Ottawa Tomahawks

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good lord, that's scary. That means that they will either:
1) come up with an entirely new name and logo in 24 hours. It will be the visual equivalent of that 5 page essay you did back in 1st year university, in3 hours before it was due, and were happy with a D+ grade because the alternative was getting a zero... or
2) they are going to go with whatever was the "runner up" name/logo that couldn't beat out "Tomahawks" in the vetting process. I can only imagine what other names were on the list that made them think "Tomahawks" was awesome: Ottawa "Carpetbaggers", Ottawa "XTreem Masheens", Ottawa "Onslaught", or something equally as terrible.

As usual, I'm secretly hoping they call themselves the Capital City Goofballs.

I would support that name 100% :yo:

achillesheel

Feb 26, 2010
Aww man! Page 1, I was really feeling the "Larry David" logo.

Page 2, team name and logo get the chop.

It was a wild ride, Tomahawks.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
APPARENTLY THEY WONT CALL IT THE TOMAHAWKS DUE TOTHE NEGATIVE REACTION!!!!!
lowercase.

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
I find this ridiculous. We can't name a team in this town without the whole darn city getting upset. It's the same time each time. Name gets mentioned, immediate reaction: awful name, no good.

The should just call themselves the Ottawa unnameables. :shakehead

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I find this ridiculous. We can't name a team in this town without the whole darn city getting upset. It's the same time each time. Name gets mentioned, immediate reaction: awful name, no good.

The should just call themselves the Ottawa unnameables. :shakehead

:handclap:

It is quite ridiculous, this is just a city that loves to complain, anonymously of course..

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Ottawa Complaining Turds?
Ottawa Souless Nobodies?
Ottawa Crybabies?
Ottawa Red Tape?
Ottawa Padded Expense Accounts?

Thankfully they won't actually name the team after something relevant to this city.

JERKSTORE!!!! Where are you? Get on this!

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
It's hilarious when people tell others what's worth being offended over.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
OK, I threw the "That's Racist" gif out as a :sarcasm:. Didn't they'd take me seriously. Teh internets these days.

Ottawa Ottawans would be a great name, here's the team song.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
It's hilarious when people tell others what's worth being offended over.

Are Oil workers offended by the Oilers?
Are pyros offended by the flames?
Are Canadians offended by Canucks?
Are pilots offended by the Jets?
Are religious people offended by the Devils?
Are freshwater fish offended by the sharks?
Are deaf people offended by the Blues?
Are romans offended by the Senators?

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
Are Oil workers offended by the Oilers? Darn tooting! Oil workers actually accomplish stuff ;)
Are Canadians offended by Canucks? yes - we don't dive in winter. Ice hurts.
Are romans offended by the Senators? They should be with that intro a few years back
:sarcasm:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Another vintage Ottawa response both with the claims of racism and general hate towards anything new! But seriously like many have said here at what point do people stop getting offended? It has gotten a little out of control methinks. I suppose nobody should talk about anything native ever going forward as it seems literally anything associated is considered as such....don't even look at anything native ever or else!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Another vintage Ottawa response both with the claims of racism and general hate towards anything new! But seriously like many have said here at what point do people stop getting offended? It has gotten a little out of control methinks. I suppose nobody should talk about anything native ever going forward as it seems literally anything associated is considered as such....don't even look at anything native ever or else!

We should also all work together to make sure Pete Maravich gets arrested for using the nickname 'Pistol' for all these years as that is apt to encourage youths to use guns in violent crimes as witnessed by the 12,000+ gun shootings in the US alone each year.

/sarcasm

If you're going to complain about the name Tomahawk, I could understand why. Because it sucks. Probably the worst name that's ever been attached to a sports team in Ottawa. Ever.

I just don't understand where all the creativity is. You can name the team anything and design any logo you want and you come up with Tomahawk? You could have come up with anything like Fireland, Black Dragons, Red Star, Odyssey, etc. But they pick Tomahawk and then some oversensitive idiot who probably doesn't even watch basketball is offended?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I suppose we should shut down the NHL because violence offends some people.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Off to a smashing start this franchise is.

Also:

Ian Campeau — an Ottawa aboriginal and a DJ with local group A Tribe Called Red — was also in the CBC Ottawa studio at the time. He applauded the move and said it showed leadership.

It sets Ottawa back almost thirty years, when the NCAA is on its way to remove names like this. Here we are starting new teams with names like TomaHawk, it's...it's backwards," he had said a day earlier.

... I don't actually think that clip applies, but I haven't used that clip in a while.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I just have to say the New Zealand All Blacks are lucky they aren't a basketball squad.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Team1200's Jason York favours the name Musky or Muskie but it might offend the players :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskellunge

Partial quote for reference:
The common name comes from the Ojibwa word maashkinoozhe, meaning "ugly pike", by way of French masque allongé (modified from the Ojibwa word by folk etymology), "elongated face."[citation needed] The French common name is masquinongé or maskinongé.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad