Post-Game Talk: Ottawa vs Tampa Bay

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Michalek is currently making 4 mil and thats based on better past play. Maybe he wants to play with his brother once before he retires ala Scott Niedermayer. Michalek is 32 and will be 33 next year. He's also had injury issues.

I think we could get him around 3-4 mil term will likely be the most important number for him rather then yearly dollars

Wouldn't you rather spend 5-6 and get a Beachemin or Ehrhoff?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We don't need a RD pp guy. We gave Karlsson who plays 65% of PP time... And Ceci or even a forward. We don't lack for a RD on the PP.

Gonchar however is UFA? On a one year deal I take him maybe?

Michalek at $4M could be a sound investment.

We literally have 3 good D. Period. We need more. You have a better RD then Boro becomes more effective. Trade one of Wier or Cowen for some return. Not averse to Michalek at all.

I never said RD pp guy. We need a lefty for the PP to play opposite of Karl. That's the biggest need. That and a good play making forward for that role as well (cough cough Da Costa)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Oh yeah, also wanna say Jean-Gabriel Pageau is the heart and soul of this team now. He's come in and given us a replacement for Chris Neil in a modern NHL without enforcers. (Don't take this as disrespect for Neil, I love him)

I don't think Pageau is considered a Neil replacement at all. Different position, different style.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think Pageau is considered a Neil replacement at all. Different position, different style.

Agreed. I mean it in a more spiritual sense. The guy is 5'9, hits everything and doesn't back down. He keeps everyone accountable physically imo. He's become the team's most physical player. I don't mean Pageau has come in and filled the role of pugilist, I mean he's now the team's motor. He can get out there and change the momentum with hit or physical play. He's the toughness and backbone.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wouldn't you rather spend 5-6 and get a Beachemin or Ehrhoff?

Of course. I dont think they'll cost that much though tbh. With all these guys i think term is the most important thing anyways. My priority would be to acquire a top 4 LHD then a bottom pairing RHD thats proven to be reliable. I think we could do both or even trade pieces for those. likely have to trade some players to free up money though.

Ideally you get rid of Cowen(not good enough), Wier(money reasons for a better player), Phillips(not good enough), Gryba(not good enough), Neil(not good enough), Greening(not good enough) and if you get ballsy maybe even Anderson or lehner and re-sign Hammond for cheap.

Now i'm sure most people are saying lots of these guys are untradeable. I'm not so sure.

For example trade Cowen and Anderson with Greening for a top 4 LHD. Anderson would be the jewel, some teams might find Cowen attractive and greening is a dumping.

Maybe trade Cowen+Gryba for a pick and a bottom pairing RHD you think can play well.

theres lots of options you just have to get a bit creative.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Oh yeah, also wanna say Jean-Gabriel Pageau is the heart and soul of this team now. He's come in and given us a replacement for Chris Neil in a modern NHL without enforcers. (Don't take this as disrespect for Neil, I love him)

Pageau is the bomb. He is utterly relentless. Smart, tough, physical and he has real talent. He is a pest and only has like 2 penalties all year. He had drawn 3-4-5 times as many PPs. He is boss. He even comes back from injury tonight. Guy is a warrior. Still a small chance he finds offensive upside like Hoffman and Stone have.

And Lazar is the same kinda package in a younger, bigger, stronger body.

I have said it before... But Pageau reminds me of a younger Doug Gilmour. Same type of body. Probably not quite that offensive upside.. But the will and compete level is so similar. That is not a comparision I take lightly. Gilmour was my favourite player at times. In Calgary and Toronto. His nickname us apt too for Pageau. Killer. If Pageau is Gilmour-lite it will be amazing for the Senators.

He is also like Boro. An absolute warrior.

With Boro as a physical bottom pair guy who will jump i. Front of a bullet and keep playing, Pageau as a guts and grinder guy with skill, Stone as a Big savvy crazy stick guy as talented as anyone, Hoffman as a wildcard sniper with crazy speed. Lazar as a gutsy up and comer who does everything the right way. And hammond as some kind of unconcious never rattled goalie who comes up big all the time at the key points of games... We are set!!!! We add that to a roster with the best D in the league and Methot, Turris, Zibby, Anderson, MacArthur, Michalek, Ryan. We are rocking. We are like Tampa. Stacked with talent. All we need is another solid 20 minute tyoe of D-Man. And heck Peumpel too. He is ready to be a rookie next year like all the rooks this year!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed. I mean it in a more spiritual sense. The guy is 5'9, hits everything and doesn't back down. He keeps everyone accountable physically imo. He's become the team's most physical player. I don't mean Pageau has come in and filled the role of pugilist, I mean he's now the team's motor. He can get out there and change the momentum with hit or physical play. He's the toughness and backbone.

Definitely agree.

And agree with Sens Rule as well...I definitely see some Gilmour in Pageau's game.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Give Pageau two scoring wingers and he'll find his offensive upside pronto. JG always adapts to the role he's given. Wouldn't be surprised if he got around 40 points next season if this happens.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Pageau could be a 40 point player in the right situation imo. Remember this is a guy who was goal a game for 23 games with gatineau before being traded and getting injured. Not sure he'll be more though. Stone and Hoffman both were top or top 3 players in their respective leagues and i think most of us see 45-65 points from them in the future.

I wonder where pageau's point and goal totals are in the Q if he stays healthy and plays the whole year in gatineau. He might have more offensive upside then myself and some people think. Had he put up 100 points and 60 goals i think me and others would be singing a different tune

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Pageau could be a 40 point player in the right situation imo. Remember this is a guy who was goal a game for 23 games with gatineau before being traded and getting injured. Not sure he'll be more though. Stone and Hoffman both were top or top 3 players in their respective leagues and i think most of us see 45-65 points from them in the future.

I wonder where pageau's point and goal totals are in the Q if he stays healthy and plays the whole year in gatineau. He might have more offensive upside then myself and some people think. Had he put up 100 points and 60 goals i think me and others would be singing a different tune

See Stone and Hoffman and Pageau have serious pedigree. For that matter so does Lazar. All of them owned their junior leagues. Lazar owned them younger and has no possible deficits to his game... But the others had size or speed or something holding them
Back from being top picks. Stone got drafted before he broke out. Hoffman always was a late arriver. Pageau is a scout, coaches, teammates, GMs darling but he was always thought of as too small. To me. And I am no wise scout or anything... Being MVP or leading scorer or shutting down the best of the best in the playoffs of CHL is a monster feat.

To me these guys always had pedigree. Granted Stone and Hoff got drafted before their breakout years and Pageau was really small.. Lazar was maybe overdrafted because he does all the things the other 3 people I said do... But younger and with no glaring issues.

It takes a great player to dominate a junior league. Many have done it and not panned out... But I venture to think the Stones and Hoffmans outnumber the Gamache's and Locke's.

I think it goes like... If you dominate a whole league... It doesn't matter how... You did it. Even if you are slow or small. Unless you lack the desire and will... You are a winner.

I love the pick of Pageau. You go to scout others for a top ten pick and a short 160lb local guy owns them in the playoffs and you pick him in later rounds? Gold. F it is Platnium!

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
See Stone and Hoffman and Pageau have serious pedigree. For that matter so does Lazar. All of them owned their junior leagues. Lazar owned them younger and has no possible deficits to his game... But the others had size or speed or something holding them
Back from being top picks. Stone got drafted before he broke out. Hoffman always was a late arriver. Pageau is a scout, coaches, teammates, GMs darling but he was always thought of as too small. To me. And I am no wise scout or anything... Being MVP or leading scorer or shutting down the best of the best in the playoffs of CHL is a monster feat.

To me these guys always had pedigree. Granted Stone and Hoff got drafted before their breakout years and Pageau was really small.. Lazar was maybe overdrafted because he does all the things the other 3 people I said do... But younger and with no glaring issues.

It takes a great player to dominate a junior league. Many have done it and not panned out... But I venture to think the Stones and Hoffmans outnumber the Gamache's and Locke's.

I think it goes like... If you dominate a whole league... It doesn't matter how... You did it. Even if you are slow or small. Unless you lack the desire and will... You are a winner.

I love the pick of Pageau. You go to scout others for a top ten pick and a short 160lb local guy owns them in the playoffs and you pick him in later rounds? Gold. F it is Platnium!

Well with Locke and Gamache they were small skill players with below average skating for their size. You can be small, you can be a bad skater and you can lack tenacity and be an NHL player....You cant be all three.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'm so happy they gave Pager the green light to get a place in Ottawa a few weeks ago.

His play didn't warrent the yo-yoing back and forth to Bingo and back. Being stuck with the 2 way deal screwed him. He deserves to be here in the NHL and it was long overdue.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm so happy they gave Pager the green light to get a place in Ottawa a few weeks ago.

His play didn't warrent the yo-yoing back and forth to Bingo and back. Being stuck with the 2 way deal screwed him. He deserves to be here in the NHL and it was long overdue.

He was the best player in training camp. His demotion was politics and contract status. He will never play another AHL game now that he has the head coach's trust.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He was the best player in training camp. His demotion was politics and contract status. He will never play another AHL game now that he has the head coach's trust.

Yup.

A lot of players would have been insulted, sulked or maybe ask for a trade.

Not JGP. This kid is special. He WANTS to be a Senator and was willing to wait out this ******** roller coaster they put him on.

I'm just so happy he has the personality he has or he might not have been so patient.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
This sucks. This team deserves to be in the playoffs. If it weren't for dirtbag Couture we'd be set. That piece of **** has the ugliest face in the game. Ban me I don't give a ****. The Sens deserve to be in the playoffs. Hammond is our Tom Brady. Quote me on that ****. He doesn't get injured and we're in. That piece of garb had to run him. **** him seriously **** that guy. This is literally a miracle run. I'm always negative, but this team deserves props. Who would have believed this. I'm sure we will miss but this team needs to be celebrated. I'm sorry but I'm hammered and sad. This group just deserves better than to be eliminated.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This sucks. This team deserves to be in the playoffs. If it weren't for dirtbag Couture we'd be set. That piece of **** has the ugliest face in the game. Ban me I don't give a ****. The Sens deserve to be in the playoffs. Hammond is our Tom Brady. Quote me on that ****. He doesn't get injured and we're in. That piece of garb had to run him. **** him seriously **** that guy. This is literally a miracle run. I'm always negative, but this team deserves props. Who would have believed this. I'm sure we will miss but this team needs to be celebrated. I'm sorry but I'm hammered and sad. This group just deserves better than to be eliminated.

It may have had to do with Hammond being injured and Anderson playing but the fact is that the team laid 3 eggs in a row and deserved to lose all 3 of those games.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This sucks. This team deserves to be in the playoffs. If it weren't for dirtbag Couture we'd be set.

If it weren't for our entire season from Oct-Dec, we'd be set.

One game is just that - one game.

It may have had to do with Hammond being injured and Anderson playing but the fact is that the team laid 3 eggs in a row and deserved to lose all 3 of those games.

Also: this.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I think the Toronto game was entirely winnable, and whatever happened in between the goal posts wasn't the reason they lost. I feel like that's just as big a reason we aren't still sitting in a wildcard spot as any you mentioned. The Florida game though I'll agree that with Hammond in net we probably get at least a point.

Anyway, can't cry over spilled milk. They've won two in a row now and Hammond's healthy. Just gotta run the board and hope Boston falters a bit.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I agree he was trying to interfere a bit and knock him off his stride, but Kreiders seemed more malicious. I guess I'm just nit picking because I love Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad