Our Goalie Situation

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Eh, i feel like special teams wasn’t that big a deal. Yeah they weren’t great in the playoffs, but during the season, they were ok. Had they scored 5 more PP goals over their 70ish games, it would’ve been a top 10 PP.

the PK was in shambles because we simply were missing so many PKers.

the defense is a little bit of a sore spot only because we’re in that awkward transition period.

the 3rd line is also something that needs to be corrected. But I think with the proper investment into the 3C solves that issue rather quickly and even adds more insulation to the PK.
Special teams ultimately cost us Game 7. It was mediocre at best in the regular season. It was actually fitting that the Avs special teams in the playoffs was a big part of their demise. Kill a penalty and score one more PP goal and the Avs would be playing the Knights as we speak. Fair to say the PK suffered with the lose of the goalies, EJ, Calvert and Donskoi but the PP has no excuse.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Special teams ultimately cost us Game 7. It was mediocre at best in the regular season. It was actually fitting that the Avs special teams in the playoffs was a big part of their demise. Kill a penalty and score one more PP goal and the Avs would be playing the Knights as we speak. Fair to say the PK suffered with the lose of the goalies, EJ, Calvert and Donskoi but the PP has no excuse.
That’s one way to think of it.

personally, I don’t blame a series loss on what happened in 1 game.

there are many many reasons why the Avs lost. You think special teams was the main reason, ok. I don’t.
I agree that the PP was a factor. Never denied it.

but there’s just so little that I can take at face value from this playoffs. Guys hadn’t played in nearly 5 months. It’s a very random and completely unpredictable tournament. This was the equivalent of a brand new regular season, without a training camp.
We knew going into the playoffs it was going to be a crap shoot. Had this been a typical playoffs, I think I would be more critical.
In this ridiculousness of a year, you chalk it up to bad luck.

i don’t care what anyone says. There’s no team in the league right now that would’ve continued to win hockey games with the injuries we had to the types of players we had. And that’s not even taking into account the whole COVID scenario.
Take out any teams main PK forwards and defencemen, and their 2 starting goalies. It’s just not realistic.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah... leading 3-2 with under 10 minutes to go in the 3rd period of game 7, and you get a PP... You score there and you clinch the series. We failed to score, then the ref calls a soft one on Compher, Dallas PP, 3-3 and anyone's game.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
How about you play better defense and don’t go on the PK? Or you play better in X period of Y game?

you guys are just nitpicking now. It’s a 7 game series and there were loads of opportunities throughout to play better or do things differently. To call it out as just the PK or PP is a bit of a stretch

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
How about you play better defense and don’t go on the PK? Or you play better in X period of Y game?

you guys are just nitpicking now. It’s a 7 game series and there were loads of opportunities throughout to play better or do things differently. To call it out as just the PK or PP is a bit of a stretch

Our PK was terrible all series. It was absolutely the primary factor in us not advancing, saying otherwise is just ignoring the facts. Despite our terrible PK which resulted in many Dallas goals we took the series to Game 7, and then to overtime. We played through our terrible penalty kill and forced a Game 7. Then in a game where they scored two pp goals on two pp chances, both of which we just decided not to defend the front of the net, we went up again. It was so terrible that it's impossible not to point to the PK. Yes the Kadri / Graves botch on the game tying goal was individually a bad play, but THAT is one play. The PK was consistent the entire series, and if we had one (or two) kills in Game 7 we are still playing.

Reactions: klozge

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah... leading 3-2 with under 10 minutes to go in the 3rd period of game 7, and you get a PP... You score there and you clinch the series. We failed to score, then the ref calls a soft one on Compher, Dallas PP, 3-3 and anyone's game.
Burakovsky passes to no one trying a behind the back pass. Rock for brains. Then JTC takes a dumb penalty, PK just folds like a house of cards, but they still had more to show us in terms of playing with brain on cruise control - looking at you Nazem. Just a tragedy of errors and low iq plays.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Burakovsky passes to no one trying a behind the back pass. Rock for brains. Then JTC takes a dumb penalty, PK just folds like a house of cards, but they still had more to show us in terms of playing with brain on cruise control - looking at you Nazem. Just a tragedy of errors and low iq plays.
Question is why Bednar puts Burakovsky on to hold a lead with 3 mins left.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Question is why Bednar puts Burakovsky on to hold a lead with 3 mins left.
I'm talking about the PP. He was out there with the first unit, they were pressing and pressing and then he pulls that, 1st unit exists, 2nd unit can't get set up, the puck gets out a 20secs later Compher takes a dumb penalty. That play basically cost us a chance to go two up and gave Dallas life.

Reactions: Richard88

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Our PK was terrible all series. It was absolutely the primary factor in us not advancing, saying otherwise is just ignoring the facts. Despite our terrible PK which resulted in many Dallas goals we took the series to Game 7, and then to overtime. We played through our terrible penalty kill and forced a Game 7. Then in a game where they scored two pp goals on two pp chances, both of which we just decided not to defend the front of the net, we went up again. It was so terrible that it's impossible not to point to the PK. Yes the Kadri / Graves botch on the game tying goal was individually a bad play, but THAT is one play. The PK was consistent the entire series, and if we had one (or two) kills in Game 7 we are still playing.
Hard to be good on the PK when 3 of your top PKers didn't play one game in the series, and your top 2 goalies were both injured. Yes the PK wasn't the best in the league when everyone is healthy, but I'm willing to give them a break considering all the injuries vs. Dallas.

Reactions: MarkT

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The PP, on the other hand, has been abysmal for the talent on the roster for 2 straight years. That absolutely needs to be addressed. The fact that they haven't announced any coaching changes yet doesn't inspire any confidence that they see the need to fix anything with it. Going out and getting a Taylor Hall isn't going to fix the fact that the plan and execution are terrible.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hard to be good on the PK when 3 of your top PKers didn't play one game in the series, and your top 2 goalies were both injured. Yes the PK wasn't the best in the league when everyone is healthy, but I'm willing to give them a break considering all the injuries vs. Dallas.

I think that's a fair point, but they still need to do something to improve the PK.

I don't have any issues with them letting Comeau go because he was clearly on the decline, but the one thing he did do was PK well. That turned out to be a bigger loss than first thought. Calvert wasn't quite as good, and Belly wasn't as good as hoped either.

If you look at the personnel they had the last few years, and their PK results, a few things stick out. They're missing Comeau, and Nieto and Compher shouldn't be on the first PK unit.

2019-20 - 81.4% - 13th

Nieto - 2:21
Compher - 2:15
Calvert -2:10
Bellemare - 2:05

2018-19 - 78.7% - 25th

Nieto - 2:38
Bourque - 2:30
Soderberg - 2:29
Calvert - 2:15

2017-18 - 83.3% - 4th

Comeau -2:31
Soderberg - 2:25
Nieto - 2:17
Bourque - 1:54

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe Avs should get couple of good PK guys and replace Pratt with a better defensive coach. The PP isn't bad. At times it may look mediocre but often it looks solid. PK however more often than not looks bad and too predictable

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think that's a fair point, but they still need to do something to improve the PK.

I don't have any issues with them letting Comeau go because he was clearly on the decline, but the one thing he did do was PK well. That turned out to be a bigger loss than first thought. Calvert wasn't quite as good, and Belly wasn't as good as hoped either.

If you look at the personnel they had the last few years, and their PK results, a few things stick out. They're missing Comeau, and Nieto and Compher shouldn't be on the first PK unit.

2019-20 - 81.4% - 13th

Nieto - 2:21
Compher - 2:15
Calvert -2:10
Bellemare - 2:05

2018-19 - 78.7% - 25th

Nieto - 2:38
Bourque - 2:30
Soderberg - 2:29
Calvert - 2:15

2017-18 - 83.3% - 4th

Comeau -2:31
Soderberg - 2:25
Nieto - 2:17
Bourque - 1:54

Compher most definitely should be off the PK.

upload_2020-9-16_13-38-23.png

Some will argue that he's an offensive threat on the PK which would have some merit if it were true, but he only has 5 SHG's in 256 NHL games, 2 of which came on the same PK shift against Arizona.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Compher most definitely should be off the PK.

View attachment 367695

Some will argue that he's an offensive threat on the PK which would have some merit if it were true, but he only has 5 SHG's in 256 NHL games, 2 of which came on the same PK shift against Arizona.

Compher's one guy I wouldn't mind Colorado moving.

He's nice to have when injuries strike because he can play almost everywhere, but he doesn't do anything particularly well and is streaky. He's yet another guy where you're not sure if he's really a Center or is a Right Wing (NHL.com lists him as a Left Wing).

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Compher's one guy I wouldn't mind Colorado moving.

He's nice to have when injuries strike because he can play almost everywhere, but he doesn't do anything particularly well and is streaky. He's yet another guy where you're not sure if he's really a Center or is a Right Wing (NHL.com lists him as a Left Wing).

I think we'd all like him more if he was the worst player in our top 9. He's not the guy you want to rely on. He should be the 4th or 5th PK forward or our 8th or 9th powerplay player. I honestly think he ends up as a 4th liner once all is said and done. If a team sees him as a top 6 guy then go ahead and trade him, but otherwise I'm fine with keeping him.

Wait, isn't this thread supposed to be about goalies?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think we'd all like him more if he was the worst player in our top 9. He's not the guy you want to rely on. He should be the 4th or 5th PK forward or our 8th or 9th powerplay player. I honestly think he ends up as a 4th liner once all is said and done. If a team sees him as a top 6 guy then go ahead and trade him, but otherwise I'm fine with keeping him.

Wait, isn't this thread supposed to be about goalies?
Maybe Compher should be our 3rd goalie.

Problem solved ;)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did anyone listen to the Burgundy Radio pod recently? TV said in it that there’s a Czech interview with Frankie where he says the injury was to his hip and he suffered it in the first game against Dallas, and then finally got so bad he had to unfit himself. We kinda already knew something was way wrong but it’s nice to get some more information to that end.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Did anyone listen to the Burgundy Radio pod recently? TV said in it that there’s a Czech interview with Frankie where he says the injury was to his hip and he suffered it in the first game against Dallas, and then finally got so bad he had to unfit himself. We kinda already knew something was way wrong but it’s nice to get some more information to that end.
A hip injury is one of the worst place for a goalie to get injured as it limits agility and mobility.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Sakic spoke about our goalie situation in his video press conference today. He reiterated that he's happy with our two NHL goalies and that they just got unlucky with injuries.

In the AHL he wants Werner to play a big role again, together with Miska.

On the possibility of signing another 3rd goalie he basically said that we'll see the same approach as this year, whereby we'll see how things progress and maybe make a move "if the time is right" (i.e. at the deadline).

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Sakic spoke about our goalie situation in his video press conference today. He reiterated that he's happy with our two NHL goalies and that they just got unlucky with injuries.

On the possibility of signing another 3rd goalie he basically said that we'll see the same approach as this year, whereby we'll see how things progress and maybe make a move "if the time is right" (i.e. at the deadline).

I didn't take that to mean a deadline deal per se. What I did take that to mean is anyone we acquire is going to be at best in a 1A 1B situation with Werner. I also read between the lines there and think that if Werner and/or Miska struggles, that's when we might see another move. I'm frankly disappointed as there were plenty of good AHL goalies available we could have signed, but I'm ready to switch mindsets to just cheering for our guys. Miska actually really excites me, since he put up amazing numbers last year and could be a guy who just took some time to figure things out and he'll be awesome from now on. I see him as a very, very dark horse option to be our backup at some point.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Last year, he acquired Bibeau during training camp, so maybe that's the plan again this year?

Either way, my one and only minor gripe with this offseason so far is the lack of addressing the #3G spot. Trusting Werner and Miska there is a risk I'm not sure is worth taking when #3 goalies are so easy to acquire.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The way I understood Sakic was that he is going to see how Werner/Miska are going to do this season and if he has to he will get a #3G at the TDL. Not that I hope for our NHL goalies to get injured but if it is the case hopefully Werner can show he can fill that role. A while ago I posted Werner's stats to show the difference between at least one day of rest versus B2B. They were night and day. With at least one day of rest between starts Werner was one of the best goalie in the AHL and that was only his first year in NA. If he can find more consistencies I think he can be that #3G. As I said when I posted those stats there are usually no B2B in the playoffs. Below are the stats I am talking about:

Overall: 2.92 GAA, .909 SV%
Games with at least one day of rest: 2.59 GAA, .924 SV%
Second games of B2B when he played both games: 4.87 GAA, .802 SV%

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The way I understood Sakic was that he is going to see how Werner/Miska are going to do this season and if he has to he will get a #3G at the TDL. Not that I hope for our NHL goalies to get injured but if it is the case hopefully Werner can show he can fill that role. A while ago I posted Werner's stats to show the difference between at least one day of rest versus B2B. They were night and day. With at least one day of rest between starts Werner was one of the best goalie in the AHL and that was only his first year in NA. If he can find more consistencies I think he can be that #3G. As I said when I posted those stats there are usually no B2B in the playoffs. Below are the stats I am talking about:

Overall: 2.92 GAA, .909 SV%
Games with at least one day of rest: 2.59 GAA, .924 SV%
Second games of B2B when he played both games: 4.87 GAA, .802 SV%
Looks like he needs to spend some more time in the gym with a conditioning coach. That's a slight on him though, but just something that could potentially helps him improve his consistency quite a bit, because it looks like he wears out physically a lot based on those stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad