News Article: Ottawa Senators should kick tires on Jesse Puljujarvi

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If he's waiver eligible, we have first dibs. Why trade anything for him?

Well, at least you changed your tune a little bit. The kid has potential. I've watched him a bit living here in the west, and he can move as well as carry the puck. He is good at possession and good on forecheck. I say he would be worth a shot either through waivers or via late round picks.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well that's certainly an interesting take for sure.
If Edm had left him in the AHL instead of rushing him into the lineup he would likely be seen much more favourably.

I prefer Brown but Puljujarvi has had his reputation damaged by being rushed imo.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The ask was a 2/3 liner for Puju. Tierney fits that bill perfectly. Would you trade him Puju straight up or would you include a pick as well.

they should be adding not us, tierney has hit 40+ in his last 2 seasons, people can say what they want but 0.5 ppg is about a 2nd liners production and paying that for an unknown that took a step back is too much

that being said poolparty is still young and still has the time and capability to hit that potential

i would do boedker retained (50%) for poolparty

as long as poolparty is willing to sign for less than 1.5 million we would be saving money and edmonton picks up more of a sure thing in boedker as a third liner.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
they should be adding not us, tierney has hit 40+ in his last 2 seasons, people can say what they want but 0.5 ppg is about a 2nd liners production and paying that for an unknown that took a step back is too much

that being said poolparty is still young and still has the time and capability to hit that potential

as long as poolparty is willing to sign for less than 1.5 million we would be saving money and edmonton picks up more of a sure thing in boedker as a third liner.
I think Edmonton have receive better offer than Boedker

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think Edmonton have receive better offer than Boedker

oh i wouldnt be surprised, but thats about the most i would be comfortable giving up for him if we are talking players on the sens right now

especially since tierney is a center and if he produces like that again im sure we will either get a high draft pick offer or more of a sure thing at the deadline if we go that route

picks wise i would do the sharks second next year at most and even that i am iffy on

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
oh i wouldnt be surprised, but thats about the most i would be comfortable giving up for him if we are talking players on the sens right now

especially since tierney is a center and if he produces like that again im sure we will either get a high draft pick offer or more of a sure thing at the deadline if we go that route

picks wise i would do the sharks second next year at most and even that i am iffy on
Yeah the second sharks of next year or the second of Dallas this year + Paul but I think Edmonton have better offer and Pulju he is a player I think turn very good with another team

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If we could get Puljujarvi for a 3rd, I imagine that trade would have already been completed.
I thought it was reported they may be looking for a third line player. Guess they didn’t want smith so we took anisimov instead?
Yeah that’s all speculation

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada

Yes sorry that's what I meant. Edmonton should be adding a third.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tierney would be fine to give up of the Sens staff have a positive evaluation of Puljujarvi.

I would be surprised if we keep Tierney long term. After this season, he has 1 RFA year left and then is a UFA where he will get 3.5-4.5 million over multiple seasons.

Although, it probably makes more sense to deal a 2nd now, keep Tierney for 19-20, and then try to recoup that 2nd by trading Tierney's RFA rights at the draft.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think this thread is a pretty good example of HF hyperbole about a prospect. People love to come in and call a player a bust, but the fact of the matter is most of the players form his draft class either just broke into the NHL or arent even there yet. Why are they held to a different standard than Puljujarvi? This stuff that he is worthless or only worth throw away players or late picks is ridiculous he is only 21 and he is a big player who always take longer to develop. I use Logan Brown as an example people value him significantly more than Puljujarvi but I just dont see any argument as to why. They have produced at a very similar rate in t he AHL and Puljujarvi plays a more physical two way game. Then you think about the difference between Ottawa and Edmonton in developing players. I think this could be a great opportunity for Ottawa to aquire what could end up being a very good two way winger.

Puljujarvi has played 53 AHL games and has scored 37 points a .7 ppg.

Brown has played 56 AHL games and has 42 points a .75 ppg.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Imagine a trade Pulju vs Tierney Tkachuk White Pulju
Duclair Anisimov Batherson
Ennis Pageau Brown
Balcers Chaplik Ryan

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd give Edmonton the Dallas 2nd rounder we have to take a chance on Poolparty.

I can't imagine it would take much more than that.

We can essentially give him as long as he needs to get back to full health after his surgeries. Manage his season & workload, play him every other game until January... The kid needs to play like 40 games this season, max. Hernia surgery ain't no joke. Basically get as much development as you can in while respecting a long-term rehab schedule that puts him in a position to really succeed in 2020/21.

Reactions: NB613

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Puljujarvi has played 53 AHL games and has scored 37 points a .7 ppg.

Brown has played 56 AHL games and has 42 points a .75 ppg.

Puljujarvi just came off double-hernia surgery. Brown has not.

I know you know this. I'm just pointing it out to anyone else reading your post.

sfulefty

May 3, 2009
Rhetorical question, but Ottawa has 8 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the next two drafts. What is more practical, throwing a 2nd round pick for Puljujarvi, or using some of those picks to move up in the first round. (and possibly acquire another first rounder)

Look at when they draft Erik Karlsson, they used a 3rd round pick to go from 18th to 15th. (Not saying they'll draft another EK65, but you get the idea)

Two second round picks often gets you a late first round pick.

So with three first round picks already in the next 2 drafts, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use those 8 2nd and 3rd round picks to acquire another first round, and possibly move up from their existing 3 first rounders (most likely the SJ pick next year, which would most likely be lower than Ottawa's).

They burned a 3rd on Filatov years ago, and it was worth the shot, considering they have a similiar number of picks after trading Mike Fisher, Chris Kelly, etc.. So it might happen. But with them already sitting at 48 or 49 contracts, it's probably not likely that they will trade a pick for a player at this point, unless some other contract goes the other way. Just my guess.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Puljujarvi just came off double-hernia surgery. Brown has not.

I know you know this. I'm just pointing it out to anyone else reading your post.

Double hip surgery for FAI fwiw. Still incredibly concerning to be having hip issues at such a young age.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously can't trade for him until Edm signs him and pays a giant signing bonus first...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad