Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
FWIW, Senators fans have an unhealthy obsession with J.J Peterka.

Well, we picked Roby Jarventie right in front of him to everyone's surprise and eventual chagrin. Senators fans saw a lot of Peterka given that we were already following Stutzle.

I agree with the premise that his draft value has gone up given his level of improvement since being drafted. He's played in a higher level league as a Junior aged player against grown men and excelled.

I'm not sure what else you would be looking for from a 7th overall pick.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
But value wise, Peterka has the value of ~10th overall pick if he were being shopped.

If a team, like Minnesota for example, were trading Fiala, they would likely value Peterka and the 7th very similarly.

I just dont know how you can say that so confidently.

I almost promise that if you asked Minnesota fans in a poll what they would prefer - Peterka or the 7th OV pick - the results would be staggering in favor of the pick.

Like we saw with Batherson - his road to stardom in the NHL was anything but a sure thing even after his incredible play down in the minors.

Even if the value is most likely close in reality - I just cant see any team passing on the 7th in favor or Peterka under any circumstances.

Say what you will about the strength of the draft, but you really should have enough faith in your amateur scouting to draft a very solid NHLer when your picking at number 7. Its a great spot to be picking at in reality, and you dont have to go far back in history to see that its a great zone to hit a homerun. Lucky number 7 is a real thing.

People get carried away with pre draft narratives anyways imo, and seriously underestimate just how talented the kids coming up are.. This isnt the 90s or even the 2000s anymore where it was laughably thin some years. The US program has changed the quality of the talent pool in a big way. Shout out to the Swiss and Germans becoming a very real factor as well.

This is not the NBA with the crazy level of star player movement each off season.. And the 7th pick is still by far the best chance to get a top level player under control for the better part of a decade in this case.

Reactions: MardyBum

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Would Ottawa be interested in trading up to 3rd overall? I was thinking about reuniting Jarventie with Maccelli and Hayton.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I just dont know how you can say that so confidently.

I almost promise that if you asked Minnesota fans in a poll what they would prefer - Peterka or the 7th OV pick - the results would be staggering in favor of the pick.

Like we saw with Batherson - his road to stardom in the NHL was anything but a sure thing even after his incredible play down in the minors.

Even if the value is most likely close in reality - I just cant see any team passing on the 7th in favor or Peterka under any circumstances.

Say what you will about the strength of the draft, but you really should have enough faith in your amateur scouting to draft a very solid NHLer when your picking at number 7. Its a great spot to be picking at in reality, and you dont have to go far back in history to see that its a great zone to hit a homerun. Lucky number 7 is a real thing.

People get carried away with pre draft narratives anyways imo, and seriously underestimate just how talented the kids coming up are.. This isnt the 90s or even the 2000s anymore where it was laughably thin some years. The US program has changed the quality of the talent pool in a big way. Shout out to the Swiss and Germans becoming a very real factor as well.

This is not the NBA with the crazy level of star player movement each off season.. And the 7th pick is still by far the best chance to get a top level player under control for the better part of a decade in this case.
Curious, would you trade Pinto for a top ten selection this draft?

If you wanted more realism maybe ignore D+2 when you consider it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What did I miss that the Wild would trade their 25 year old second leading scorer at this point in time?
He has developed very well over the last 3 seasons in Minny.
You have missed a lot . BG has more or less alluded to him being moved and they simply cannot afford him under the cap . It’s been talked about tons . He is as good as gone

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Curious, would you trade Pinto for a top ten selection this draft?

If you wanted more realism maybe ignore D+2 when you consider it.

Solid question, for real, and I get your angle.

No, I wouldnt trade Pinto for the pick. Not last year either for sure. The sample size he left in the NHL during his D-2 year had me drooling for the D+3.....then injuries rolled in.

Like Peterka, hes just exceeded all expectations since being drafted. Maybe they go top 10 in a redraft.. But Pinto is exactly what we need down the middle in the top 9 right now. He meshes perfectly with the Sens style and coaching staff. So no I dont trade him, personally.

But having said that, I would also fully understand if not one single team would rather him over the 7th (or even 10th) pick at the draft. This year or last year.

Just like Peterka - who Im equally sure that Buffalo would rather not trade as of today either -we are just not going to get proper market value on these guys compared to the high pick. At least at this point in their careers.

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Mangiapane and Lucic for 7th, Watson and Del Zotto
I hope that 7th is a 7th round draft pick.

Mangiapane is not getting a seventh overall pick, especially when you attach but-out proof Lucic to him.

Team loves Watson, only has one year left and it’s not like it’s a ridiculous AAV. Del Zotto would be nice to boot, but not at that cost.

Doubt Lucic would waive to come here anyways.

7th overall > Mangiapane
Watson > Lucic
Del Zotto doesn’t swing the tide

And isn’t Mangiapane a UFA after this? Terrible thought about this proposal if so.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Mangiapane and Lucic for 7th, Watson and Del Zotto
I like Mangiapane and I would consider 7th overall for him straight up if he was signed to decent term at a reasonable price. Not interested when he has zero term and looking for a big payday though.

I'd rather just keep the pick and go overpay a bit for somebody in free agency.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Because eichel coming off major neck surgery is even comparable
I mean they are comparable in the sense that I can compare them, Eichel is the much more premium asset regardless of surgery or not.

If you were paying the same price and can have either Fiala or Eichel going forward I’m going with Eichel.

If you think you’re getting that value for Fiala or think that Fiala is more valuable than Eichel going forward, all the more power to you.

If the market for Fiala is three first round picks+ of value I would gladly decline and hope the Senators would too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad