News Article: Ottawa Senators Trying To Prevent Leafs Fans From Attending Games In Ottawa

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bingo. Anyone who uses the 'suits' at the ACC as a representation of leafs nation need only see the amount of support at leafs road games in any city within 1000 km including Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo Long Island, Jersey, or Detroit.

And yes I've been to leaf games in Ottawa and Buffalo and it's a world of difference; Sabres nation doesn't feel threatened by leaf fans, they get motivated to 'step up their game', sens nation whines and comes up with ludicrous ways that will undoubtedly result in more empty seats.

The sad thing is that 24 hours ago I hated the senators less than any point since the leafs joined the east. I like the current team quite a bit, Karlsson and Turris are 2 of my favourite players, the only player I dislike is Alfie and even that is based on things he did 9-10 years ago, I do like Paul Maclean and find him both classy and astute.

But yet here comes inferiority complex over a team which hasn't made the playoffs since Joe Niewendyk and Ron Francis were in the NHL. I'd miss the rivalry if they leave but if that ever happens I wouldn't shed one tear for Eugene who brought it on himself.

And yes I'd be surprised if this even works. I see it doing two things; either causing more seats to be empty or motivating leaf fans to make the effort to make it in even more.

It's not even limited to a ~1000km radius.

I went to a Flames-Leafs game in Calgary last season, and there were more Leafs fans than Flames fans. :laugh:

And we were very loud and passionate. Although that was somewhat subdued by our performance. :(

Still, it was an awesome atmosphere.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
As long as the fans don't act like A holes Ottawa has no excuse. Of course the fans that do act like jerks are only providing the pudding.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd love it if those Leaf and Habs fans, that have Sens seasons tickets, refused to renew because of this anti-Leaf anti-Habs BS!

I will not buy tickets for any events held at ScotiaBank Place because of this BS.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Is that even legal ? Besides if you don't like other teams fans in your building then go buy tickets and attend the games yourselves. This is ridiculous, not to mention absolutely hilarious.

EDDIE20*

Live around a hour from Scotiabank have had a rule about Sens games, I don't go unless it's free. Since this nonsense came out a relative has organized a March 30 trip for the game 16 signed up in less than 24 hrs and growing, tickets bought all sporting blue and white. Gonna be fun!

Good rule. The last thing I would ever do is give a dime to Melnyk. That crybaby deserves nothing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Is that even legal ? Besides if you don't like other teams fans in your building then go buy tickets and attend the games yourselves. This is ridiculous, not to mention absolutely hilarious.
As a business owner, you reserve the right to refuse business to anyone. That can include minorities,women,religious groups etc. Of course, legally, you cannot say you refused their business because they're white,black,Christian etc. This appears to have gone through a lawyer first though, by the way it's worded. They just refer to us as "rivals". It's pretty ****ing awesome if you ask me. Melnyk is quite hilarious and sad.
“It doesn’t burn anybody worse than me to see drunken guys walking around, bullying people,†Senators owner Eugene Melnyk told local reporters in the wake of a Leafs game about a year ago.
Right Melnyk, Leafs fans are the only one's who get drunk in Ottawa. Sens fans are saints!

EDDIE20*

As a business owner, you reserve the right to refuse business to anyone. That can include minorities,women,religious groups etc. Of course, legally, you cannot say you refused their business because they're white,black,Christian etc. This appears to have gone through a lawyer first though, by the way it's worded. They just refer to us as "rivals". It's pretty ****ing awesome if you ask me. Melnyk is quite hilarious and sad.

Right Melnyk, Leafs fans are the only one's who get drunk in Ottawa. Sens fans are saints!

Melnyk is such a tool. I remember his press conference at the beginning of this season. He really said some doozies - First off, he knows that the Sens are the envy of the league. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard this. He then proceeded to put down the LA Kings, saying that certain guys on the Sens felt they were a better team.

I have never seen an owner so full of himself, especially since his team has accomplished nothing.

As for Leafs fans getting drunk at SBP, he may have a point there. Someone has to buy beer since there aren't enough Sens fans in the place apparently.

And boy, can Melnyk ever whine with the best of 'em. http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/866044/clip/0

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfanz*

seems to me that the Leafs have a big support base in every other Canadian city as well. Melnky should be happy those seats are sold....period. Not worried about who is filling them.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
seems to me that the Leafs have a big support base in every other Canadian city as well. Melnky should be happy those seats are sold....period. Not worried about who is filling them.

Exactly... he should thank his lucky stars that there any bums in the seats at all!!!

EDDIE20*

Exactly... he should thank his lucky stars that there any bums in the seats at all!!!

Right now, Melnyk should be more concerned about the bums on the ice instead of in the seats.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Right now, Melnyk should be more concerned about the bums on the ice instead of in the seats.

Well, the bums on the ice are one lucky bounce away from a tie hockey game. The Leafs are playing like bums themselves and not taking advantage of a depleted Sens team.

GoodNHLTroll*

They were discussing how "Leafs fans are obsessed with the Sens"...sadly, recent events in the news prove otherwise.

Senators fans force sports retailer to remove Toronto Maple Leafs display from Ottawa mall
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...iler-remove-toronto-maple-192231789--nhl.html

Keep Toronto Maple Leafs
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/13/keep-toronto-maple-leafs-fan-out-of-the-bank

And who can forget Team 1200? You guys in Toronto thankfully don't need to hear these twits just harping on the Leafs...they are literally obsessed with the Leafs. Back in 2004 Don Romani said that Tie Domi beat his wife...that $1.65 million lawsuit sure shut him up...not to mention it cost him his job...

And the famous "Leafs suck" chants at SBP even when the Leafs aren't playing is classic...

Stay classy Ottawa... :LOL:

Ruki

Jul 21, 2010
It's not even limited to a ~1000km radius.

I went to a Flames-Leafs game in Calgary last season, and there were more Leafs fans than Flames fans. :laugh:

And we were very loud and passionate. Although that was somewhat subdued by our performance. :(

Still, it was an awesome atmosphere.

I was at that game! Was great to see how many Leaf fans are in Calgary. Although the game itself was depressing :(

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Does anyone else think this idea by the Sens is going to cause some problems tonight?

I can see Ottawa fans being jerks to Leafs fans and blaming everything on those Leafs fans.

They also have a number set up that you can contact to report Leafs fans and have them removed (this was mentioned on CTV News). I can see that being abused by Ottawa fans who are just being jerks and don't want Leafs fans around them (ie. calling or texting the number to report Leafs fans who haven't actually done anything).

The more i think about it, the more I believe this could be a real **** show tonight.

GoodNHLTroll*

They've tried several times in the past to forcibly remove Leafs fans...I have a bad feeling about tonight too (I'm going to the game), but Leafs fans stick together. They had to call the police last year to get rid of some of us...even if they do kick us out, we won't go quietly.

This only reflects badly on the Ottawa Senators, not Leafs fans. Sportsfans are suppose to be arrogant, loud an obnoxious. This is hockey, not ballet.

Sens fans are just butthurt that Krusy the Clown gets boo'd so badly at SBP...and the sound on TV doesn't do justice, it really gets loud to the point where you feel sorry for the Sens... :D

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They've tried several times in the past to forcibly remove Leafs fans...I have a bad feeling about tonight too (I'm going to the game), but Leafs fans stick together. They had to call the police last year to get rid of some of us...even if they do kick us out, we won't go quietly.

This only reflects badly on the Ottawa Senators, not Leafs fans. Sportsfans are suppose to be arrogant, loud an obnoxious. This is hockey, not ballet.

Sens fans are just butthurt that Krusy the Clown gets boo'd so badly at SBP...and the sound on TV doesn't do justice, it really gets loud to the point where you feel sorry for the Sens... :D

Not going quietly will simply reinforce their claims about Leafs fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad