Post-Game Talk: Ottawa @ Toronto HNIC 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Whoa.

Need to infuse a couple vets in there. Hunwick is still under contract, but I'm not sure he helps. Maybe on the bottom pairing.

Need a vet top 4 defenseman to help the kids I think.

I have an idea, why don't we trade for Phaneuf? :dunno:

:sarcasm:

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Seriously.... Wtf was he supposed to do there? Marincin might as well have scored on us himself, it was that bad.

Are you saying he isnt capable of raising his save percentage above second last in the league? If he really can't do better, that's telling.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Bernier is very poised in net, and makes a lot of saves look very simple... He's one of the most composed goalies in net, very minimal movements. But... He's not a battler... When players get in his crease he folds, if he has difficulty seeing the puck, he seems to quit... He will make the occasional big save, but more often than not, he gets beat.... And his confidence is in a million pieces right now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I see those points and I agree with them. I'm all for the tank but I just don't like purposely sitting Nylander and Kapanen on the bench for basically a whole period just because we want to lose a game. I saw the kid line out maximum 2 times in the 3rd period. The other 19 minutes was 3rd line-4th line crap outside of Soshnikov..Like I said I'm all for the tank but I'd like to see the kids out more when the game is on the line.

That's what I'm fussing about..I know for sure that Babcock isn't that stupid to put out the 4th line in the O-zone in the 3rd period tied 2-2...no way he's that dumb. I was watching and getting annoyed that Nylander wasn't out there. I just want to see these kids in pressure packed situations and see how they do.

are you mentally ok?

your saying babcock is coaching games to lose?

brother you really really really need to get a grip on reality

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Thought all 6 D struggled tonight, seemed like there was a lot of mixing and matching going on with the pairings, maybe to find a pair that would settle things down?

Thought the 4th line was pretty solid, the only forwards that were getting seriously on my **** were Holland and Grabner. They still seem stuck in that passive, coasting style from the end of last year. With Grabner's speed it seems like he should be an absolute nightmare of a forechecker, and Holland's got some skill and size, but won't keep his feet moving. They need heart transplants from some of the younger guys.

after seeing the jump and heart in the kids

I'm starting to believe that hollands days are numbered

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was at the game. It was nice to feel a buzz in the building. The kids played great.

The culprits on defense are not going to be here long term, so I try to take solace in that. Other than those breakdowns, we played a very solid game.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
UPDATE
rielly - zaitsev (premature i know)
gardiner - ?demers(or another free agent signing)
loov - carrick

corrado not sure yet
percy waivers or trade
harrington waivers or trade
marincin(hopefully gone)
hunwick(hopefully gone)

I feel the above 5 are not good enough yet, corrado im still iffy about
but the other 4 are done unless they have a crazy summer as far as im concerned.
loov seems to have talent as does carrick, i could be wrong but on the bottom pair they would be solid, both can skate, one is a bit more offensive and the other likes to hit so they should compliment each other. For those saying they want vets, gardiner in a way is a vet, and zaitsev if he works out has a fair amount of khl experience and if we can sign or even trade for a top 4 d vet that would be more then enough experience on the back end imo .

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
This was one of his best games of the year, yet he gave up 3. Gotta bail your teammates out occasionally or you lose. Thankfully, we want to lose right now.

Naw, He's had better games and has been decent overall since the AHL stint (but still inconsistent).

His save % since then is miles better than it was and the soft goals have almost disappeared.

Looking forward to seeing him with a clean slate next year and even if we're dead set against keeping him, we can sell high on him at the deadline if he's done well.

It must be maddening to have that defense in front of him as they give up better quality chances than our forwards have produced all year too. Save% doesnt discriminate quality.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
UPDATE
rielly - zaitsev (premature i know)
gardiner - ?demers(or another free agent signing)
loov - carrick

corrado not sure yet
percy waivers or trade
harrington waivers or trade
marincin(hopefully gone)
hunwick(hopefully gone)

I feel the above 5 are not good enough yet, corrado im still iffy about
but the other 4 are done unless they have a crazy summer as far as im concerned.
loov seems to have talent as does carrick, i could be wrong but on the bottom pair they would be solid, both can skate, one is a bit more offensive and the other likes to hit so they should compliment each other. For those saying they want vets, gardiner in a way is a vet, and zaitsev if he works out has a fair amount of khl experience and if we can sign or even trade for a top 4 d vet that would be more then enough experience on the back end imo .

Pretty much.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner -

Are the only 3 I am positive will be there opening night. Which is about right.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hunwick starting to break down a bit coming back from injury and playing top pairing minutes and against top nhl players every night

but hes been solid for us, hes a very good 3-4 dman, and a great 5-6 guy...hes on the team for sure to start d year

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
hunwick starting to break down a bit coming back from injury and playing top pairing minutes and against top nhl players every night

but hes been solid for us, hes a very good 3-4 dman, and a great 5-6 guy...hes on the team for sure to start d year

Agreed. Unsure where all the hate for a 1m defenceman is coming from.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
4th would be Chychurn, right? That's a problem?

Not at all. Chychrun is a Rielly type prospect, perhaps even better. He's got great wheels and good offensive talent. Only knock is that he hasn't improved much on his offense since last year but I don't think it will be a problem, he also plays on s team that didn't score much before Konecny came along. We're good anywhere we pick 1-4. I would like to pick 1st but I'll be happy with Chychrun. He's a stud...likely plays in the NHL next season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Laich nylander family connection is freaky!!
I wonder if Willie will assist on Laich's last nhl goal?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hunwick looked good early on but he's been exposed
Granted he plays the hardest comp( even more then reilly)
But he plays with a great partner yet he's a -9.3% cosri rel
Not only that but he's undersized and gets pushed off the puck easy, only saving grace is his skating
So yeah no defs NOT a top4 dman maybe bottom pairing but I rather carrick and loov there. Loov brings a good hitting game
And carrick does what hunwick can do yet 9 years younger more room to grow and even bigger then him
And if you still think he's not that even giradri has BETTER adv stats then hunwick and we all know how bad he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad