Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
I can't wait for the first team to refuse to pay the compensation and hire someone else instead of a guy who was fired.

This rule will be changed the next day.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That would make some sense though because you're losing a respected GM to a division rival.

Expect they didn't because of the old NHL code. Boston decided to be dicks about it (he went to Edmonton, doesn't affect them at all).

So now everyone is treating it as how you are supposed to do business.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think the comp. rule is stupid for fired coachs and GMs. If someone is under contract i kind of get it but i also think teams should be able to work something out not have it be a locked in pick.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It makes sense for a guy like Hynes - PIT has invested a lot of time and effort into grooming him.

It's pretty stupid for a guy they voluntarily terminated. A coach's contract should end when he's fired.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anyway we have two extra thirds next year from our trades this year.

So what is more important? Couple of extra thirds beyond our own in a draft a year away, or potentially the right coach to help get this turned around?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
It makes sense for a guy like Hynes - PIT has invested a lot of time and effort into grooming him.

It's pretty stupid for a guy they voluntarily terminated. A coach's contract should end when he's fired.

Agreed coaches and GMs active and under contract makes sense.

Guys who have been fired should not be be allowed to get comp.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005

I really don't agree with that. If Pittsburgh wants to promote him or increase his pay to keep him, that's fine - but if another team wants to hire him to a position that Pittsburgh isn't willing to give him they should not impede him from getting that opportunity somewhere else.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
got no problem paying a 3rd for a coach, given that PIT already let us have Shero free

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Teams can ignore it. And they should.

It seems like it's become monkey see monkey do once the first couple teams did it. If we tried to hire Shero now the Pens might have held us up for a third.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
It seems like it's become monkey see monkey do once the first couple teams did it. If we tried to hire Shero now the Pens might have held us up for a third.

I kind of understand that. Why should Boston get an unfair advantage just because they are dicks? If they get the pick, then everyone feels like if they don't it could hurt their competitiveness.

That's why I can't wait until a team says "We aren't giving you anything. You keep paying this guy and we'll hire someone else. Have fun explaining to this dude you fired why you felt you deserved compensation for him and why he continues to be unemployed."

I guarantee that will be the end of this idiotic practice.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is this garbage standard NHL practice? To impede the careers of your lower-level employees and (even worse) people you fire?

I see Boston did this. What other teams have no class?

Think of it this way: a team tries to sign a player from another team that is under contract with the intention of playing him on the 1st line instead of the 3rd he's stuck on on his current team. Of course you're gonna want compensation.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Think of it this way: a team tries to sign a player from another team that is under contract with the intention of playing him on the 1st line instead of the 3rd he's stuck on on his current team. Of course you're gonna want compensation.

The difference is that there is only one HC/GM position and no matter how well the lower-level employee does, he isn't competing for it. He can't. They aren't doing the same job. The 3rd line player is doing the same job as the 1st line player and has a chance to outperform him. The opportunity to advance exists for the 3rd line player.

The analogy is not really applicable in many other ways as well.

Basically, if you want to hang onto someone like Hynes, just match what he would be paid in his new position and give him assurances he will be part of a transition at some specific point. He may then choose to stay.

Otherwise, it is wrong to keep him from advancing his career when you do not have that opportunity available for him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If they're going to treat coaches like players with compensation, they need to put a cap on coach's salaries as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't like the idea of giving up two picks for two coaches, but if Shero thinks Hynes is the right guy to start getting us turned around and can be the guy that sticks around for a long time.

Then just send one of our extra thirds from next year to Pitt. I rather have the right guy to help grow this team, then to have to force someone else in here.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Funny that San Jose asks for compensation and then we DON'T ask them to give up anything when they hire a fired coach? Shero was a blessing but then if they comeback and ask for a 3rd - I'd counter offer and say we won't try to steal away Paul Martin (or we will if that's what they want)...

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
New NHL, we don't have much of a choice unless we go completely off the board.

I'd rather sign a "UFA coach" like Boucher for free.

Especially for this team, right here and right now. We're a rebuilding/transition team, lets not blow our load over a coach when we still don't even have a true core going forward. We have plenty of building to do before we're ready for that.

Buffalo has a great young core and draft picks for days, they can afford this. San Jose is mortgaging everything for one last desperate run before their window expires, they have an imminent rebuild on the horizon. We're in between them, this is not the time to waste assets on coach we're just going to end up firing in 2 years anyway.

Hopefully by the time we ARE ready to compete, this stupid rule will be changed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd rather sign a "UFA coach" like Boucher for free.

Especially for this team, right here and right now. We're a rebuilding/transition team, lets not blow our load over a coach when we still don't even have a true core going forward. We have plenty of building to do before we're ready for that.

Buffalo has a great young core and draft picks for days, they can afford this. San Jose is mortgaging everything for one last desperate run before their window expires, they have an imminent rebuild on the horizon. We're in between them, this is not the time to waste assets on coach we're just going to end up firing in 2 years anyway.

Hopefully by the time we ARE ready to compete, this stupid rule will be changed.

Is one third rounder more valuable then a coach that could get the most out of our young D which is our core.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Is one third rounder more valuable then a coach that could get the most out of our young D which is our core.

We're not ready to compete. This team is not a finished product, and I'm not convinced Hynes would do a better job preparing them than Boucher would.

We all rave about our young D being our core, yet our fans can't trade Merrill and Gelinas quick enough. Larsson, Severson, Henrique, #6 OA, and Schneider isn't winning any Cups unless we add some more major pieces. And that will take time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rumors seem to be leaning towards Todd Reirden as the head coach and Hynes as an assistant but I wouldn't give compensation for an assistant and a head coach. Looking at the info I would go Hynes all the way. Or Maclean.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56898

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56362

If there was no compensation I would be perfectly fine with the Reirden Hynes combo.

One pick for a coach I can stomach since thats the stupid rule now, but two for two coaches...ya I don't really want to do that (unless we can make it like a 2020 third or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad