Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm not sure a couple bad games mean Kuemper is "coming down to Earth."

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He's struggled the last couple of weeks, which wouldn't be a cause for major concern if this was at the beginning or middle of the season. But we're in the last push for the postseason. It's a battle for those last two spots, and there is very little room for error. His struggles are going to be magnified and a bigger deal considering the timing of it all.

Am I worried about him in regards to the future with the Wild? No. He still has a lot to learn and should be fine.

Am I worried about our netminders collapsing down this final stretch in the fight to clinch a playoff spot? Hell yes!

GoWild

Nov 29, 2013
Colorado
He's struggled the last couple of weeks, which wouldn't be a cause for major concern if this was at the beginning or middle of the season. But we're in the last push for the postseason. It's a battle for those last two spots, and there is very little room for error. His struggles are going to be magnified and a bigger deal considering the timing of it all.

Am I worried about him in regards to the future with the Wild? No. He still has a lot to learn and should be fine.

Am I worried about our netminders collapsing down this final stretch in the fight to clinch a playoff spot? Hell yes!

my thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about a stretch collappse with the goalies being a main reason..

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
I hope, hope more than anything, that next season Harding can be back 100% and NOT need to switch medication again. So far, the two times he's switched, he's missed significant time. He's quickly become one of my favorite all time players, and I'd love more than anything to have him back healthy.

If not, Kuemper will be fine. He's only 23, he'll continue to develop and grow. Backstrom, if healthy by the deadline, could be bought out, or maybe this surgery was exactly what he needed to return to starting form and can be back to splitting time with Kuemper. If either Backstrom or Harding are good to go, I don't think Bryzgalov returns next year, but I'd be ok with him as a cheap backup if neither are ready, giving us more cap to spend towards free agency/resigning the young guns.

If all else fails, throw 6.25-6.75M/4-5yrs at Miller if he doesn't resign with the Blues as a contingency plan. :)

EDIT: I also forgot about Gustafsson, who should be a good goalie for us as well. Everything I've read about him says that he has a higher ceiling than even Kuemper, but he'll need a lot more development. So we've got options now and in the future.

Last edited:

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I hope, hope more than anything, that next season Harding can be back 100% and NOT need to switch medication again. So far, the two times he's switched, he's missed significant time. He's quickly become one of my favorite all time players, and I'd love more than anything to have him back healthy.

If not, Kuemper will be fine. He's only 23, he'll continue to develop and grow. Backstrom, if healthy by the deadline, could be bought out, or maybe this surgery was exactly what he needed to return to starting form and can be back to splitting time with Kuemper. If either Backstrom or Harding are good to go, I don't think Bryzgalov returns next year, but I'd be ok with him as a cheap backup if neither are ready, giving us more cap to spend towards free agency/resigning the young guns.

If all else fails, throw 6.25-6.75M/4-5yrs at Miller if he doesn't resign with the Blues as a contingency plan. :)

I agree with this.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Backstrom is going to be out for the summer preventing the buyout. Harding is also out. I am guessing the Wild will have to have three goalies on the roster to start the season before they can put Hards on LTIR. And if they don't, man that could be a mess. Unless they move to trade Backstrom or something.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They should just buyout Backstrom and sign Bryz. Or trade him to someone that needs to get to the cap floor.

Backstrom just had surgery. very little chance he will be cleared by the buyout window, and tough to trade an aging goalie who wasnt good this year.

Backstrom will be back next year.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Our goaltending situation is concerning. We shall see what happens over the rest of the season. Sadly, our goaltenders are feeling a lot of pressure and with our inability to score, they have to look almost perfect every game - this is not reasonable.

Our d has not been good either, which does not help the situation. Personally, I don't really like the Suter - Spurgeon pairing. Put Spurgeon on the second pairing and FFS move Brodin back there and away from Prosser. I would also say play Suter less - He looks tired and worn out.

I just think our goaltending is indicative of our whole team right now, and it just seems worn down.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I think kuemps is generally pretty good. imo, many goals against in the vancouver game were not his fault, aka the spurgeon fanned pass

J22*

I think kuemps is generally pretty good. imo, many goals against in the vancouver game were not his fault, aka the spurgeon fanned pass

If Backstrom was the goaltender that gave up those 3 goals last night, this thread would be 6 pages long right now. Just because everybody likes the kid and are pulling for him, it doesnt mean that he should be exempt from criticism when it's deserved. In his last handfull of games he hasnt been near good enough and if he doesnt get it fixed the Wild are in big trouble.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Backstrom was the goaltender that gave up those 3 goals last night, this thread would be 6 pages long right now. Just because everybody likes the kid and are pulling for him, it doesnt mean that he should be exempt from criticism when it's deserved. In his last handfull of games he hasnt been near good enough and if he doesnt get it fixed the Wild are in big trouble.

Agreed that Kuemper has been sucking it up lately. He's been cracking under the pressure. The kid was money for a time, but you don't give up 3+ goals over 5 of he last 7 starts because of only defensive lapses.

Some of those should have been saved. I'll give you the times when he was screened... but when it's an unscreened shot from the top of the circle, a goaltender has to make that save at the NHL level.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Play Mr. Universe for a few games to see if he gets going.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think our goalies are fine, they're just feeling the pressure, and when they make mistakes it's way more obvious.

Keumper should have sat this game, but that's a different topic.

Let Briz take the Phoenix game and see how it goes from there.

Keumper just needs a bit of a break and it's not very fair to expect him to be a stalwart wall yet, with his limited experience, age, and with the whole team collapsing around him these last few weeks.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Out goaltending has been terrible the last stretch of games. It's why we are losing. The Wild mentally are on an edge, and the lack of quality saves is pushing us off the cliff.

***** all you want about Yeo, there is plenty to blame there, but this team needs a few players to get pissed and go beast mode for the remainder of the season.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

This is it. Kuemper is a good and personable kid but the truth is, his play hasn't been NHL starter level in the last few games. Just no way around it. Solving the goalie situation and providing us at least good, if not great, goaltending for next season is essential for our success and must be a high priority for Fletcher.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
For me, Keumper is just performing at about the level I would expect from a kid in his situation.

Our goaltending situation is somewhat weak right. It is only magnified more because the rest of our team is failing as well.

If we are to get anywhere this post season, we will need our goaltending to stand on its' head, but to expect this is just unreasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad