Ottawa U18 Part 4

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Could I get some more info on a couple Kanata players? I was wondering why Quinn was out producing Johnston by so much? In terms one viewing I have Johnston was the much better player.

Last edited:

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Could I get some more info on a couple Kanata players? I was wondering why Quinn was out producing Johnston by so much? In terms one viewing I have Johnston was the much better player.

IMO Quinn is a much better point producer. He has natural gifted hands and goal scoring instinct. Quinn has had the luxury of playing with a gifted passer (2000) and playing on the top power play line as well. Johnston is a better skater and harder worker and he does not cash in as often but is able to create solo scoring chances off the rush. He is effective on penalty kills as he puts pressure on the puck carrier. Again my opinion and hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
IMO Quinn is a much better point producer. He has natural gifted hands and goal scoring instinct. Quinn has had the luxury of playing with a gifted passer (2000) and playing on the top power play line as well. Johnston is a better skater and harder worker and he does not cash in as often but is able to create solo scoring chances off the rush. He is effective on penalty kills as he puts pressure on the puck carrier. Again my opinion and hope this helps.

Agree with that and Quinn is one of those kids "right place at right time"

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Found this on OHL draft blog

This HEO Midget AAA pilot project has definetly watered down the hockey in Ottawa this year. It's been a bad idea from the $tart. Last years benchmark of 22 players drafted from Ottawa is in serious jeopardy. Keeping in mind that it is also difficult for elite level players to play with and against kids that have played AA or worse their entire lives, some have been more fortunate than others playing on more balanced, better teams. Most of our opinions echo the same sentiments but OHL teams look to fill specific needs and I believe Ottawa has some players, not a lot, that can help. The OHL Priority selection draft in April will answer some of our concerns.
The only 2001 locks in HEO, in my opinion, Cavallin G, Paputsakis G, Rose D, Hogue D, Coltart D, Mack D ( still belongs to HEO ), Fabbro F, Johnson F, Quinn F, Joe Carroll F. That's 10 guys...a long way from 22. Hopefully 2000's make up the difference. Highly unlikely. This project will be a huge BUST if this happens.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
This HEO Midget AAA pilot project has definetly watered down the hockey in Ottawa this year. It's been a bad idea from the $tart. Last years benchmark of 22 players drafted from Ottawa is in serious jeopardy. Keeping in mind that it is also difficult for elite level players to play with and against kids that have played AA or worse their entire lives, some have been more fortunate than others playing on more balanced, better teams. Most of our opinions echo the same sentiments but OHL teams look to fill specific needs and I believe Ottawa has some players, not a lot, that can help. The OHL Priority selection draft in April will answer some of our concerns.
The only 2001 locks in HEO, in my opinion, Cavallin G, Paputsakis G, Rose D, Hogue D, Coltart D, Mack D ( still belongs to HEO ), Fabbro F, Johnson F, Quinn F, Joe Carroll F. That's 10 guys...a long way from 22. Hopefully 2000's make up the difference. Highly unlikely. This project will be a huge BUST if this happens.

Also found this on the OHL draft blog

There's a lot of politics in play, so while we can all agree that the project really isn't benefitting the development of high-end players, that's not necessarily going to be the case for the people making the decisions that be.

We shall see, though. Personally, I think AAA hockey should be primarily geared towards fostering high-end development, and it's fair to say that the existing setup really isn't conducive to that.

There's already six 02's who have left Ottawa and I suspect you're going to see another batch of them bolt next year, making what would have otherwise been a top league toil back toward mediocrity again.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Also found this on the OHL draft blog

There's a lot of politics in play, so while we can all agree that the project really isn't benefitting the development of high-end players, that's not necessarily going to be the case for the people making the decisions that be.

We shall see, though. Personally, I think AAA hockey should be primarily geared towards fostering high-end development, and it's fair to say that the existing setup really isn't conducive to that.

There's already six 02's who have left Ottawa and I suspect you're going to see another batch of them bolt next year, making what would have otherwise been a top league toil back toward mediocrity again.

OHL should just make their own pilot project and make two teams in GTHL minor Midget for top prospects outside of their immediate area.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
OHL should just make their own pilot project and make two teams in GTHL minor Midget for top prospects outside of their immediate area.

Then OHL would be in minor hockey and they would be like the CCHL.
I am against that.
Minor is minor and junior is junior.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
Why is last year's 22 the benchmark? Its also 21 as you can't count Castleman as he would fall under the Minor Midget / Jr B system.

There was 29 the year before U18.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Why is last year's 22 the benchmark? Its also 21 as you can't count Castleman as he would fall under the Minor Midget / Jr B system.

If you do not count the two Russians from CIH and the Junior. 20 HEO area players were drafted. Worst number in years.

The year before U 18 using same rules no school, no junior I have 25 HEO area players drafted.

The number will be less this year even when you add in the second year midgets. This year should tell the parents, HEO executive and HEO Minor that the league is not a benefit to our local kids. There is supposed to be a full review but I do not hold out much hope.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
If you do not count the two Russians from CIH and the Junior. 20 HEO area players were drafted. Worst number in years.

The year before U 18 using same rules no school, no junior I have 25 HEO area players drafted.

The number will be less this year even when you add in the second year midgets. This year should tell the parents, HEO executive and HEO Minor that the league is not a benefit to our local kids. There is supposed to be a full review but I do not hold out much hope.

I do not think that there will be more than 8-10 players from 2001 drafted and maybe 4-5 from 2000 drafted. That is 12-15 players from this area. Again this is only my opinion and I am out of touch with the hockey talent elsewhere in the province so maybe the OHL will dig deeper in this area if the talent is not strong elsewhere.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

If the HEO was stocks I owned then I would be very keen to sell my shares off as it seems to be trending down.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I do not think that there will be more than 8-10 players from 2001 drafted and maybe 4-5 from 2000 drafted. That is 12-15 players from this area. Again this is only my opinion and I am out of touch with the hockey talent elsewhere in the province so maybe the OHL will dig deeper in this area if the talent is not strong elsewhere.

I think you are a little low I would think it should be closer to 10 to 15 2001 and 6 to 10 2000. The midget draft is a wild card and the OHL 2001 draft is not deep.
I will have a better idea in a couple of weeks. More to come.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I think you are a little low I would think it should be closer to 10 to 15 2001 and 6 to 10 2000. The midget draft is a wild card and the OHL 2001 draft is not deep.
I will have a better idea in a couple of weeks. More to come.

OHL better be careful and not overlook Ottawa region too much because I am hearing a few 98, 99 and possibly a few 2000s looking at the Q for next season.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
OHL better be careful and not overlook Ottawa region too much because I am hearing a few 98, 99 and possibly a few 2000s looking at the Q for next season.

I think the best of what is there will be scooped up but I am wondering if this league will be somewhat punished for what they are doing by the OHL. Meaning they will not take players in the lower rounds. The Q does appear to be becoming more of an option for players in this area. I know of one for sure who already has a plan to do so.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011

Can a player go to the Q before his 2 years of OHL ownership are over ?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Can a player go to the Q before his 2 years of OHL ownership are over ?

Before the Midget draft a player had to go through the OHL draft twice. I would say same now.

All Ontario players have to be released by the OHL or waived before they can go to the OHL. I think even those that were never drafted.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Before the Midget draft a player had to go through the OHL draft twice. I would say same now.

All Ontario players have to be released by the OHL or waived before they can go to the OHL. I think even those that were never drafted.

Undrafted players have to pass 24 hour waiver but rarely does an OHL team stop it.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Going to the Q is a very good option for some. IMO better than playing in CCHL and hoping for a NCAA D1 scholarship that might never come.

34 NCAA D1 1 scholarships this year. A very high year I think.
1 from CCHL2
33 from CCHL
13 to HEO area players also high this year I think.

HEO area players get 43% of the NCAA D1 scholarships but only make up less than 48% of the CCHL. I am I missing something? Why are there not more HEO area kid in the CCHL? Is it because the CCHL teams can charge more for the out of area kids in there pay to play model. It should be called we make a profit model.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
there will always be good players coming out of Ottawa, IMO though this league does nothing to enhance a players chances, watered down midget and no exposure outside of Ottawa is counter productive compared to other possible options. (a smaller league say 6 teams or the old minor midget system, and let these teams go to other markets for exposure)

Its the same issue Toronto is having with there star basketball players many are leaving the Gta and coming to Ottawa.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
You will have to explain where you got 34 players committed from CCHL this year. I count 20 since August 2016. Don't think you can count players who received commitments prior to that as "this year". Of the 20 since August not sure how many are HEO players. And of the 20 are there any that had commits before they came to CCHL?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
You will have to explain where you got 34 players committed from CCHL this year. I count 20 since August 2016. Don't think you can count players who received commitments prior to that as "this year". Of the 20 since August not sure how many are HEO players. And of the 20 are there any that had commits before they came to CCHL?

You are correct on both counts I just took total listed as of today. Will check and revise. Thank you.

24instigating

Feb 3, 2015
Last year's draft had the lowest number of HEO minor midgets in at least 7 years (this excludes the schools OHA and CIHA).

2010 - 24
2011 - 23
2012 - 24
2013 - 23
2014 - 24
2015 - 25
2016 - 18

Also, from 2010 through 2015, an average of 18 kids were drafted in the first 10 rounds. In 2016, there were 11 kids selected in rounds 1-10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad