News Article: Ottawa Senators should kick tires on Jesse Puljujarvi

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The Ottawa Senators enter a crucial rebuilding phase and adding more promising young players should be their top priority.

With the Ottawa Senators looking at building a strong, young team over the next two to three seasons, the organisation should kick tires on one player desperate to leave their current team.

That player is Jesse Puljujarvi, who is publicly hoping to find a way to leave the Edmonton Oilers this summer.

Article link here

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I would take a flyer on him, but don't think it makes sense to offer sheet him like the article suggests

Reactions: Blotto71

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com
I'm all for bringing him in. Loved the look of his potential pre-draft. He's definitely taken a step or 30 back from that but it doesn't mean he doesn't have NHL talent in there.

With that said, if he couldn't find a scoring touch on a team with McDavid, ( I understand he didn't play with him much however with practices etc. if it looked like a good opportunity he would have gotten more time there), then I wouldn't expect him to have big time scoring numbers here either. I see him as having the potential to be a top 6 forward, likely second liner, with a solid albeit not elite 2-way game.

If we can get him for spare parts, do it. If we are losing other assets of "equal" value, then hard no and pass. Especially if it's Dorion's opinion on "equal".

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hip surgery, has enough games played to need waivers to be sent to the AHL, and looking or a new contract.....a lot of factors against this.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would trade Tierney for PP. I doubt PD can get more then a second for him anyway and we don’t need more picks. It would give EDM a third line Center with a low cap hit while freeing up space for Brown and contributing towards #tank2020.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I would trade Tierney for PP. I doubt PD can get more then a second for him anyway and we don’t need more picks. It would give EDM a third line Center with a low cap hit while freeing up space for Brown and contributing towards #tank2020.
I would think Edmonton would have to add if it were PP for Tierney

Reactions: TheNewEra

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd give up a package of depth pieces, but probably nothing that would move the needle for the Oilers.

I wonder id they would have any interest in Anisimov if we were to take cap back...

To Ottawa: Sam Gagner + Brandon Manning + Jesse Puljujarvi
To Edmonton: Artem Anisimov + Paul/Sturtz/Rodewald

Oilers shed ~$1 million in cap this season, but add AA's extra year. Gives them a big, strong 3rd line center so that they can play on of Drai/Nuge with McDavid.

Sens add a bit of cap in the short term, but get out from under the 2nd year of Anisimov's deal. Sens add ~$500k in cash over the course of the deal (including ~$3.5 million this season) which might kill the deal. That being said, they get out of having to pay AA's $1.5 million Signing Bonus, so maybe they don't mind taking on the extra hit to avoid the lump sum payment.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’d make another Filatov type deal very easily, worse case scenario we “miss” on one of our 2nd/3rds, which has a pretty large chance of happening regardless.

I don’t think his hockey sense is as bad as it has been made out to be, and I think in the right environment he could turn out to be a big, 15-20 goal scoring power winger who chips in 15-20 or so assists.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The SENS are going to be maxed out of contract spots with all these upcoming picks. I can see PD using some of these 2nd’s to move from 44 to 41 to than go on off the board with a second round pick.

MP is nothing but a flier - but that is pretty much what PD uses 2nd’s for.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The SENS are going to be maxed out of contract spots with all these upcoming picks. I can see PD using some of these 2nd’s to move from 44 to 41 to than go on off the board with a second round pick.

Picks don’t become roster spots until they are signed, and 90% of them won’t be signed for 3+ years or not at all.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Picks don’t become roster spots until they are signed, and 90% of them won’t be signed for 3+ years or not at all.

Add to that that this clause;
"Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior or European league, and 3. who have not played 11 NHL games the current season."

So I see the team drafting heavy in Europe after the first couple picks.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
meh depends on the price

double hip surgery is pretty scary

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

I think you mean using the picks for paid signing bonuses.

Reactions: mdysi

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think you mean using the picks for paid signing bonuses.

Ya if (IF!!!) we quit giving out all these picks for cash, then we definitely have enough to toss a 3rd or whatever to Edmonton's for Puljujarvi. He'd be a good fit here in that he'll get plenty of ice time and opportunity. If he can't make it here he truly sucks!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel like Abramov is going to be a good player im not sure if id make that trade

Oh man i do this deal 10 out of 10. Puljujarvi's development has been destroyed by a brutal organization. His raw physical tools are there, he is a big guy they always take longer. How many small forward prospect is this team going to have? Abramov is a far bigger long shot to play in the NHL than Puljujarvi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad