Post-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators vs. Montreal Canadiens | Game 2 | Oct. 15, 7:00pm | CityTV, TVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Really? I thought Anderson looked aweful. Im quite worried about him two garbage games in a row.

He finished strong which is all you can ask after that bad second goal.

No one is perfect for the entire game. What matters with mistakes is that you don't repeat them, not not make one ever.

Grant Fuhr let in a ton of bad goals, he remains one of the greats because of his ability to bounce back and not let in that 5th or 6th goal.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wish this team could play with a lead, I didnt expect it to be automatic but in both games so many of the teams big issues reared their ugly heads.

I thought the only team issue to raise its ugly head was Anderson's propensity to allow soft goals at bad times. You could see EK on the corner of the crease ask "how?" after that 2nd goal

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
One other note I'd make from this game (that I know many of you will disagree with for various reasons) is that I really enjoy having Neil on this team still. I know he's at the end of his career and many of you see no place for him anymore but I love that presence that he brings. I feel like opposing players always know he's there when they're in our barn and they don't mess around because of it. That 10 second glare he gave to someone (Gallager I think) last night was almost like saying "are you sure you wanna do this?"

I really enjoy him being part of the team.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I believe it was Shaw, but I agree Neil has been great so far.

Main thing is the coaching so far seems to be minimizing his ice time and putting him in situations to succeed. In his limited time, he can go all out and play very well in his role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
One other note I'd make from this game (that I know many of you will disagree with for various reasons) is that I really enjoy having Neil on this team still. I know he's at the end of his career and many of you see no place for him anymore but I love that presence that he brings. I feel like opposing players always know he's there when they're in our barn and they don't mess around because of it. That 10 second glare he gave to someone (Gallager I think) last night was almost like saying "are you sure you wanna do this?"

I really enjoy him being part of the team.

He has a role that's for sure. He can bring some positives. I loved his big hit on Hunwick. If he could deliver a good clean check like that every game. He is a physical presence that will stick up for his team mates and help deter the free cheap shots.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Neil also had a key shot block to clear the zone in period 1, he's been very effective through two games in my opinion. If he keeps it up he'll be playing well past his 1000th game

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Neil also had a key shot block to clear the zone in period 1, he's been very effective through two games in my opinion. If he keeps it up he'll be playing well past his 1000th game

One of the big keys with Neil- Under 6 minutes played in each game. Good job by Boucher limiting him and Boro's ice time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
One of the big keys with Neil- Under 6 minutes played in each game. Good job by Boucher limiting him and Boro's ice time.

While I agree, we really should have someone in there who can offer more and not force so many minutes out of our top players every night. Neil deserves to play but not every night. He should get 40%ish of the games off so someone else can play more minutes. Keep his old body fresh.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's been a good start so far... 2-0 while learning a new system.

We're keeping ourselves right with the playoff pack and in theory we should get better.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
While I agree, we really should have someone in there who can offer more and not force so many minutes out of our top players every night. Neil deserves to play but not every night. He should get 40%ish of the games off so someone else can play more minutes. Keep his old body fresh.

On the flip side, you want your top lines to play more, because they are better at scoring.

The third line is a shutdown line that will play more, and against some teams will line match.

This leaves the fourth line to provide energy when both teams are resting their other lines. In addition to energy, you want you fourth line to be solid defensively, and to be able to hit. With Dizzy on the fourth line we also have a fast strike option.

The reality is that from a financial stand point you want most of the money being spent on the top lines as well, team's don't really have money to fill the fourth line with 'paid players'.

Ours is perfect I think, so far, for the money being paid. We have an excellent defensive vet at centre who is good on faceoffs. We have a 1000 game vet tough guy on the right who can crush folks, and is effective in limited, traditional 4 line minutes, and we have the rookie winger on the left with speed to burn and the courage to drive the net. An affordable and effective fourth line.

The truth is that I'm not seeing a lot of holes in our team right now (not that we don't need to continue to work, but our players are solid in their positions 2 games in), and we have the cap space to add a serious upgrade somewhere in the line up. By Christmas and moving towards the deadline we'll have a solid idea going forward into the playoffs and next where this money should be spent. The most serious issue to consider though is that with the expansion draft looming any shiny acquisition will have to be protected, leaving someone else exposed. There is a good chance we make a small temp move after the new year, and then wait until Vegas has had their picks before making a big move. That goes for most teams as well I'd imagine, no one wants to give Vegas squat if they don't have to.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Neil deserves to play but not every night. He should get 40%ish of the games off so someone else can play more minutes. Keep his old body fresh.
What did he reach 65 years of age? :amazed:

The guy still does what he’s paid to do and nothing less! And that other 60% of the time when he isn’t around is when other teams will start taking advantage..... :shakehead

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Speaking of free cheap shots. Did anybody else think that Pacioretty should have been targeted for running into Anderson?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Speaking of free cheap shots. Did anybody else think that Pacioretty should have been targeted for running into Anderson?

Habs took a good enough beating last night. I don't want to call them soft, but when your 2 smallest players are your 2 toughest players and your getting bounced around the stadium, it makes you look like a soft team.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Absolutely expect it next game early. I liked that the Sens stayed focussed on the task at hand last night. Plenty more meetings for some payback. I am surprised there was no call, saying he was directed is a stretch.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I would have loved to see something, but I do like how the guys stayed focused on trying to win the game at that point. I felt as though the Habs were cheap tonight, especially vs Stone's head.

It's odd, in the last few games it seems like the Leafs are cheap with the chintzy interference, and the Habs are cheap with their chintzy cheapshots.

We on the other hand tried to play focused hockey and ended up winning. The boys look like they are trying really hard to focus on getting their routes down and their positional play up to snuff within the new system. What will be awesome to see is what the squad looks like once they have the technical stuff down pat and are able to add finesse and grit to it more seamlessly. I have a feeling that we're going to be a very good team, very soon.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
on Pacioretty: I love the discipline. I am not talking about a face wash, a hack or shove. I'd like to see him cleaned out with a good clean check like Neil threw the other night.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
on Pacioretty: I love the discipline. I am not talking about a face wash, a hack or shove. I'd like to see him cleaned out with a good clean check like Neil threw the other night.

I totally agree. I wonder if some of the guys were just thinking system first to make sure they didn't make mistakes. Not a "turn another cheek" but more "my brain is filled with concentrating on getting this right".

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I'm still laughing that he got made captain. The guy who publicly whines whenever he feels slighted or cheapshotted but the first to pull some Marchand like ****.

The direct opposite of "no excuses".

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm still laughing that he got made captain. The guy who publicly whines whenever he feels slighted or cheapshotted but the first to pull some Marchand like ****.

He really does whine a lot. I've noticed that over the last year, he's Crosby like in his approach with the officials.

The number I'd be taking would be 26 from that game. Targets a star player's head who just came back from a concussion. That's not an accident. He should be dealt with, especially if the refs won't take action.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I think they probably would have made Price captain if they could.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau

Apparently, the players voted for him but I have a feeling they voted more in a ''anybody but PK'' approach.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Very good first period last night against the Habs, loved the way this team FINALLY took the body to them & played physical. Of course, as soon as they got back to poke checking instead of hitting & taking the body the Habs got right back into the game. Anyway, good win, I thought Neil & Boro played well & they should play more minutes & Smith is looking great in the top 6 where he should stay for a while. Nice goal by Dzingel too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad