Ottawa Sun Crossed the Line

EDDIE20*

What sickens me is Garrioch tweeted a picture of the cover last night. WTF? Like is he proud that a player was seriously injured?

Dana Scully

I want to believe.
Dec 3, 2005
Ottawa
Gone are the days someone in Montreal will do something about this. Ottawa knows no one from Montreal will do anything next game except a heavy check, hand slapping fight with there visor's down or a mean glance.

Remember the GM addressed toughness for the playoff at the trade deadline lol

Yes there is no toughness in Montreal and that include Prust since he is only one guy. Who has done over and above what is truly needed for this team.

Huh? What does this ridiculous cover of a tabloid have to do with the Sens as a team?

EDDIE20*

People really need to stop taking Garrioch seriously. How he still has a job is beyond me.

Yep. Between his crap reporting and his fictional trade rumours.... The Sun must be really hard up for employees if they hire his ass.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Showing the picture isn't bad. Its the picture in conjunction with the headline which draws a parallel between winning the game and taking out a player and the obvious implication to be drawn that the injury was something to celebrate.

But they employ Garrioch, so its not like they are a respectable organization.

Dana Scully

I want to believe.
Dec 3, 2005
Ottawa
Showing the picture isn't bad. Its the picture in conjunction with the headline which draws a parallel between winning the game and taking out a player and the obvious implication to be drawn that the injury was something to celebrate.

Showing the picture is bad too, though. It's just unnecessary. Celebrate the win and move on. No need to glorify a bloody incident just to use the stupid pun in a headline.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Showing the picture is bad too, though. It's just unnecessary. Celebrate the win and move on. No need to glorify a bloody incident just to use the stupid pun in a headline.

I don't think there is a problem with showing the picture, so long as its in the context of it being protrayed as a bad thing. Going, "oh look at the bad thing that happened" is a bit crass but not widely out of bounds. But that cover with that byline makes a guy lying in his own blood look like a trophy mounted on a wall, and that's pretty heinous.

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
This is a yahoo story on the controversy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ed-bloody-lars-eller-cover-isn-135848964.html

It's BS. NHL is rough. It's a tough game and many fans, including myself, like the violence. But no one, *no one* likes when the violence leads to more than a small injury to a player.

What a stupid article. Yes, people like a bit of blood. But the second you hear someone is concussed or has a long term injury the context is changed.

Quebecor and it's degenerate newspapers try to do the same thing to the beautiful game of hockey that they do to our politics. Twist and debase it to sell copy. **** them.

This Sens fan wishes Eller the best. I'm not ashamed of the Ottawa Sun because they don't speak for me and they never will. They can go to hell.

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
What sickens me is Garrioch tweeted a picture of the cover last night. WTF? Like is he proud that a player was seriously injured?

That's the impression I got. It was like he was so excited about his cover that he couldn't wait for morning to show it to people.

I don't think there is a problem with showing the picture, so long as its in the context of it being protrayed as a bad thing. Going, "oh look at the bad thing that happened" is a bit crass but not widely out of bounds. But that cover with that byline makes a guy lying in his own blood look like a trophy mounted on a wall, and that's pretty heinous.

Exactly. Well said.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I just want to join the chorus of Sens fans who condemn that classless and despicable cover. The Sun is a stain on our city, I haven't talked to a single Sens fan who isn't embarrassed by that horrible rag's cover today. It's totally shameful. I sent an angry comment to them last night when Garrihack tweeted the picture, but it's clear that the Sun relishes bad press more than actually trying to act like a reputable media outlet.

NJHABSFAN

Jan 22, 2009
Swamps of Joisey
Who gives a damn?

Our teams sucks if we lose to a team full of rookies and a skinny d-man who just came back from a lacerated ankle.

Throw some heat toward that inbred idiot Therrien who can't adjust for crap, or to Price who forgot how to keep control of his rebounds, or Desharnais or Bergevin or Gionta or half of our weak, inept team.

Eller didn't deserve that injury, Gallagher is trying his hardest, Subban is doing all he can... it's just the culture of sycophantic ******** that surrounds the Habs.

Who cares what Ottawa puts on their papers, it's not like the Habs can respond to it they need a rookie to throw hits.

Cant do anything when you have a Crap goalie going against a Excellant Goalie. Please..do you watch the game?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Who gives a damn?

Our teams sucks if we lose to a team full of rookies and a skinny d-man who just came back from a lacerated ankle.

Throw some heat toward that inbred idiot Therrien who can't adjust for crap, or to Price who forgot how to keep control of his rebounds, or Desharnais or Bergevin or Gionta or half of our weak, inept team.

Eller didn't deserve that injury, Gallagher is trying his hardest, Subban is doing all he can... it's just the culture of sycophantic ******** that surrounds the Habs.

Who cares what Ottawa puts on their papers, it's not like the Habs can respond to it they need a rookie to throw hits.
What the hell, take a breather man... I'm not high on Desharnais or Gionta, but what the hell is Bergevin doing in this sentence? He didn't sign Gionta's contract. It's not his fault our #1 and #2 centeren are small. Give him some time, this team achieved MUCH more than expected already, and it's only his first year.

Price clearly wasn't great last night, but had we scored 1 more goal on that 5-on-3 and made it 3-1 we win this game. Our inability to finish destroyed our confidence and we let the Sens back in the game.

Therrien is being nominated for coach of the year. There are questionnable decisions, of course. I didn't like seeing Moen/White on the ice so much in the last 5 minutes. So what? Maybe he was trying to keep the main players fresh for tonight...

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
Ottawa fan who likes the Habs and will probably end up cheering for whoever wins the series even though Ottawa is my hometown team, I think the paper is disgusting. I think most people in Ottawa would agree. The Sun is a total joke.

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
The paper has been and always will be classless..

That said, it's owned by QMI : Quebecor Media Inc, all editorials have to go through it's hub, which is Montreal based.

This was all done with intent.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
They better fire the person in charge of that cover choice and write a lengthy apology, at the very least.

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011
simply a ploy to generate a rivalry to sell more BS "news" stories...if you quit buying, they will probably not change their heartless tactics...sad world we live in.

DaSystem

Dec 7, 2007
Toronto
The paper has been and always will be classless..

That said, it's owned by QMI : Quebecor Media Inc, all editorials have to go through it's hub, which is Montreal based.

This was all done with intent.

Intent to do what? Make Ottawa look bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad