Ottawa Tomahawks

specialteams

Dec 10, 2011
Lmao at Tony House. If we are thinking about the same guy, huge ****ing *******.

Think he's well respected in the city apparently not according to you? He played, now a HS coach runs Rautins-House Basketball School thought he would be good name of course along with Dave Smart to get involved with the team in some capacity. Dave probably isn't leaving Carleton has it very good there obviously.

Jerk Store*

I messaged Ian Campeau. Curious to see what his issue with the name is. Always 2 sides to a story. We shall see...

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
We shall henceforth rename all of franchises.

Ottawa Basketball Team
Ottawa Baseball Team
Ottawa Soccer also known as Football Team
Ottawa National including parts of the United States of America Hockey League Team
Ottawa Canadian inclusive of English, French, First Nations, Metis and 'new' Canadians Football League Team

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
All rebuttal arguments when someone claims your team name to be derogatory, racist, etc. should be, "At least were not named the Redskins."

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We shall henceforth rename all of franchises.

Ottawa Basketball Team
Ottawa Baseball Team
Ottawa Soccer also known as Football Team
Ottawa National including parts of the United States of America Hockey League Team
Ottawa Canadian inclusive of English, French, First Nations, Metis and 'new' Canadians Football League Team

Some of these seem somewhat bland and may insult the "fun and excited" folks, allthough that last one really has a nice ring to it!

george8it

Jul 19, 2012
OK, I threw the "That's Racist" gif out as a :sarcasm:. Didn't they'd take me seriously. Teh internets these days.

Ottawa Ottawans would be a great name, here's the team song.

Problem is "Ottawa" is a native word. That would be bad to call them the "Ottawans".

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
BEDpkr5CcAA2Sav.jpg:large

if thor's head were a basketball and he wasnt wearing a helmet this is what he would look like.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Think he's well respected in the city apparently not according to you? He played, now a HS coach runs Rautins-House Basketball School thought he would be good name of course along with Dave Smart to get involved with the team in some capacity. Dave probably isn't leaving Carleton has it very good there obviously.

I dont think you'll find a shortage of people in this city that think Tony House is a *********.

anyone else find the article in the sun or citizen discussing the team funny, in that Kev Evraire is specifically contracted to handle branding?
a nice big article and BOOOM! first day branding disaster....

the quotes from the article make it very entertaining...."we didnt want to over focus group this" yet they did want to immediately overreact and hit the eject button....

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
This is beyond pathetic. Considering this team will likely fold in a year anyway he should just name it the Ottawa White Guilt.

Seriously amazing how much talk an NBL (WTF is the NBL) team is getting.

A lot of big hockey fans cant be bothered to drive there for a game against Carolina, yet they think people will drive there for 5th tier basketball?

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
if they are hoping to get a positive reaction with the fans... they should just not reveal the name.

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
The drama surrounding the name is ridiculous, was reading earlier how Mayor Watson didn't support the name and neither did the NBL league. But the Ottawa owners still went with it. They got positive reviews on the logo, so they might be keeping that.

Article: Mayor, league lobbied against name

This is beyond pathetic. Considering this team will likely fold in a year anyway he should just name it the Ottawa White Guilt.

Seriously amazing how much talk an NBL (WTF is the NBL) team is getting.

A lot of big hockey fans cant be bothered to drive there for a game against Carolina, yet they think people will drive there for 5th tier basketball?

NBL = National Basketball League of Canada. It's a Canadian professional men's basketball league founded in 2011.

It's just a one year contract, I'm sure once the Civic Centre is finished they'll move there or somewhere else. Give it a chance before you knock it. I'm not much of a basketball fan, not anymore anyways but I think this is great. More professional sports teams in Ottawa is a good thing.

Sick Dangle

Feb 9, 2013
I messaged Ian Campeau. Curious to see what his issue with the name is. Always 2 sides to a story. We shall see...

I'm keen to see how he can live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. 3 native words right there.

I don't believe this is about racism or about being an offensive name. It's a show of anger.

Who can blame Native Canadians for being furious with the world? Their displacement and treatment is a horrible chapter in our nation's history and we haven't found a way to make it right. Many will naturally fight any attempt by non-natives to use even innocuous connections to their heritage for financial gain.

Jerk Store*

I'm keen to see how he can live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. 3 native words right there.

I don't believe this is about racism or about being an offensive name. It's a show of anger.

Who can blame Native Canadians for being furious with the world? Their displacement and treatment is a horrible chapter in our nation's history and we haven't found a way to make it right. Many will naturally fight any attempt by non-natives to use even innocuous connections to their heritage for financial gain.

Fully agree on the big picture, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
I have never understood the "OMG RACIST" thing about calling sports teams things like the Braves, Blackhawks and "Tomahawks". You're giving the highest level of sports, a competition where people are working together towards being the best at something, a name that is if anything a compliment towards whatever it is being named.

Christ, people are ridiculous these days.

Doesn't it depend? I think the Blackhawks have a great logo and a great name that looks hard ass and also respects native people. The only hardcore Hawks fan I know is himself native

The whole war whoop, painting yourself red and doing a tomahawk chop thing with the Braves back in the day is racist. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't think it is. If there were a team called the Gangsters and it's fans wore black face and caricatured ghetto clothes while doing some ebonics type chant, wouldn't that too be racist? I'm confused.

It seems to me that while some people see racism behind everything, others, in the name of anti-political correctness (whatever that means) like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

Id like to find an instance in the history of conquest, which is really humanity's entire history where the conquered got a real fair shake.
Every modern country,race, and creed on earth is probably guilty in one fashion or another of horrific crimes against humanity.
nobody is saying now that it was right, and attempts to make it right certainly have been made including land rights, billions every year in transfer payments from the rest of canada's taxpayers, tax free status. etc.

its not a simple fix but nor should everyone walk around staring at their feet as if they were personally responsible for the past. that's nonsense.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The whole war whoop, painting yourself red and doing a tomahawk chop thing with the Braves back in the day is racist. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't think it is. If there were a team called the Gangsters and it's fans wore black face and caricatured ghetto clothes while doing some ebonics type chant, wouldn't that too be racist? I'm confused.

How is what you described above racist? It's a team mascot. Your statement about gangsters is more racist than the Braves mascot. People just need to learn to deal with context and intent. There's a huge difference between the two things you described.

Id like to find an instance in the history of conquest, which is really humanity's entire history where the conquered got a real fair shake.
Every modern country,race, and creed on earth is probably guilty in one fashion or another of horrific crimes against humanity.
nobody is saying now that it was right, and attempts to make it right certainly have been made including land rights, billions every year in transfer payments from the rest of canada's taxpayers, tax free status. etc.

its not a simple fix but nor should everyone walk around staring at their feet as if they were personally responsible for the past. that's nonsense.

Yeah...it's kind of ridiculous. What can you do though? People spend way too much time focusing on fixing past mistakes that have no fix than focusing on making the present and future a better place.

Sick Dangle

Feb 9, 2013

I don't think anyone believes they're personally responsible for the past. What they do believe is, during any heated debate involving ethnic minorities, people are afraid to speak up for what they believe.

They stare at their feet because they're scared to be fired or labelled a disgusting racist if the PC police gets their talons into them.

Example: "I have observed that most black people are great dancers." PC Police: "You racist piece of ****."

Example: "I think Tomahawks is a cool name for our team." PC Police: "4 guys on twitter say you're a racist. So, you know what? You're a racist!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad