Our Keepers

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
In the hindsight we should have traded for Bernier..

Our goaliesituation would have been solved for the next 10 years.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Aboslutely, in hindsight...

However, we need to remember that at the time, Harding was the best goaltender in the NHL, Backstrom was rusty (but still capable) and nobody thought Kuemper would even be playing in the NHL this season.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
In the short term the Wild's goaltending situation looks terrible but in the long term either Kuemper or Gustafsson could end up being very good. At the moment we don't have a single good goalie and of course it's a huge concern because it's the most important role in hockey.

Kuemper's young and without him over performing earlier this year we wouldn't even be talking about the P word anymore. But young goalies are not often able to keep performing steadily for long stretches of time, and that's what's happening with him now.

Bryz is just not that great.

As for next season, I think it's time we stop being too optimistic about Harding. I sincerely wish him the best and hope he gets better but this team can't count on him at all. Put him on LTIR.

That leaves us with Bäckström and Kuemper for next season. Could work out decently but there would still be question marks.

So, what to do? Trade/sign a more reliable goalie and send Kuemper to Iowa (is he still waiver-exempt?) or trade Bäckström (which I think would be difficult)?

Either way, I'd bring in another goalie (not Bryz).

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
In the short term the Wild's goaltending situation looks terrible but in the long term either Kuemper or Gustafsson could end up being very good. At the moment we don't have a single good goalie and of course it's a huge concern because it's the most important role in hockey.

Kuemper's young and without him over performing earlier this year we wouldn't even be talking about the P word anymore. But young goalies are not often able to keep performing steadily for long stretches of time, and that's what's happening with him now.

Bryz is just not that great.

As for next season, I think it's time we stop being too optimistic about Harding. I sincerely wish him the best and hope he gets better but this team can't count on him at all. Put him on LTIR.

That leaves us with Bäckström and Kuemper for next season. Could work out decently but there would still be question marks.

So, what to do? Trade/sign a more reliable goalie and send Kuemper to Iowa (is he still waiver-exempt?) or trade Bäckström (which I think would be difficult)?

Either way, I'd bring in another goalie (not Bryz).

Bryzgalov is 3-0-2 do you roll with him as your starter for now??

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Bryz is starting to look good. I say give him next game. Give Kuemper a little chance to practice and fix the cracks in his armor. If we can get Kuemper back to form and have a Bryz who is getting into the groove, I think that gives us a solid chance.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Bryzgalov is 3-0-2 do you roll with him as your starter for now??

Absolutely. Kuemper will get a game or two before the playoffs, but Bryz will have the #1 job going in the post season. It would be just perfect if only he was a a little better of a goaltender. Hope he gets hot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Absolutely. Kuemper will get a game or two before the playoffs, but Bryz will have the #1 job going in the post season. It would be just perfect if only he was a a little better of a goaltender. Hope he gets hot.

I'm not calling either player for the #1 job as of yet. 1 game at a time right now. Bryz has earned the next game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

He is a good goalie, he's just still working to get up to speed. Tonight he's shown that he's starting to get there.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I don't think Bryzgalov has looked extremely strong in the majority of his starts... Rebounds galore, and he's not very good at playing the puck.

He keeps the biscuit out of the basket, though. :dunno:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't think Bryzgalov has looked extremely strong in the majority of his starts... Rebounds galore, and he's not very good at playing the puck.

He keeps the biscuit out of the basket, though. :dunno:

The issue now is that we are scoring 3 goals, but it is taking 3 goals in order to even tie the damn game. Their Save % hasn't been stellar....

But if they can get us 3-4 more wins, I would be elated.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota

I was a strong advocate for trading for Bernier. Not many others seemed to agree because of the cost. I'd say now most would have to agree we should've went after him.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I was a strong advocate for trading for Bernier. Not many others seemed to agree because of the cost. I'd say now most would have to agree we should've went after him.

I didn't want Bernier either at that time, but said that I had signed Khudobin. Too bad some GM are really not good.

I like Kuemper and hope he doesn't sign so early. I would offer sheet him which can only be good for him. Money is not a problem but might be for you. Of course not crazy money, but enough to make it interesting. What do you think, how much will he get?

Really sad for the players that there are not more offer sheets used.

I will root for Kuemper in the playoffs. Wish you luck.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
The all encompassing Minnesota Wild goaltending thread

Seriously what took so long for a thread like this?

It's the most important thing, before #vanekwatch, #moulsonwatch, before anything else the Wild must fix this goaltending situation before next year begins. Bryzgalov is a solid goalie for the regular season, his playoff performances and including tonight leave a lot to be desire. Barring a completely unforeseen reversal of fortune, he should not be sought after to be retained for next year.

If it is me Kuemper is my guy next year, HOWEVER, you have to have a 1A for a 50/50 time split next year so Kuemper is not overwhelmed plus you have someone you can trust should he struggle or what not next year.

I feel terrible for saying this but I don't know how you bring back either Harding or Backstrom next year. And I don't know how you get rid of them? It is actually quite remarkable how well the players play Yeo's defensive system (at times) and have helped in the regular season keep the goaltending steady given the turmoil. Yeo bashing his popular, but I'll say this for him his players don't seem to mind playing hard for him when they could've easily completely collapsed in January.

It is this goaltending conundrum, that is likely to be their undoing in this playoff year and will keep the Wild from truly being taken seriously as a contender until this gets fixed.

Seriously this will probably give me headaches this entire offseason.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if STL doesnt make a strong run miller could be available july 1st. not really sure if any other good ufa options available. even if brizzy struggles this post season currently im for bringing him back next year if backs cant be healthy #1.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Doubt Miller comes here as he wants to "win". It´s reported that he´s intrested in joining the Ducks if things don´t work out with the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad