Ott's spear on Chara

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Nope.

From the NHL rulebook:

"Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade"

Want to retract your statement?

No because they call upstickting someone in the nuts a spear almost 99% of the time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Actually it's not. Not even close. It's a slash, but not even close to a spear. To be a spear, you have to hit your opponent with the toe or blade of your stick. He Hit Subban halfway up the shaft of his stick.

62.1 Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point
of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What year did this event referenced in the title happen?

2013?

We're talking about Steve Ott here? He speared Chara?

I wonder what Steve Ott is doing these days, I hope he's enjoying retirement.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What year did this event referenced in the title happen?

2013?

We're talking about Steve Ott here? He speared Chara?

I wonder what Steve Ott is doing these days, I hope he's enjoying retirement.

It happened Saturday. What are you talking about?

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I think brutal spears like this should be more penalized than a fine. It's going to take someone losing a testicle for the league to start punishing it.

I mean i know its not common, but kessel is playing on 1 nut, I bet he would be pissed if someone ruined his chances of having a kid by doing this. Also debrusk had a slapshot there that swelled him up to the size of a tennis ball, concussions suck and so does loosing/breaking a nut.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The league allowed one of their TV teams (the Bruins) to take cheap shots all the time when they were a premier team. Bruins are now just a middling team, so the Bruins won't have League rules for 29 teams and the Campbell rules for Boston.

Marchand, Ott, Gallagher, good players (well maybe not Ott) are guys who just love getting their "shots" in and then want the refs to come in and save them when a scrum ensures.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Outside of his stanchion hit... what dirty stuff? If Chara played dirty he'd be filling hospitals.

Even on that play he was just rubbing him out into the boards like what happens every single game and it was a freak accident. Chara has no history of being any more dirty than almost any other player.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
The league allowed one of their TV teams (the Bruins) to take cheap shots all the time when they were a premier team. Bruins are now just a middling team, so the Bruins won't have League rules for 29 teams and the Campbell rules for Boston.

Marchand, Ott, Gallagher, good players (well maybe not Ott) are guys who just love getting their "shots" in and then want the refs to come in and save them when a scrum ensures.

That's a myth and a really stupid one if you actually look at the way things went and to look at the stats. As a matter of fact, they had to deal with a stricter set of rules because some people continue to perpetuate this myth and they are always under intense scrutiny and they have been for a long, long time.

People saying that Campbell did anything for the Bruins are just ridiculous and I assume they are jealous of how good the Bruins were.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines

It has gone the other way, Pastrnak 2 game suspension was a joke, should have been just a penalty, no history and bamm 2 games. Meahwhile Shaw gets off from home boy Quintal, like all the Subban slewfoots were deemed ok but its just the Bruins I see, lol. I do remember Crosby nut speared Moore of the Rangers and nothing was said at all. Depends who it is I guess.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What bothers me here: for a spear, you know exactly what the intentions are for a player - yet Ott gets fine.

There have been a few borderline hits - intention is impossible to define in these instances - and there have been suspensions....makes no sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad