Ottawa Senators TSP Report: Top 10 Prospects Reports and Rankings

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I think Brown will get into the lineup sooner than later and show off his offensive potential. I also like Norris as a dark horse.

With the sheer number of prospects we have that play centre whom we may forget about like Chlapik, Batherson etc. someone might jump out.

This all may be a little optimistic, definitely hopeful, but the increase in talent on the wings alone should help our centres out. Batherson, Formenton?, Abramov?, etc. (I don't even want to list them, it hurts, I will forget someone).

So to conclude, if Brown comes up and plays well (which in my personal opinion:likely) that would put us with Brown-White-Anisimov-Pageau (Centres).... Two wiley old defensive veterans in Anisimov and Pageau...... and then two hopeful young studs. I like the balance, and Chabot, Wolanin (and maybe Brannstrom) isn't a bad D-core with Ron Hainsey helping mold the young guys into penalty killers and hopefully Zaitsev takes a step forward (or maybe a step towards more comfort in hise game, i don't know).

The point isnt about longterm centre depth. Its about what the Senators will dress in 2019-20. Even with White, it isnt much of a debate in my mind. Right now i dont see any team that will be weaker than ottawa looking at centre this season, and thats even after i corrected my mistake and included White.

As the prospects develop that can change, of course. It should get better in time. Right now though, it shouldnt be news that the Sens are rebuilding and the 2019-20 season is expected to be another rough one. Lack of talent at centre and defence is a reason for that (at least lack of talent that is ready to produce at the nhl level). There can be decent centres and defenders in the system and even making the team but there is only so much one can expect from them at their current age.

Even the most optimistic of Sens fans must know that the upcoming season is one where the team is rebuilding.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Forgetting White doesn't change your analysis of the Sens centre depth? And you're looking for credibility in the hockey world? Really?

Saying you made a mistake and forgot him is one thing, suggesting doing so doesn't change the point...idk man

It doesnt change that the team might have the worst group of centres in the nhl right now. Who else is in that debate? I can see Arizona being a debate. Are any other teams looking at that level? I dont see it.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
The point isnt about longterm centre depth. Its about what the Senators will dress in 2019-20. Even with White, it isnt much of a debate in my mind. Right now i dont see any team that will be weaker than ottawa looking at centre this season, and thats even after i corrected my mistake and included White.

As the prospects develop that can change, of course. It should get better in time. Right now though, it shouldnt be news that the Sens are rebuilding and the 2019-20 season is expected to be another rough one. Lack of talent at centre and defence is a reason for that (at least lack of talent that is ready to produce at the nhl level). There can be decent centres and defenders in the system and even making the team but there is only so much one can expect from them at their current age.

Even the most optimistic of Sens fans must know that the upcoming season is one where the team is rebuilding.

Anisimov is a good centre. Numbers, last year 15 goals, 37 points, 78 games. Goals and durability.

White is a very promising young centre who... last year scored 14 goals and 41 points in 71 games, at only 22 years old whilst taking on a defensive role. He will steadily produce more numbers every year until full maturity and this guy is a hard worker.

Pageau 39 games played 4 goals 14 points, we all know who Pageau is and what he does (defence and clutch playoff scoring, depth scoring in the year)..

Common theme between these last three centres they work hard defensively. Anisimov and Pageau are both seasoned penalty killers and White kills penalties and is young and fast. Plus he can learn from the two older guys. Can't measure that in the stats.

Now, I admit, it was my assumption that Brown will quickly be inserted into the lineup and have an impact. I am hopeful for this, but my optimism is based on a logical progression of the player. Brown has worked hard and put up more points than White at a similar age in Belleville. He has also played a full season down there. He will be given a chance here and unless something changes drastically the odds are his impact will be quick and real.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thats all true. Anisimov and Pageau are probably #3 centres on most teams. White is young and im not sure he would be more than the #2 guy on many other nhl teams (at least at this point in his career). Every centre on the sens is playing at a level above where they probably should be playing.

Look around the league. Who is entering the season with less at centre?

The only team that i can see as similar is Arizona (Stepan, Schmaltz, Soderberg).

Its debateable between ottawa and arizona. Ill grant that.

I dont see another team who is weaker down the middle though.

With 31 teams, maybe im overlooking some third team. That said, i still think the comment that the Senators look like one of the worst teams in the NHL at centre for the 2019-20 season is accurate.

As for Brown... the comment was made in the section about Brown's outlook for 2019-20. It was saying these are the players he needs to beat out for a top 9 role in camp, or you can expect him in Belleville. With the sens rebuilding. I think its likely that pageau and anisimov are given roles in the top 9 and one or both are moved at the deadline. Brown plays big minutes in Belleville to start the year and finishes the year in Ottawa. Thats my projection for him. It could be wrong, but thats my prediction.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anisimov is a good centre. Numbers, last year 15 goals, 37 points, 78 games. Goals and durability.

White is a very promising young centre who... last year scored 14 goals and 41 points in 71 games, at only 22 years old whilst taking on a defensive role. He will steadily produce more numbers every year until full maturity and this guy is a hard worker.

Pageau 39 games played 4 goals 14 points, we all know who Pageau is and what he does (defence and clutch playoff scoring, depth scoring in the year)..

Common theme between these last three centres they work hard defensively. Anisimov and Pageau are both seasoned penalty killers and White kills penalties and is young and fast. Plus he can learn from the two older guys. Can't measure that in the stats.

Now, I admit, it was my assumption that Brown will quickly be inserted into the lineup and have an impact. I am hopeful for this, but my optimism is based on a logical progression of the player. Brown has worked hard and put up more points than White at a similar age in Belleville. He has also played a full season down there. He will be given a chance here and unless something changes drastically the odds are his impact will be quick and real.
I think if Brown can step in as a legit top 6 center our group will look far better but until that happens we have White who probably shoul be a 2nd line C and a bunch of guys that should be 3rd line C.

Arizona is the only team i see as being in the debate for worse group as it stands.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Thats all true.

Still look around the league. Who is entering the season with less at centre?

The only team that i can see as similar is Arizona (Stepan, Schmaltz, Soderberg).

Its debateable between ottawa and arizona. Ill grant that.

I dont see another team who is weaker down the middle though.

With 31 teams, maybe im overlooking some third team. That said, i still think the comment that the Senators look like one of the worst teams in the NHL at centre for the 2019-20 season is accurate.
I think you are confusing absolute star power like Matthews ans Tavares with centre depth.

We have centre depth, we have no proven (yet) stars at centre. I don't know all of the centres on all of the teams in the league for the upcoming season but when I compare what we have in the 4 previous stated centres to what we have had the previous 2 years of mediocrity it gives me a spark for optimism. Perhaps we have different criteria for what makes good centres or a good group of centres or depth at all.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think you are confusing absolute star power like Matthews ans Tavares with centre depth.

We have centre depth, we have no proven (yet) stars at centre. I don't know all of the centres on all of the teams in the league for the upcoming season but when I compare what we have in the 4 previous stated centres to what we have had the previous 2 years of mediocrity it gives me a spark for optimism. Perhaps we have different criteria for what makes good centres or a good group of centres or depth at all.
Having a 2nd line center and 3 #3 centres isn’t good center depth, that’s having awful center depth.

In no way is our center depth now better than it was the previous years with Turris, Brassard and Duchene, not even close.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Depth includes both stars and quantity of nhl players.

A hypothetical team (not the sens) could have 7 fourth line centres but none who are truly capable of playing top 9. I wouldnt say that hypothetical team has good centre depth. Having good depth means you have players who can fill into the necessary roles. So yes having a star player is part of the evaluation of the group.

Reactions: Cosmix

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I think if Brown can step in as a legit top 6 center our group will look far better but until that happens we have White who probably shoul be a 2nd line C and a bunch of guys that should be 3rd line C.

Arizona is the only team i see as being in the debate for worse group as it stands.
I agree. I just find it hard to see Brown not making the lineup right out of training camp. (because we have no star centres, and Brown is strong offensively). And if he does that then it slots White as # 2 and pageau\anisimov as a strong 3rd 4th.

From that I guess the argument would be how much of an impact will Brown make right away. I guess I am higher on Brown than most others becuase I think this 6-6 monster will come in and really impact offensively. He is no spring chicken and he is gonna knock the door down imo.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Depth includes both stars and quantity of nhl players.

A hypothetical team (not the sens) could have 7 fourth line centres but none who are truly capable of playing top 9. I wouldnt say that hypothetical team has good centre depth. Having good depth means you have players who can fill into the necessary roles. So yes having a star player is part of the evaluation of the group.
Ya I think that Brown is that star and will quickly show all Ottawa senators fans what he was doing in Belleville. This is really where my argument lies.

But I also think it would be foolish, or at least premature, to rule out White from turning a page offensively next year as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look around the league. Who is entering the season with less at centre?

I think Richardson and Dvorak are in the mix for top 9 spots too and perhaps even Hayton. There will be lots of competition but like the sens they lack a true #1 guy.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ya I think that Brown is that star and will quickly show all Ottawa senators fans what he was doing in Belleville. This is really where my argument lies.

I like Brown as a future #2. Im not sure he has the upside of a future #1. Even if he is a future number 1, i think his chances of being a true number 1 as a rookie are even smaller. Hes not going to come into the league and make an Elias Pettersson style impact.

Thats my projection and opinion though. You are free to disagree and only time will tell.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I think Richardson and Dvorak are in the mix for top 9 spots too and perhaps even Hayton. There will be lots of competition but like the sens they lack a true #1 guy.
We drafted Brown in 2016, it is the 2019-2020 season. Hold on to your seat because we might already have that #1 centre.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown struggled in the AHL down the stretch. He had that great run that made his season with 21 points in 15 games in February the same time Batherson was tearing it up, then ended the season with 6 points in his last 17 games. He still needs time in the AHL, and with the Anisimov trade he will certainly be getting it.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I like Brown as a future #2. Im not sure he has the upside of a future #1. Even if he is a future number 1, i think his chances of being a true number 1 as a rookie are even smaller. Hes not going to come into the league and make an Elias Pettersson style impact.

Thats my projection and opinion though. You are free to disagree and only time will tell.
Hmmm yes I disagree, not with the Elias peterson prdiction becuase that kid is unique and did it as a teenager whereas Brown is 21 years old.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Brown struggled in the AHL down the stretch. He had that great run that made his season with 21 points in 15 games in February the same time Batherson was tearing it up, then ended the season with 6 points in his last 17 games. He still needs time in the AHL, and with the Anisimov trade he will certainly be getting it.
Will he be getting more time in Belleville? Because I doubt it. 21 years old, 6-6, centre on team that needs centres. Already has strong defensive depth and depth on the wing, acquired veteran centre Anisimov to replace Brown? Or to help him out?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Will he be getting more time in Belleville? Because I doubt it. 21 years old, 6-6, centre on team that needs centres. Already has strong defensive depth and depth on the wing, acquired veteran centre Anisimov to replace Brown? Or to help him out?
Than in the NHL? Of course he will, if he was on the team starting out he’d get 10 minutes a night like he did last year in his cup of coffee that left quite a bit to be desired. Brown won’t be starting in the NHL when we have 4 guys on 1 way contracts.

White
Tierny
JGP
Anisimov

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Hmmm yes I disagree, not with the Elias peterson prdiction becuase that kid is unique and did it as a teenager whereas Brown is 21 years old.
21 is still young.

Its also pretty rare to see a guy go from 42 points in 56 AHL games to true #1 NHL centre in one summer. In hockey history there are probably very few players who made such a jump in such a short period of time.

I just dont see him starting in the NHL as the number 1 centre. Heck i don't see him starting in the NHL at all if the Sens are healthy after camp. I think he needs AHL time and could come up full time in January or February

Reactions: BondraTime

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
21 is still young.

Its also pretty rare to see a guy go from 42 points in 56 AHL games to true #1 NHL centre in one summer. In hockey history there are probably very few players who made such a jump in such a short period of time.
This where the problem lies. "True" number one. Why must this man make the exact jump you would like for him. You can point to numbers and say "I don't know?" Or you can look further and make your mind up. I see the potential in Brown if you don't see it prepared to be amazed. Should be fun.

add: Also in hockey history there were few who scored 4 goals on their first game but it happened by a kid at 18 against us. The kid was novel in the way he scored so he does it better. Brown was taken 11th in that same draft. If you tell me that year no one can change hockey history you would have been wrong the first game of the season.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Than in the NHL? Of course he will, if he was on the team starting out he’d get 10 minutes a night like he did last year in his cup of coffee that left quite a bit to be desired. Brown won’t be starting in the NHL when we have 4 guys on 1 way contracts.

White
Tierny
JGP
Anisimov
Maybe, the thing about Gms is they make moves. And they are boy scouts, always prepared.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe, the thing about Gms is they make moves. And they are boy scouts, always prepared.
Sure, this move seems to have been made (trading a winger for a center, money aside) to keep Brown in the AHL intentionally, as part of the GM’s prepares plan.

Brown isn’t close to being prepared to being a top 6 center in the league both physically and mentally.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Sure, this move seems to have been made (trading a winger for a center, money aside) to keep Brown in the AHL intentionally, as part of the GM’s prepares plan.

Brown isn’t close to being prepared to being a top 6 center in the league both physically and mentally.
You really dislike this guy so much that you would attest to his mental state? This going a little far.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You really dislike this guy so much that you would attest to his mental state? This going a little far.
Do you know what mentally ready means? Because this tells me you have zero clue....his mentality toward hockey has been questioned since his 1st year in the OHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastWordArmy

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Do you know what mentally ready means? Because this tells me you have zero clue....his mentality toward hockey has been questioned since his 1st year in the OHl.
His mentality has been questioned sure but by whom, when and why? All of the context is gone.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
As an aside, doing this on top of working as a lawyer in Toronto is incredibly impressive.

Not sure what your practice entails, but if it’s anything even remotely corporate/Bay Street I’m going to assume you can just function on 2 hours of sleep a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad