Ottawa Tomahawks

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have never understood the "OMG RACIST" thing about calling sports teams things like the Braves, Blackhawks and "Tomahawks". You're giving the highest level of sports, a competition where people are working together towards being the best at something, a name that is if anything a compliment towards whatever it is being named.

Christ, people are ridiculous these days.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I have never understood the "OMG RACIST" thing about calling sports teams things like the Braves, Blackhawks and "Tomahawks". You're giving the highest level of sports, a competition where people are working together towards being the best at something, a name that is if anything a compliment towards whatever it is being named.

Not to mention a Tomahawk is the name of a weapon. How is that in any way racist?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not to mention a Tomahawk is the name of a weapon. How is that in any way racist?

Agreed. There's no native association anywhere in the logo, nothing to get one's arms up in rage over.

That being said, it's clear that the Ottawa Tomahawk are actively endorsing and supporting this city's rich tradition of naming it's minor sports teams with the most embarrassingly awful names possible. I'd rate this as a notch below "Fat Cats", but two notches above "Rapidz".

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Agreed. There's no native association anywhere in the logo, nothing to get one's arms up in rage over.

That being said, it's clear that the Ottawa Tomahawk are actively endorsing and supporting this city's rich tradition of naming it's minor sports teams with the most embarrassingly awful names possible. I'd rate this as a notch below "Fat Cats", but two notches above "Rapidz".
Forget minor sports teams. Have you seen the rumored names for the new CFL team?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think most people don't know or realize that the Tomahawk is a type of dunk.

That must be some kind of slang alter-meaning, because:

"The name comes from Powhatan tamahaac, derived from the Proto-Algonquian root *temah- 'to cut off by tool'.[3] Algonquian cognates include Lenape təmahikan."

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think you took his joke too far.

OH MAN.

OK. I didn't read that as "Dunk", I read another word entirely, in which you add an "R" and it becomes pretty racist towards aboriginals, all things considered.

Hah. OK then. Carry on. I'll go get my coffee and try to wake up, haha.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
That must be some kind of slang alter-meaning, because:

"The name comes from Powhatan tamahaac, derived from the Proto-Algonquian root *temah- 'to cut off by tool'.[3] Algonquian cognates include Lenape təmahikan."

Yes, I know what a Tomahawk is. :laugh:

In basketball there's a type a dunk called the Tomahawk. The name of the team has absolutely nothing to do with the weapon or Natives.

Edit: Wasted knows. He knows, man.

specialteams

Dec 10, 2011
Whatever the name is, who is the ownership group and management - are there any basketball people involved? Dave Smart and Tony House come to mind in Ottawa for both basketball and business. Not sure the direction on and off the court only time will tell??

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Lmao at Tony House. If we are thinking about the same guy, huge ****ing *******.

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
Carolyn Waldo ‏@carolynwaldoCTV
Upon public outcry, Ottawa's newest basketball team is dropping Tomahawk name. New logo and name expected tomorrow @ctvottawa #ottnews

Vanessa Lee ‏@VanessaLeeCTV
BREAKING: CTV has learned Ottawa's new professional #basketball team will no longer be called the Ottawa Tomahawks #ottnews #ottcity #ottawa

Well that was fast...

I don't get it either, I googled Tomahawks when I noticed a ton of people screaming out "that's racists" & ended up reading about weapons. Did I miss something?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Good god this society is quickly turning into a cesspool.

Pretty soon you won't be allowed to not be friends with everyone to elude being accused of some kind of prejudice.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
To me, It's ridiculous that somebody would be offended by this name...

Aside from that, it's basketball and thus I really don't care...

mrb91

Oct 20, 2008
Kingston, On
I think naming a team after a race like "Indians" or "Redskins" is stupid, but this is a weapon with very clear ties to basketball. I've always been a believer that you can't decide what other people are offended by and should look to avoid offending, but give me a break.

Rolie

Sep 11, 2007
Dortmund

You are completely right, just ignore the small minority of sheep and laugh. :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Carolyn Waldo ‏@carolynwaldoCTV
Upon public outcry, Ottawa's newest basketball team is dropping Tomahawk name. New logo and name expected tomorrow @ctvottawa #ottnews

Well that was fast...

Good lord, that's scary. That means that they will either:
1) come up with an entirely new name and logo in 24 hours. It will be the visual equivalent of that 5 page essay you did back in 1st year university, in3 hours before it was due, and were happy with a D+ grade because the alternative was getting a zero... or
2) they are going to go with whatever was the "runner up" name/logo that couldn't beat out "Tomahawks" in the vetting process. I can only imagine what other names were on the list that made them think "Tomahawks" was awesome: Ottawa "Carpetbaggers", Ottawa "XTreem Masheens", Ottawa "Onslaught", or something equally as terrible.

As usual, I'm secretly hoping they call themselves the Capital City Goofballs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad