Ottawa U18 Part 4

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
It will be similar to last year where the older players will carry their team to victory. I think Kanata has the best chance to win and mainly because their coach knows how to get best of each player. Ottawa is very talented but young and I think if they face a physical team then it maybe tough. CP, Cornwall, Smiths Falls and Gloucester are the other teams that I think might have a shot at making a run for it. CP have guys that can put it in the net and good goalies. Cornwall is a team that can be very physical have a few forwards with good skill, solid D and goalies that are either hot or cold. Smiths Falls has the best goalie in the league with some great forwards and a couple of decent D. Gloucester would win by their defensive game and games would be 1-0, 2-1 maybe 3 goals if lucky. Just my opinion so see how it goes. One game knockouts always gives a better chance of an upset. Cumberland might be the team to watch for that.

I think Kemptville and Smith Falls would be very dangerous in a single elimination game because of their goaltending. I also think that a team needs to have some solid first years contribute. Kanata had a solid first line of second years to do some damage with scoring but relied on a first year goalie and two first year defence. Cumberland also loaded up a strong scoring line with second years as well. I do not see a dominant scoring line like Cumberland put out last season. I do not like the single elimination semi games as it reduces the chances of the best team moving forward.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I think Kemptville and Smith Falls would be very dangerous in a single elimination game because of their goaltending. I also think that a team needs to have some solid first years contribute. Kanata had a solid first line of second years to do some damage with scoring but relied on a first year goalie and two first year defence. Cumberland also loaded up a strong scoring line with second years as well. I do not see a dominant scoring line like Cumberland put out last season. I do not like the single elimination semi games as it reduces the chances of the best team moving forward.

If u18AAA is supposed to get you ready for CCHL then I would use CCHL playoff format. Or top four teams can get a first round bye and bottom 8 teams have a 3 point series to start then go to regular CCHL format and 5 point series. Playoffs also make teams play at home rink for local crowds to get involved in the fun. Showcase semis and finals if league really needed it.

Barberpoles, you are correct there is no dominant scoring line this year and I think a team with older kids leading the way with great supporting first year kids will be the key.

InigoAtOttawa

Nov 17, 2008
Ottawa
If u18AAA is supposed to get you ready for CCHL then I would use CCHL playoff format. Or top four teams can get a first round bye and bottom 8 teams have a 3 point series to start then go to regular CCHL format and 5 point series. Playoffs also make teams play at home rink for local crowds to get involved in the fun. Showcase semis and finals if league really needed it.

Barberpoles, you are correct there is no dominant scoring line this year and I think a team with older kids leading the way with great supporting first year kids will be the key.

There's no dominant scoring line this year at least in part because most teams took 10 forwards. There's no real settled lines on many teams. And it obviously doesn't help that many of the best 2000s never returned.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

Your playoff idea:handclap:

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
There's no dominant scoring line this year at least in part because most teams took 10 forwards. There's no real settled lines on many teams. And it obviously doesn't help that many of the best 2000s never returned.

I believe some teams took 11 forwards. Ouch.

InigoAtOttawa

Nov 17, 2008
Ottawa
I believe some teams took 11 forwards. Ouch.

Yes. Crazy money grab justified by the prospect of injuries...which is why the AP system exists. Adding the extra roster player didn't reduce costs, it simply generated extra revenue. Goodness knows where that goes.

I like some things about the league, but I hate more. And the lack of transparency over cash is the worst. Never mind how a private business in a pay to play model can own the rights to 15 and 16 year old hockey players!

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
TopChed65
vCash: 500

Do any of the kids from Ottawa have a shot at getting drafted?

I thought the hockey was really poor when I watched them last week. Im sure some of you guys have ab etter "bigger picture" than I do.

Found this on HFBoards OHL draft.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
watched about 11 hours in Pembroke and another 9-10 Monday, that was painful, need to reduce to maybe 6 teams would be a good league, its like watching IP at times rarely strings of passes put together

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
watched about 11 hours in Pembroke and another 9-10 Monday, that was painful, need to reduce to maybe 6 teams would be a good league, its like watching IP at times rarely strings of passes put together

I think the quality of hockey has dropped this year mainly due to the weakness of the 2001 age group. I believe that most teams this year would lose to last years teams. I also believe that taking extra players on each team is aiding in driving down the quality of play.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
TopChed65
vCash: 500

Do any of the kids from Ottawa have a shot at getting drafted?

I thought the hockey was really poor when I watched them last week. Im sure some of you guys have ab etter "bigger picture" than I do.

Found this on HFBoards OHL draft.

I think the 2001 group is a step down from the talent from the 2000 age group from last year. There is no Rippon or Noel in this age group. Right now there is not one player found in the top 100 players on the hockey prospects scouting report that was just released. The all star game imo did not help any of the areas prospects. Several 2000 aged kids may draw attention.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I think the quality of hockey has dropped this year mainly due to the weakness of the 2001 age group. I believe that most teams this year would lose to last years teams. I also believe that taking extra players on each team is aiding in driving down the quality of play.

Speaking of extra players, Kemptville is 1-4 since taking that 2001 back from GTHL. I watched him play a few times and he is a very poor skater.

I honestly don't think league is much weaker then last year. Maybe no dominant lines but definitely some players with skill on each team. Only problem is 2001s are physically smaller compared to 2000s of last year. I find goaltending a lot stronger this year overall or at least more consistent.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Speaking of extra players, Kemptville is 1-4 since taking that 2001 back from GTHL. I watched him play a few times and he is a very poor skater.

I honestly don't think league is much weaker then last year. Maybe no dominant lines but definitely some players with skill on each team. Only problem is 2001s are physically smaller compared to 2000s of last year. I find goaltending a lot stronger this year overall or at least more consistent.

I agree that the goalies overall are stronger and Kemptville has put the team second by taking another player.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I think the 2001 group is a step down from the talent from the 2000 age group from last year. There is no Rippon or Noel in this age group. Right now there is not one player found in the top 100 players on the hockey prospects scouting report that was just released. The all star game imo did not help any of the areas prospects. Several 2000 aged kids may draw attention.

Could be more 2000 DOB taken from Ottawa than 2001 DOB.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Could be more 2000 DOB taken from Ottawa than 2001 DOB.

That would be interesting. How many Major Midget AAA players were drafted per year into the OHL. I would say the average was.....zero.

I have no idea how to interpret that if it does happen, success, failure or otherwise.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
That might very well happen now that OHL has those 4 extra rounds this year for major Midget AAA players.

5 if you pick a goalie.(I heard) Just checked the hockey prospects top 100 and not an HEO player to be found. Best is GC at 27 who moved from Ottawa and fell from the teens on the list put out earlier in the season. No list is perfect but it looks like grey skies for the Ottawa area kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
5 if you pick a goalie.(I heard) Just checked the hockey prospects top 100 and not an HEO player to be found. Best is GC at 27 who moved from Ottawa and fell from the teens on the list put out earlier in the season. No list is perfect but it looks like grey skies for the Ottawa area kids.

Is there any list for 2000 and older players?

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Is there any list for 2000 and older players?

There was no list for 2000s on that particular website. My membership runs out in a couple of days also so I just recently took a look and the list is for February. They also have fewer scoutings of games they attended and reported on this season compared to last year.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

Just looking at the 2000 players on HEO u18AAA and most have similar stats to last year with a few big increases. So is this league really that much weaker this year?

I always here that argument each year when CP loses their players in CCHL but somehow they have won Fred Page 3 years in a row.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
I don't like the league either, but there are definitely kids getting drafted out of this league

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
there will always be good players coming out of Ottawa, IMO though this league does nothing to enhance a players chances, watered down midget and no exposure outside of Ottawa is counter productive compared to other possible options. (a smaller league say 6 teams or the old minor midget system, and let these teams go to other markets for exposure)

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Just looking at the 2000 players on HEO u18AAA and most have similar stats to last year with a few big increases. So is this league really that much weaker this year?

I always here that argument each year when CP loses their players in CCHL but somehow they have won Fred Page 3 years in a row.

I think it comes down to the 99 and 2000 being stronger than the 2000 and 2001. Extra players on each roster are not helping the quality of play IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad