physically incapable of getting possession to begin with.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I dont even get the Vanek hate, why is MT playing him 18 mins a game ? no goals in what ? 14 games. Disgusting. Gionta is a black hole of offence and just cringeworth to watch. So many turnovers. I dont even see him coming back at a discounted rate. Bournival ( not much better) should take his spot IMO or anyone else. Lunqvist is the unanimous for NYC and is stepping up to the plate.

The irony here is delicious. He's a terrible captain, yet we are in the conference finals? Taking into account the pathetic offense from guys like Eller, Vanek and the boys, .. it's simply amazing this team wasn't golfing 2 weeks ago.

Oh, have you watched guys like Eller and DD lately? Turnover machines.

qwerty123

May 4, 2014
Hes a terrible captain. Look at Patrice Bergeron in the first few games. While the Bruins were sleepwalking, Patrice Bergeron was fully visible and doing awesome things... He even tried to motivate the bench when he scored.

Have you ever seen anything like that from Gionta? I don't think so. I am sure he just say to his teammates what Therrien tells him.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Should be a third line defensive winger. 12-14min a game, with no PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad